Facial piercings and vet school

Started by breenie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Most women have their ears pierced once and, in any professions that I know of, aren't asked to take them out. How many of them actually have them ripped out? So who really cares if you have a few more studs?

I was there when a receptionist was playing with an overzealous older puppy who ripped her earring out. It was a diamond earring. And then he ate it. So she had a partially ripped hole in her ear (the clasp came off after some of the pulling so it didn't rip completely through) and her diamond inside a puppy's belly. A loaf of bread and a few days later she had her earring back covered in poop and she never wore earrings to work again.
 
If it's a STUD and not a RING, what are the chances of it getting ripped out? Most women have their ears pierced once and, in any professions that I know of, aren't asked to take them out. How many of them actually have them ripped out? So who really cares if you have a few more studs?

If a cat or dog goes for my ears, I think I'm going to have much bigger problems then having a stud ripped out. Back when I had my navel pierced, I was much more worried about having that ripped out. I regretted it the first time I tried to restrain an animal. That wasn't even a visible piercing.

But a little retainer in the lip or nose or eyebrow? You're seriously more worried about that being ripped out?

Does anyone here have a healed cartilage piercing? A pitbull would have to have it's jaw locked around my ears in order to pull that thing out. My cartilage piercing is tough.

Not saying that the risk isn't there. I just think you're exaggerating it a little. If it really was that significant of a risk, these pierced vets and techs would have all retired their piercings out of fear by now. Yet, they're still around.

Just saying. Can anyone here actually prove me wrong on this?

My bad for not being specific. I was talking about rings only and I don't really count eat piercings as facial piercings (dumb, I know).

Of course this is all a crazy hypothetical situation that I don't think would ever happen. I do, however, cringe a little when I see girls handling horses with huge hoop earrings in.

And just out of curiosity, if you had your lip pierced with a stud would it be bad if a dog slammed his head into it? Wouldn't it dig into your gums and be very painful?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And just out of curiosity, if you had your lip pierced with a stud would it be bad if a dog slammed his head into it? Wouldn't it dig into your gums and be very painful?

Hmm, can anyone with a lip piercing answer that question? Kind of curious myself. If it's anything like my piercings, it would have to hit at a certain speed and a certain angle in order for it to cause any pain. Like... you could hit my navel piercing square on and it I wouldn't feel it. But if you hook it going up or going down... youch.

According to the world of piercings, ear is different from body which is different from oral. I think it's based on their aftercare. Lip is considered oral, while eyebrow is body for example.

I love my ear piercings. I spent a lot of money on my piercings. I'd hate to remove something that wasn't very noticeable to begin with. My best friends can't even tell me how many I have. I think I have just lucked out... those who do notice are very curious. The dental hygienist (who must be in her 40s) asked me if it was okay if she showed her coworker.

I am a little too self-conscious to get a visible facial piercing. Unfortunately, it's the first thing I notice about someone. I can see how it lead to a negative image. I don't know if it's based on how I was raised or what, but it does take me a while before I forget that it's there. Kudos to those who can pull them off though. I envy you.
 
The pit bull dog lover inside of me just died a little with this quote 🙁. Please don't use the MYTH that pit bulls can "lock" their jaws onto anything or that they have a stronger "bite power" than other large breeds to make your argument. These dogs really don't need any more drama.

END THREAD TAKE-OVER.

Fine fine. A St Bernard with an overbite takes a chunk out of your ear.

And for the record, I hope the fact that I actually want a pit bull one day makes up for that.
 
With reminds me... a friend of a friend of mine woke up covered in blood. Turns out his cat was playing with his nipple piercings while he was asleep and ripped them both out. How he didn't notice, I do not know.

Dear sweet jesus. Remind me never to sleep topless if I get a cat. I died quite a bit inside when I read that.
 
Fine fine. A St Bernard with an overbite takes a chunk out of your ear.

And for the record, I hope the fact that I actually want a pit bull one day makes up for that.

The fact that you want to own a pit bull one day means that you need to be very aware that there are people who will think your dog is dangerous based upon his appearance and not his behavior, and you need to be very aware of what is coming out of your mouth. You should want to stop the myths associated with the breed you want to own, not perpetuate them.

Just be careful. Your future dog will thank you 🙂
 
The fact that you want to own a pit bull one day means that you need to be very aware that there are people who will think your dog is dangerous based upon his appearance and not his behavior, and you need to be very aware of what is coming out of your mouth. You should want to stop the myths associated with the breed you want to own, not perpetuate them.

Just be careful. Your future dog will thank you 🙂

I'm like the only person on SDN who has never owned a dog in my life, so pardon me if I slipped up. It was more like a bad choice of wording rather than a lack of education. You know how a dog will latch on to a tug-of-war toy and never let go no matter how hard you pull? That's what I was thinking of when I made the comment... even though, I'm sure I've read that those toys aren't good for your pet... that's just what first came to my mind.

My point being, if the dog is intent on pulling your ear off, you've got bigger problems whether you have piercings or not.
 
Okay y'all, while I was totally happy to watch this thread fly of the rails onto other topics relating to piercings, I don't think we need to get into a PITBULL discussion here...
 
Agreed.

That is also kind of like saying "The president of the United States can be pedophile as long as no one knows about it." That is a ridiculous example, but saying piercings are okay for the field as long as you never actually wear them is pretty much acknowledging that they are not okay for the field. This is all on a practical stance and not a moral one of course.

But honestly, with the hassle of taking out all body jewelry just to go to work each day (you would need retainers also unless your body closes slowly) why even bother? Just be lame and get magnetic if the image is so important. 🙂

This was quite possibly the most outlandish, ridiculous thing I have ever read on the internet.

1. I discussed safety, not professionalism.
2. Comparing pedophilia to piercings? Really? If you admit the argument is ridiculous, maybe you shouldn't make it.
3. It takes me less than two minutes to remove all 11 of my piercings. And I can leave them out for over 24 hours without them even tightening.

To clarify a few other points that were brought up:
- lip "studs" aren't like the studs you wear in your ear. They have flat backs or hook like an L.
- be realistic: yes, an eyebrow barbell/lip stud/non-hoop jewelry can be ripped out. A classmate's puppy just tore out her flat surface piercing last night by kicking it. Enjoy your piercings, but don't be stupid. They can absolutely pose a risk in this field.

To be clear, no, I do not think it is appropriate to wear body jewlery/excessive jewelry of any kind while at work in the veterinary medical field. That has nothing to do with the image it portrays and everything to do with the safety risk jewelry can pose. Everything else is, in my opinion, irrelevant.
 
Dear sweet jesus. Remind me never to sleep topless if I get a cat. I died quite a bit inside when I read that.

Seriously... I have no idea how the guy managed to sleep through that!

I don't have any adventurous piercings, but I woke up one night to one of my cats (here's looking at you, Nicholas) attempting to forcibly remove a dangly earring from one of my ears. It hurt like hell. I screamed, the thing popped out, and the cat inhaled it and started choking. I had to flip him over, hold his mouth open, and shake the earring out. (It would've potentially been dangerous if he'd managed to swallow it.) It was an unpleasant experience for all involved.

I no longer sleep with earrings in unless they're studs, and save the "fun", quirky stuff for outside the clinic. As far as facial piercings go, even with studs, I'd be concerned about the damage a dog's paw could do if it caught the piercing the wrong way.
 
I frankly have no idea how he managed it either o_o he must have been exhausted/inebriated/otherwise incapacitated, because coming from someone with a set, I noticed when someone hugs me tighter than normal so... yeah.

My puppy was sleeping in my lap and woke suddenly, barking, and got ahold of my ear. Thankfully the backs on my earrings are very tight (I never take them out) so he didn't swallow one, but he did give it a good pull and my ear was swollen for a couple days.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just popping in to say I had a lab today and 3 out of 4 vets (including 1 guy) had facial piercings and two of them also had visible tattoos.

🙂

Carry on
 
Wow, I'm amazed at the name calling in this thread, on both sides. What was really funny was the person using an insulting term for people who are intolerant of their position, while complaining of the intolerance. I come from a corporate culture (if you can call it that - it might as well be a straight up culture for as much of your life as it involves). The only call I make from a tattoo is based on location and content. If you got the name of the stripper you met last week inked on your neck, I'm going to question your maturity and judgment. I only really care about how well you perform your job and how dependable you are.
Piercings are a different story. I find them to be a distraction. I'm not going to recount a thread I posted in earlier, so if you care about my views, you can look it up. For the record, you could sum it up as very favorable. I blame going through puberty in England.