Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Face transplant ?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by -Goose-, Nov 30, 2005.

1. -Goose-

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    WTF?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/11/30/france.face.ap/index.html

LYON, France (AP) -- French doctors on Wednesday claimed a world-first partial face transplant, saying a nose, lips and chin were grafted onto a 38-year-old woman disfigured by a dog bite.

The surgery was performed Sunday at a hospital in Amiens, northern France, according to a joint statement from the hospital and another in the southern city of Lyon. It said doctors from the two hospitals worked together.

The woman was in "excellent" condition and that the transplanted organs look "normal," the statement said. She wants to remain anonymous, it said.

Dr. Jean-Michel Dubernard, one of the surgeons who collaborated on the transplant, told The Associated Press when reached Wednesday that the transplant was the world's first of its kind.

But "we still don't know when the patient will get out," he said. He refused to give any other details, saying they would have to wait until a Friday news conference.

Scientists elsewhere have performed scalp and ear transplants in the past. However, the claim is the first for a mouth and nose transplant. Experts say the mouth and nose the most difficult parts of the face to transplant.

The woman was disfigured by a dog bite in May that made it difficult for the woman to speak and chew, the statement said. Such injuries are "extremely difficult, if not impossible" to repair using normal surgical techniques, it added.

The organs were taken from a donor who was brain dead, with the family's consent, the hospitals said. Dr. Dubernard collaborated with Dr. Bernard Devauchelle in the transplant, the hospitals said.

2. Chinorean

Chinorean Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Actually, I believe the first transplant was done in "Silence of the Lambs"
    :laugh:

3. lattimer13

lattimer13 good boy!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    they just did it on Nip/Tuck too...however, the pt eventually rejected the donor graft.

4. happydays

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I thought skin grafts were only temporary. They function as sterile covering until the patient's own skin grows back.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Hebrew Hammer

Hebrew Hammer Registered Abuser
    5+ Year Member

For all of you interested in Case Western. This is the unbelievable stuff that they are doing at the Cleveland Clinic, where they are in the process of doing the first ever full face transplant. Pretty, pretty, pretty cool. Definitely made me think about Case again.

check out this site for more info
    http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9397182/

wow!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. WhatUpDoc!

WhatUpDoc! The Sign Says It All
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    !??! You tellin me now I can date the ugly chick with the nice body and then pay for her celebrity face transplant... man, that puts a good 45% of women in my area back on the market :laugh:

7. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There is hope for me yet? bout damn time... :rolleyes:
    Watch out ladies...here comes jbone... :eek:

8. 75969

75969 Guest

Medical Student

Nope....the face is shaped by bones/muscles under the skin, in face transplants they are only replacing the skin, so the patient should look like themselves afterwards and not like the donor at all!

9. BaylorGuy

BaylorGuy Enter witty comment here
    7+ Year Member

I demand pictures of this dog-faced woman....i mean dog-bitten woman

:D