Factors in choosing a PT school =]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darkangel77

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

What are some of the factors you would consider when the time comes to choose between physical therapy schools? Other than cost or location :) What, in your mind, would make one school "better" than another?

Any input/feedback is appreciated!

~Christine

Members don't see this ad.

-Licensure exam passing percentages
-Faculty experienced? Most have Phds? Specialized in ortho, cardio peds? etc...

-Licensure exam passing percentages
-Faculty experienced? Most have Phds? Specialized in ortho, cardio peds? etc...

Personally, I would rather have faculty that were clinicians for a long time before moving into academia. PhDs are nice for research stuff, but if they have never really set foot in an actual clinic (and some researchers haven't) then I think your clinical education may suffer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd go for licensure exam percentage

your top 2 concerns should be cost of attendance and licensure pass rate on the first try

If you like research, you should look into what their faculty is working on to see if you're interested in being a part of it. Some schools will allow you to work closely with faculty, go to conferences with them, and even get published alongside them. That might be a deciding factor if your goal is to get your PhD later on, get into academia, etc..