fact or myth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

San Diego Bob

Neophyte Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
a friend of mine was going to go in to dentistry but switched her route to teaching , her main concern was a rumor, which I think is ridiculous, that dentists have the highest rate of suicides of all the medical professions....please let me know if you have heard this before and try to help me figure out if this is a FACT OR MYTH???? :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

San Diego Bob said:
a friend of mine was going to go in to dentistry but switched her route to teaching , her main concern was a rumor, which I think is ridiculous, that dentists have the highest rate of suicides of all the medical professions....please let me know if you have heard this before and try to help me figure out if this is a FACT OR MYTH???? :cool:

its a fact. and if someone opted not to into dentistry simply because they heard that this was the word on the street then its better they quit now rather than later. i think the problem lies within the fact that many people become dentists simply because they couldnt get into med school or merely for the prestige of having a dr. before their name. you have to have a certain type of personality to become a successful dentist. if you're too uptight then you can find yourself in a world of trouble.

pbure said:
its a fact. and if someone opted not to into dentistry simply because they heard that this was the word on the street then its better they quit now rather than later. i think the problem lies within the fact that many people become dentists simply because they couldnt get into med school or merely for the prestige of having a dr. before their name. you have to have a certain type of personality to become a successful dentist. if you're too uptight then you can find yourself in a world of trouble.
Contrary to what Mr. Wizard here thinks, the suicide thing is complete bunk. It grew from one poorly designed and controlled study several years ago, and has since been contradicted MANY times by legitimate research:

http://www.suicidereferencelibrary.com/test4~id~1368.php
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/010420.html

Granted, these aren't the most official documents ever produced, but they do offer literature citations. I doubt pbure can proffer even this much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm only 2 weeks into my first year, and I already want to kill myself. Kidding ;) :D

Whoever says this suicide thing is a fact, show some evidence for it. And on the flip side, whoever says its a myth, again back it up with some evidence. Lets settle this matter here and now.

:smuggrin:

pbure said:
i think the problem lies within the fact that many people become dentists simply because they couldnt get into med school or merely for the prestige of having a dr. before their name.

You're full of sh't; don't be making generalizations here. Unacceptable.

Let me get something straight...She dropped dentistry because she "heard" that dentists have a high suicide rate??

Thats like LeBron James dropping basketball because some players end up tearing their ACL's.

Thats just ridiculous.

Looks like the desire to do dentistry was never there. And if she is worried that she may end up killing herself like the rest of those suicide dentists, then she has some problems to deal with. My dad's a psychiatrist, Im sure he would be happy to help.

Coincidentally, Bill's references name psychiatrists and female physicians as two of the highest risk suicide groups. Better keep a close eye on your pa, Rez. :laugh:

pbure said:
I NEED to comment on this entry, so my apologies in advance:
1.) I doubt people go through these 4 years of school to have "Dr." before their name. When you hear Dr., you think of MD. I know many dentists who prefer not to be called Dr. and just simply use the DMD or DDs after their name (not sure why).
2.) I honestly don't believe that many people "defect" from medical school to dental school just because medical school denied them. Most medical students should know of osteopathic medicine, and if they decide to chose dental school with its requirements, I don't see why they wouldn't chose osteopathic medicine, which has the same requirements as medical school, just a lower average standard
3.) I don't think your personality now is a fair judge of what you will be when you are a dentist. Dental school will mature anyone--that's what it's job is. That's why it isn't a certification course or what not. It takes talent, maturity, and understanding. So who you are now will NOT be who you are at the end of the 4 years

I just had to clarify the waY i felt about the comment, nothing personal! :luck:

Tabbycattia - I might have to disagree with #3. ;)

Oh come on. Do you people *actually* worry about stuff like this?

Bickle said:
I'm only 2 weeks into my first year, and I already want to kill myself. Kidding ;) :D

Whoever says this suicide thing is a fact, show some evidence for it. And on the flip side, whoever says its a myth, again back it up with some evidence. Lets settle this matter here and now.

:smuggrin:

captaintripps said:
You're full of sh't; don't be making generalizations here. Unacceptable.

that's a not uncommon reaction to every single post i've ever read. ;) but then again, that just shows how much diversity there is on sdn. a lot of different opionins/viewpoints/reports and even the ones i don't agree with are interesting and informing.

i am not particularly scared about suicide being a problem. i figure that if it got that bad, i could always do something else and still enjoy my life. plus, suicide, on some level, is something that one can control and therefor isn't something that i would worry about. i would worry about foreign dentists undercutting the market. that is a possiblity that i really can't control..at least not by myself.

i also want to say that i stressed out hardcore in college and the first few weeks of dental school have been more relaxing. that might just be my personal experience but it looks as if i will enjoy the fat cat dental lifestyle.

:laugh:

Let me tell you about suicide, try becoming a code monkey or a network engineer. This is one of the reasons why I got into dentistry and that is to escape suicide.

I did a quick search on this suicide myth a few months back just so I could know what I was talking about when I told people they were full of $hit...from the papers I looked at there was no evidence of dentists having an abnormal suicide rate, but I remember the suicide rate of female physicians was pretty high up there. Maybe we should pool together and start a new and improved suicide rumor.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/08/26/1093456711038.html?oneclick=true

Suicide myth bites the dust
August 26, 2004
Page Tools

* Email to a friend
* Printer format

Grin and bear it: Darlinghurst dentist Dr Mark Levi says pressure to perform is part of the burden of his career. Photo: Natalie Boog

Despite the pressure of their jobs, the theory that dentists are prone to suicide is unproven, writes Patrick Watson.

A dentist in Britain named John Wishart recently drank three bottles of wine before killing himself. Known for his sense of humour, the dentist left a fourth bottle for the police along with a note recommending the claret.

According to London's Daily Telegraph, the coroner who dealt with the case said: "He retained his sense of humour to the very end." Which brings us to an unsourced idea that has been popular for years - that dentists are the professional group with the highest rate of suicide. Is there any basis to it?

Dr John Snowdon, professor at the Sydney Central Clinical School of Psychological Medicine, says past studies have shown that dentists do have a high rate of suicide, but he is not aware of any current research on the topic. However, suicide rates for doctors overall are higher than most professions, he says, though nobody knows why.

Snowdon says suicide is a complex phenomenon but he puts forward one reason those in the medical professions may have higher rates of suicide: they have the knowledge and the tools to carry it out.
Advertisement Advertisement

Darlinghurst dentist Dr Mark Levi adds another perspective. He says dentists work under immense pressure with little social contact. "There's a responsibility to perform. To work in a confined space which is wet, dark and sensitive - that's a challenge, you see.

"They want to do their best, but there's a lot of pressure to perform. You have a patient on a chair, jumping around, crying, and that can lead to you thinking you've not achieved your best. Perfectionism is the problem."

In one Australian study (which applied to men only), occupation and suicide tables indicate that between the years 1968 and 1981, dentists were ranked 33rd on a list of those most likely to commit suicide by occupation, with 15.5 dentists per 100,000 doing so. Doctors ranked 10th (34.5 per 100,000) and nurses at number two (55.7), while sailors (58.2) were the most likely to commit suicide.

In Suicide Explained - The Australian Experience, sociologist Riaz Hassan says there is relationship between occupational prestige and suicide, and that the suicide rate of those in the bottom fifth of occupational prestige is almost double that of those in the highest fifth. This evidence is supported by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare.

Levi, however, says: "[It has] nothing to do with job satisfaction; loneliness is a big factor."

He has a point. If doctors are higher on the suicide list than dentists, then lack of prestige seems less likely to be a factor.

The statistics, however, may simply be leading us astray. American writer Cecil Adams says suicide research is always dubious.

"[This is], in part, because suicides are often concealed," he writes. "Equally important from, a statistical standpoint, is the problem of small numbers: dentists represent only a small fraction of the total population, only a small fraction of them die in a given year, and only a small fraction of those who die are suicides. So you've got people drawing grand conclusions based on tiny samples."

Hugo Sasch, president of the NSW branch of the Australian Dental Association, says he is aware of the suicide rate theory, but knows of no evidence to support it.

The mystery, it seems, remains. Considering the high suicide rate of seafarers, Levi wonders whether his new hobby is a good idea. He has recently started learning to sail.

* Top of Page