Facial hair Interview Etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjpaylor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am wondering what everyones take is on having facial hair for a dental school interview. I know they say look professional. I feel that a good clean trimmed beard is professional but for dentistry is it frowned on because you are in someone's face.

Also what about a mustache, or goatee?

I have a beard and shaved for last years interviews but that is not what I usually do.

By the way I am a guy not a bearded woman

Members don't see this ad.

I normally do the perpetual 3-day stubble look, but for interviews I just shaved. I saw no reason to chance it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I usually shaved the night before the interview, my skin rashes a little bit due to razor burn. So I had just the smallest amount of stubble which was fine imo.

Hello,

I am wondering what everyones take is on having facial hair for a dental school interview. I know they say look professional. I feel that a good clean trimmed beard is professional but for dentistry is it frowned on because you are in someone's face.

Also what about a mustache, or goatee?

I have a beard and shaved for last years interviews but that is not what I usually do.

By the way I am a guy not a bearded woman

Shave! Unless your Sean Connery it could cause a bad first impression.

Last edited:
If you're going to do a beard, don't go longer than a number 3 on your beard and mustache trimmer. And don't do a mustache....unless you're a registered sex offender, then by all means rock it.

i have had a mustache/goatee for 6 years it will be nicely trimmed but i will be keeping it for all my interviews. (i am 28 so no i have not had facial hair since i was 14)

everyone has their opinion and some interviewers may hate it, some may like it, and the majority i assume will be indifferent to it.

If you can grow a beard that anywhere resembles brian wilson's.... that's a no brainer. Go for it!!!

I would say go with whatever (tastefully) looks the best on you. I bet a trimmed beard or goatee would not matter. Your lecturers and attendings will have facial hair in the clinic, so why can't you?!

I have seen plenty of people who have had beards during their interviews get accepted to dental school. As long as your facial hair is trimmed nicely (looks professional and not like a punk rocker), then you will be fine.

That also brings up thing - suits. A suit doesn't have to be black or blue. I know people who have creme colored suits who got in including one who had a pink dress shirt as well. As long as you look professional, you are fine.

This is an interesting question, since it's something I deal with every day. I'm an ortho resident now and I prefer to always have a little bit of facial hair. Although it shouldn't matter, and I agree that people will get into dental school if they go to an interview with facial hair, there's always that SMALL chance one of your interviewers is incredibly old school and finds facial hair unprofessional. A few of my older professors in dental school and in residency bring up the subject every now and again. I say don't chance it. Prior to an interview is the only time I have a clean shave.

This is an interesting question, since it's something I deal with every day. I'm an ortho resident now and I prefer to always have a little bit of facial hair. Although it shouldn't matter, and I agree that people will get into dental school if they go to an interview with facial hair, there's always that SMALL chance one of your interviewers is incredibly old school and finds facial hair unprofessional. A few of my older professors in dental school and in residency bring up the subject every now and again. I say don't chance it. Prior to an interview is the only time I have a clean shave.

And then there is a chance your interviewer has facial hair as my interviewer did who might very well appreciate a person with facial hair. Right now, I am in the process of taking a summer elective in laser dentistry. I do not usually have facial hair, but right now I am letting my face grow out while I am not working on patients. The profs (young and old) are digging the look - even the female type including one ortho prof (oooohhhhhh).

Point is - there will always be people who see things one way and other people who see it another way. From what I have experienced, people DO get in with having beards in the interviews. How people view it? Well, I guess that will vary from place to place. My personal belief, if it is well maintained and it looks good on you, then I am sure no one will mind it!
So

Also, one more thing to point out. You went to Haw-vard. Selection there is a lot different than most schools. If you are dealing with an average acceptace GPA of around 3.77 and AA near 24, then you need all your ducks in a line. Plus, Harvard is a very conservative school. So, you are more likely to hear comments there about facial hair since there will be more old geezers there who are fuddy duddies. There is a big difference between facial stubble that people will have and a full grown beard that is manicured in the way people view it as professional or not.

Does this also apply to females with facial hair?

Rocking a gator etched in my beard when i go for an interview at UF... and for texas schools...dallas on one cheek and mavs on the other...you know kinda show them i got dexterity skills even before i get into their school...wont that be hillarious if someone did this and get accepted? i am just thinking out aloud and this wont happen.