Factor V Leiden : UW is wrong here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lordman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please check question 4112. Choice B should be wrong! It states that Factor V Leiden causes prolonged PT and PTT! I remember from step 1 that both will be normal even with adding factor C. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Well I can't access UW anymore, but PT and PTT wouldn't be prolonged in FVL. Activated protein C resistance would lead to increased proportions of activated factor V and a normal, or even low, aPTT. And I don't see how PT would even relate here.

Reactions: 1 users
Well I can't access UW anymore, but PT and PTT wouldn't be prolonged in FVL. Activated protein C resistance would lead to increased proportions of activated factor V and a normal, or even low, aPTT. And I don't see how PT would even relate here.

Thanks man. After some search I found that they can both normal, or prolonged, but never decreases.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see they changed the explanation in uworld also yesterday for this question; they have now taken out that line.

Reactions: 1 user
I see they changed the explanation in uworld also yesterday for this question; they have now taken out that line.

Yeah I just saw that. All it says is that Lupus anticoagulant could prolong PTT, but Factor V Leiden is obviously thrombogenic.

so in the Functional aPC resistance assays, is PTT normal, decreased or increased? if pt has factor V leiden