Factors to consider when choosing a PT program? TWU vs. UTSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jny1720

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was accepted to my top two choices for PT school: TWU (Houston) and UT Southwestern in Dallas.
I'm having a really hard time choosing between the 2 programs, so I was wondering if y'all had any input on factors to consider in making my choice.

Some basic things I have already considered:
- location: both schools are in large cities. My family lives in DFW and I went to school in Houston so I'm familiar with both areas and have a good support system in both. Both are also located in large medical centers, so lots of clinical opportunities.
- cost: roughly the same
- program length: would graduate UTSW in winter 2023 while TWU would be spring 2024
- reputation: TWU seems to have a slight edge here? I may be wrong on this
- faculty: pretty well-rounded at both schools
- boards passing rate: great at both schools

I have no doubt that both programs are great and I can't really make a "wrong" choice. I've definitely heard some interesting things about UTSW - I've heard that it seems that the school focuses a TON on their image/reputation, and someone also told me that they had a lot of friends who ended up failing out of UTSW bc of their difficult & super packed schedules (i guess because the program is slightly accelerated). However, I do like that I would graduate earlier and that there's opportunities for collaboration with students in the other health/medical programs. For TWU, I've heard that the program is also insanely rigorous, but I like its location in the TMC and it seems to have an amazing reputation as a PT program both in Texas and nationwide. Overall, both programs seem to have tons of amazing resources and opportunities.

If anyone is a student at/graduated from either of these programs I'd love to hear about your experiences! I'd also love any advice on choosing a program. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Factors to think about that don't necessarily have right or wrong answers:
- Anatomy labs- are they cadavers? Digital? Do you do the dissections? Prosections?
- Are all clinicals at the end of the program or spaced throughout?
- Are there short (day long) clinical experiences early on?
- Opportunities to do research? Do the students actually do hands on data collection or more systematic reviews?
- class size (big class has pros and cons)
- structure of curriculum- lots of lectures? team based learning? Are hands on clinical courses interspersed with more lecture courses?
- any interprofessional education with PAs, MDs, OTs, nursing, etc
- are faculty actively practicing or do they bring in clinicians who are practicing?
- is it feasible to live close by? Remember to factor in costs of housing, transportation (parking is $$), etc.
- any added perks? Like funded APTA memberships or the school pays you to go to the Combined Sections Meeting (the big PT conference)
- faculty involvement in APTA

You should reach out to current students in both programs and ask them questions about professors, rotations, labs, living expenses, community outreach all that. I know many schools are doing a hybrid type of curriculum right now because of COVID so that's important to consider if it'll go on until you start.

You should also consider what each school specializes in and what you want to go into. Some programs have have a stronger sports therapy track that allows you to get certifications on top of a PT degree. If there’s a field you want to specialize in, you should definitely look into those advanced track opportunities. You could look into their elective options, clinical sites, even professors and their research.