Factors when picking a school

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by whyrightmeow, Nov 18, 2008.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. serher

serher c/o 2021

Pre-Veterinary
    I would also appreciate updated pros/cons for WSU if a current student wouldn't mind! :)

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Momokeen

Momokeen

Pre-Veterinary
    Can anyone give me any input about choosing a school based on the classes they offer in your interest area? And deciding on where to go for interviews when you have too many interviews. I'm trying to decide on going to interview at Michigan and Minnesota. I've been accepted to Midwestern (and Western but pretty set on not going there) which is less expensive than the two. Though I worry about the lack of reputation of a new school and I know that Minnesota offers a lot of really cool public health classes in their curriculum which is my interest area. But it's also crazy expensive. I have 3 other schools I'm interviewing at other than those (Colorado, Kansas, Tufts) and I'm trying to save some money. I'm also really hoping to get into Mizzou which is much less expensive than all of those schools and I really think (hope) my interview went well. I'm kind of struggling with this so any input anyone can give would be much appreciated :/.

4. batsenecal

batsenecal U of I c/o 2020 2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Are they on the same day and are you unable to switch interview days?

So you've applied to Michigan, Minnesota, Midwestern, Western, Mizzou, Colorado, Kansas, and Tufts. As far as saving money, I would look at two things in regards to where to go: cost of tuition and cost of living. I would go to the school that has the cheapest option between the two concerns. For example, Colorado has a higher cost of living than Illinois. A classmate was IS for Colorado and waitlisted; pulled off the wait list for a non-sponsored (OOS) seat. He still picked Illinois over Colorado due to the cost of living (tuition is pretty close from what I understand for OOS).

Most schools will be able to help you get experience in most areas. I feel like a lot of people get most of their influence from searching outside the classes (internships/externships/hanging out in the hospital/etc).

WildZoo, SandstormDVM and vetmedhead like this.
  5. Jilary

Jilary UPenn c/o 2019 2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I would base the decision off money rather than classes offered. You will get the experience you want as long as you go to an accredited school. As far as the interviews go, if you can't reschedule one of them, I'd lean towards the one you feel you are more likely to be accepted based on stats. That's a tough one though. If you feel you have an equal chance to get into both, choose the cheaper option.

batsenecal and SandstormDVM like this.
  6. Momokeen

Momokeen

Pre-Veterinary
    Thank you to those who have replied! I think I wasn't clear enough, none of the interviews are at the same time so I can potentially go to all of them. I interviewed at 4 schools (accepted to Midwestern and Western, rejected by Davis, waiting to hear from Mizzou) already and am planning to also go to Colorado, Kansas, and Tufts. I'm just not sure about going to Michigan and Minnesota in addition to all of those. Going to interviews is so expensive and I really wasn't expecting to get so many interviews, but I applied to 15 schools so yeah. They both have such high tuition and the cold is a little intimidating. I guess right now I'm just trying to figure out if by just counting Midwestern as my acceptance, would I rather go there than either of those schools because it has lower tuition, isn't miserably freezing, and is closer to family. I know this is a decision I have to make but I think I'm just having a hard time deciding. If I had the acceptance to Mizzou then I would decline both but we won't hear for a few weeks and I don't want to bank on that just in case.

7. batsenecal

Veterinary Student
    @Momokeen, if you are accepted to only Michigan, Minnesota, Midwestern, and Western, which would you want to go to most?

8. twelvetigers

twelvetigers Hold on, let me ruin everything 7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Verified
    Veterinarian
    If your answer is Midwestern, then you can definitely politely decline interviews to save money and time. Someone else will get to interview, too, and that's nice for them (assuming they fill your time slot).

WildZoo and batsenecal like this.
  9. Platypus0417

Platypus0417

Pre-Veterinary
    Do any of the schools you listed above allow you to change residency after your first year? So you can pay the in-state tuition as opposed to the horrendous out of state tuition?

10. kcoughli

kcoughli Minnesota c/o 2017 2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Some have horrendous in state tuition as well :p

Platypus0417 likes this.
  11. Platypus0417

Platypus0417

Pre-Veterinary
    Where are you from, if you dont mind me asking? Looking at your list the best way to save would be Kansas!!! Tuition and room /board is a lot cheaper!!

12. Platypus0417

Platypus0417

Pre-Veterinary
    Also I don't think Midwestern is accredited!!

13. Platypus0417

Platypus0417

Pre-Veterinary
    I was over here complaining about OregonSU out of state tuition ($44,538) but damn the schools you listed are pricey!!!!

14. batsenecal

Veterinary Student
    They have assurance of accreditation. Once their first class graduates in 2018, they will be fully accredited. Could something happen? Yes. Is it very likely? No.

44k is fantastic compared to a lot of schools. lol.

15. Platypus0417

Platypus0417

Pre-Veterinary
    The downside is I can't change residency after my first year....I dont get why Oregon does not allow that....Missouri, WSU, and Davis etc allows it :barf:

Petsfurever likes this.
  16. batsenecal

Veterinary Student
    Most schools don't allow it, actually. Out of 30 schools, I think less than 8 or 9 of them allow it. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that as an OOS, you contribute/have contributed significantly less in taxes than the IS students. Those taxes have helped pay for the school to function. But I may be off base there.

17. TrashPanda

TrashPanda Class of 2021! (accepted)

Pre-Veterinary
    I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think it has to do with state laws and isn't necessarily up to the individual school. The vast majority of schools don't allow it- it's just the ones you mentioned plus Ohio State (which is still insanely expensive!) and NC State.

If only... I think it's more like 5 that allow it.

batsenecal and SandstormDVM like this.
  18. SandstormDVM

SandstormDVM Iowa State c/o 2020 Silver Donor

Veterinary Student
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it's only Mizzou, Ohio State, UC Davis, WSU, and NCSU that allow OOS students to be considered IS for tuition purposes after first year. Or at least without marrying a resident of that state or something like that.

19. batsenecal

Veterinary Student
    Okay, I knew about that list, but I don't know much at all about some schools, stop I buffered my number just in case there were a few I didn't know about.

SandstormDVM likes this.
  20. Momokeen

Momokeen

Pre-Veterinary
    I'm from California :). Didn't get in to Davis and I'm definitely going to interview at Kansas. Hoping to get into Mizzou because my brother lives there and they allow you to change to in-state. But I also want to see the other schools. But yeah basically what worries me about Midwestern is that they are new and they don't have a sick large animal hospital, but it is cheaper than both Michigan and Minnesota. So I guess I'm not 100% on which one I would choose if I only got into those.

21. Jilary

Jilary UPenn c/o 2019 2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Even if something does happen and midwestern doesn't get accredited, any student enrolled will still graduate as if from a fully accredited school, so no risk there.

22. BishopFaust

BishopFaust

Pre-Veterinary
    Since Midwestern is being discussed right now I need some quick advice about possibly picking a school...
    I am debating on the following:
    • Applying to Midwestern just in case the last school I applied to this round (UGA) rejects me.
    • Applying to Midwestern anyway and contemplating the costs/etc of moving to UGA vs. Midwestern...I live in CA so Midwestern is much closer, but the tuition costs for Midwestern is obviously more than UGA.
    • Foregoing all of the above and re-applying to schools during the next VMCAS cycle.
    I know Midwestern can be a polarizing topic here on the forum, but ideally I would like to start school this year.

23. Liquid_Phoenix

Liquid_Phoenix

Pre-Veterinary
    You could wait until you find out whether or not you've been accepted at UGA before applying to MWU. UGA should be making their decisions by the end of January/beginning of February according to the email they recently sent. Midwestern accepts applications until the March 1st deadline.

24. Liquid_Phoenix

Liquid_Phoenix

Pre-Veterinary
    Any current Midwestern students willing to add to the document for Midwestern pros/cons?

25. alohacat319

alohacat319 c/o 2020

Veterinary Student
    @hazelmoo

hazelmoo and Liquid_Phoenix like this.
  26. hazelmoo

hazelmoo Class of 2020!

Veterinary Student
    Pros: everything
    Cons: it's expensive

:p

27. Liquid_Phoenix

Liquid_Phoenix

Pre-Veterinary
    Hahahahahaha :D

28. Momokeen

Momokeen

Pre-Veterinary
    @hazelmoo do you feel like you lack large animal (sick) or wildlife experience at all?

29. hazelmoo

hazelmoo Class of 2020!

Veterinary Student
    Not AT ALL. We have a great large animal program, and the wildlife opportunities are certainly there if you chose to take advantage of them! We don't have a wildlife rehab clinic yet, but I don't feel that I'm missing out on anything because I find wildlife stuff to do and take advantage of it.

Liquid_Phoenix likes this.
  30. batsenecal

Veterinary Student
    Not sure it I will add that to the list just for fun or not. Lol

Liquid_Phoenix and hazelmoo like this.
  31. Momokeen

Momokeen

Pre-Veterinary
    Awesome. That's great to hear :)

32. amgoose319

amgoose319

Anyone have any insight as to pros/cons for Lincoln Memorial?

About the ads