Factors when picking a school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whyrightmeow

OSU c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am in my first year and there are a few things I wish I would have considered before I made my final decision. These are only my opinion, and I won't be offended if yours varies. I am only posting this because I wish I would have read something like it before I made my decision.

I am at The Ohio State University right now as an out of state student.

Positives:
Can apply for resident tuition next year
Great school, nice facilities
Curriculum includes Professional development - basically a 1 credit course on a variety of topics including stress, time managment, finances, etc
Parking is right outside the building
Parking pass is a hang tag, so carpoolers can share 1 tag between several cars
24 hr access to building
Nice recreational facility/wall climbing
Social worker available 24/7 (for when you finally have that meltdown)

Negatives:
Quarter system (not semesters) - this complicates everything. Plus you don't finish until June.
Can only leave for 3 weeks over the summer - so any externship must be in-state unless it is HIGHLY unusual.
Lockers are tiny; a normal bookbag will not fit into them. It is also very crowded when everyone is trying to get to their locker at the same time. (seems minor, I know, but its the little stresses that are the worst)

Things I wish I would have asked:
Is anatomy lab structured, or do you just get a dog and a book? (Our canine anatomy lab is, in my opinion, poorly structured)
Are tests returned to students, or is it against honor code to write down questions from the test? (At OSU vet school no tests are returned, EVER. This bothers me after every test, since I like to know what I got wrong and what the correct answer was - this may have been a deal-breaker for me)
How much (live) animal interaction is there for first year students?
Do you buy class notes or are they posted online so notes can be taken directly on a laptop? (I was amazed at needing to buy 80% of my notes, when I came from an undergrad school that I never once bought a course pack for)
Is the schedule set, or does it change from day to day? (Our schedule has a main theme, but basically changes a little each day)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
MidwesternU vs. Western? Any thoughts greatly appreciated! :)

Western is just slightly the cheaper of the two, and is AVMA accredited. Midwestern is a great school from what I have heard so far but has not graduated a class yet, so that's something to think about. You have an accredited, trusted school, and a newer school with no graduates. Sadly, you may to face a stigma in the workforce graduating from a newer school. And also, you get to be near Los Angeles at Western. What more could you ask? ;)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a second-year at Kansas State. Here's what I can think of off the top of my head:

Pros:
-Parking is rarely a problem, though does cost $150 a year. On gamedays, we sell spaces as a freshman fundraiser, but vet students don't have to pay and can park no prob.
-Probably the most dedicated faculty I can imagine. They are all teaching for the right reasons! I've heard of some places where research is the main focus of faculty, but not here--they have genuine respect and affection for their students and are dedicated to helping them succeed.
-free tutoring if you need it
-If you're a large-animal person, you're in good company here! About half of each class is large-animal focused.
-the Biosecurity Research Institute just opened and is a Level III biocontainment facility--we've got a close relationship with them and the building is next door to the vet school
-finalist location for the next Plum Island (calling all Public Health people!)
-our curriculum is now "paperless"--school issues tablet PCs, all notes are online, we use Microsoft OneNote. this is a pro and a con for too many reasons to be detailed here...but interesting. No note packets!
-the people--I'm from the east coast and am continually amazed at how kind, polite, and just plain NICE the people are in Manhattan, KS.
-anatomy lab: 5 "floating" instructors to help groups with a dog and a book.
-good-size lockers and study carrels
-library is in the same building as our classrooms, and the classrooms are directly connected via an elevated walkway to the teaching hospital
-compared to where I'm from, the cost of living is very low!

Cons:
-as an out-of-stater, it is a pain in the butt for my boyfriend to visit me for the weekend or for me to go home--the nearest major airport is a two-hour drive away :mad:
-the classrooms are FREEZING cold, even to the point of distraction (numb nose + numb toes=short attention span)
-not too much live animal stuff the first two years
-pharmacology is taught in a single semester (supposedly changing the curriculum to have it over 2-3 semesters in time for the class of 2013, but who knows when it'll actually happen?)
-not terribly much to do in Manhattan--which is kind of a pro, because you don't have much time anyway--but even the nearest Olive Garden is 45 minutes away :rolleyes:
-if you're politically/socially liberal, you have to be a bit more careful about how openly you express your views--this is a very conservative area of the country--also, some things you overhear may be surprising (!)
-the tablet PC thing (see above)
-even though we're in tablet PC/modern mode, the teaching hospital's records are largely paper-based (!) and kind of a pain

That's about all I can think of...other pros and cons are more vet-school-in-general pros and cons that I'm sure people experience everywhere. :)

Hi,
I'm a junior in my undergrad making my list of vet schools to apply to. I have family in Kansas state so I would like to go there. However I myself am not a state resident so i would like to know how to gain residency I am also interested in small animal, not large animal and I was wondering what was offered for that? Also, not major but for the PC thing, am i allowed to print the notes they post and write on them during lectures, that's how I learn best.

Thanks!

Hi,
I'm a junior in my undergrad making my list of vet schools to apply to. I have family in Kansas state so I would like to go there. However I myself am not a state resident so i would like to know how to gain residency I am also interested in small animal, not large animal and I was wondering what was offered for that? Also, not major but for the PC thing, am i allowed to print the notes they post and write on them during lectures, that's how I learn best.

Thanks!
Generally, in order to apply as an IS, you will have had to live in the state for a year prior to the application with all the typical residency stuff taken care of (Driver's license, voting, etc.). There are some exceptions where you can show you are working full time currently and thus get in as IS, but I think that varies by state. Even with all of that, there will be variations by state, so your best bet is to email the school to find out more!

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, I went through the last couple of pages and added some new info to the document.

Attachments

• Factors When Picking a School-1.docx
    111.3 KB · Views: 422
Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, I went through the last couple of pages and added some new info to the document.

I love the "Parking is $150 a year" cons.. it's $800/year at Cornell..more if you want a different type of pass (but most vet students don't need those) :yeahright:

I love the "Parking is $150 a year" cons.. it's $800/year at Cornell..more if you want a different type of pass (but most vet students don't need those) :yeahright:

Parking is practically free at my undergrad. A one time 20 dollar fee if you don't lose your parking sticker. So all these parking fees just blow my mind.

Reactions: 1 users
Doesn't Cornell have good public transit, though? A few of my classmates did their undergrad there and that's the idea I got from them. We are at $660 a year and our bussing system sucks if you're trying to get to vet med. Depending on the direction you're coming from, what would be a five minute drive takes an hour+ on a bus. Plus, the lots we used are across the street from the vet school. It's not like undergrads or commuters are trying to use those lots since we're so removed from the main drag of campus.

Our university is very much anti-car. Our dean fought for the price to be decreased but was unsuccessful. The university refused to recognize the unique schedule vet students have, especially in your fourth year. I'd hate to be relying on a bus that year, or riding my bike home at 2AM down unlit roads. Very frustrating.
Parking is practically free at my undergrad. A one time 20 dollar fee if you don't lose your parking sticker. So all these parking fees just blow my mind.
Only benefit of UIUC is that they allow you to sell back your pass at the end of the year...I just got $160 back for the half of May and June/July.

Doesn't Cornell have good public transit, though? A few of my classmates did their undergrad there and that's the idea I got from them. We are at $660 a year and our bussing system sucks if you're trying to get to vet med. Depending on the direction you're coming from, what would be a five minute drive takes an hour+ on a bus. Plus, the lots we used are across the street from the vet school. It's not like undergrads or commuters are trying to use those lots since we're so removed from the main drag of campus.

Our university is very much anti-car. Our dean fought for the price to be decreased but was unsuccessful. The university refused to recognize the unique schedule vet students have, especially in your fourth year. I'd hate to be relying on a bus that year, or riding my bike home at 2AM down unlit roads. Very frustrating.

Only benefit of UIUC is that they allow you to sell back your pass at the end of the year...I just got $160 back for the half of May and June/July.

Yes, Cornell/Ithaca has great public transportation. That's not free either, but it's not as expensive as parking. Cornell is pretty anti-car as well, hence parking prices (among other reasons :yeahright:).

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, I'm still classified as an out of state student because I didn't live off campus for a full year before I applied. If I would have lived off campus my junior year and stayed in Ohio for the summer I would have gotten IS. I didn't know that or I would have moved off campus, I figured I would get IS because I would live in Ohio for a full year before I started my term at OSU. But apparently you have to live there off campus for a full year before you apply.

Wow didn't realize that.. Still pretty inexpensive considering almost everyone gets IS tuition after the first year!

Hi Ashgirl,

Thanks for your input! I live in California right now, so Davis and Western are what I have to work with as far as in-state goes. Davis has all of the things I want/ am interested in, and I will definitely be applying when I'm ready; I still have at least two years to go to get my pre-reqs and a strong application. Hopefully no offense to anyone on here, but Western doesn't really interest me; plus with the tuition that they want and the fact that they're a fairly new university in an area where cost of living is relatively higher, I'm passing.

NCSU, and Ohio are my other two dream schools, for their wildlife/exotic, externship, and financial opportunities/benefits, and I will definitely be applying once I think I'm strong enough. Oregon is my definite/ strong fourth for similar reasons, unfortunately no residency change option there. Wis and UofI piqued my interest because of their wildlife programs and cost with the former. UGA is really the one that I'm interested in, but need to find out more about. I'd ideally like to have five maybe six schools to apply to, with at least two of those being relatively more friendly to oos applicants. From what I've come to understand, "back-up" schools don't really exist for DVM programs in the same way they do for undergrad, but I'm trying to find at least two that'll sort of hit that mark.

I've heard about Mizzou but honestly didn't look into their program all that much. I'll have to do some more research, so thanks for bringing them up!

You should look into Tufts and Florida as well.

Any thoughts on Purdue vs Wisconsin? I got called off the Wisconsin waitlist and have to decide between the two. Unfortunately, both are OOS for me. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Any thoughts on Purdue vs Wisconsin? I got called off the Wisconsin waitlist and have to decide between the two. Unfortunately, both are OOS for me. Any advice would be much appreciated!

The first thing people bring up is the tuition increase Wisconsin is currently going through, here is the actual proposal https://chancellor.wisc.edu/blog/pr...ut-of-state-and-professional-school-students/

So at 45k for the 2018-19 school year, Wisconsin is still cheaper than Purdue (it's also likely that Purdue will raise their rates during this time period, they just don't have a published rate increase out there).

Did you have any specific questions?

I think my dilemma is that I'm not sure which school is actually cheaper in the long run. After 4 years, tuition at Wisconsin is ~7k cheaper than Purdue (factoring in scholarship money from Purdue for the first year). However, from what I've seen, Wisconsin has a much higher cost of living. That being said, I've only done a preliminary look into housing so far so I was wondering if anyone has had experience looking into housing at Madison and knows what the general cost of apartments there is.

Housing cost in Madison really depends on two main things: willingness to live with roomate(s) and if you are bringing a car. With roomates rents in the 450-500 range are easily obtainable, if you're trying to live on your own though, probably going end up in the 900 range. Like pretty much every school, the further away you are from campus the cheaper the rent is. Parking is definitely an issue in Madison. As a city overall, Madison tries to encourage people to get around with transportation other than cars. They have a good bus system and were just named one of the top bike friendly cities in the country. A parking space is often an additional fee on the rent. The lot at the vet school itself isn't very large so priority is given to 4th years and the permits are very expensive ($863 for the 16-17 school year). So I guess the take away is that cost of living varies greatly depending on your needs.

Housing cost in Madison really depends on two main things: willingness to live with roomate(s) and if you are bringing a car. With roomates rents in the 450-500 range are easily obtainable, if you're trying to live on your own though, probably going end up in the 900 range. Like pretty much every school, the further away you are from campus the cheaper the rent is. Parking is definitely an issue in Madison. As a city overall, Madison tries to encourage people to get around with transportation other than cars. They have a good bus system and were just named one of the top bike friendly cities in the country. A parking space is often an additional fee on the rent. The lot at the vet school itself isn't very large so priority is given to 4th years and the permits are very expensive ($863 for the 16-17 school year). So I guess the take away is that cost of living varies greatly depending on your needs.

Thank you for the advice!

The first thing people bring up is the tuition increase Wisconsin is currently going through, here is the actual proposal https://chancellor.wisc.edu/blog/pr...ut-of-state-and-professional-school-students/

So at 45k for the 2018-19 school year, Wisconsin is still cheaper than Purdue (it's also likely that Purdue will raise their rates during this time period, they just don't have a published rate increase out there).

Did you have any specific questions?

The president of Purdue has actually pledged not to raise tuition during the next three years!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

The president of Purdue has actually pledged not to raise tuition during the next three years!

Does that apply to the professional schools as specifically? I imagine that the vet school could still add fees to offset increased price of attendance while not technically touching the tuition. It'd be a good question for Dean Reed.

Does that apply to the professional schools as specifically? I imagine that the vet school could still add fees to offset increased price of attendance while not technically touching the tuition. It'd be a good question for Dean Reed.

Yes the tuition increase also applies to the vet school but you're definitely right that fees could change. I just checked my COA and both tuition and fees and differential fees were identical for last year and this upcoming year - let's hope they stay that way

I am having a bit of a dilemma right now and any feedback would be appreciated. I've already looked at the threads for both Iowa State and Illinois vet schools and am still indecisive. Anyway, I was accepted to Illinois and was planning on going there, but Iowa State recently contacted me to let me know that I was offered admission (I was on the alternate list there.) Both schools are OOS for me (unfortunately I did not get into my IS school) and tuition looks roughly about the same, as does cost of living. I know that Iowa generally gets ranked higher and has a great radiology program, but at the current moment, I'm not thinking about specializing. Illinois is also a lot closer to home for me, which would make it easier to occasionally visit my parents (my brother is also currently doing his PhD there for CS). I'm leaning towards small animal/exotic, but I am open to bovine veterinary care. If anyone has any suggestions about other factors to look at/which school to pick, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Keep in mind that Illinois currently has a class of 178 students, the largest US class to date. It's making some things a pain to deal with, such as classroom size and clinical rotations (since we do clinical rotations starting first year). While I do feel it will all work out, there will be growing pains that will have to be dealt with. Class size (all else being equal) can be a deal breaker for some.

Also, keep in mind that even if the schools are only $5,000 different in price, that's $20,000 over 4 years with 6% interest starting from the first year. That can add up quick.

I am having a bit of a dilemma right now and any feedback would be appreciated. I've already looked at the threads for both Iowa State and Illinois vet schools and am still indecisive. Anyway, I was accepted to Illinois and was planning on going there, but Iowa State recently contacted me to let me know that I was offered admission (I was on the alternate list there.) Both schools are OOS for me (unfortunately I did not get into my IS school) and tuition looks roughly about the same, as does cost of living. I know that Iowa generally gets ranked higher and has a great radiology program, but at the current moment, I'm not thinking about specializing. Illinois is also a lot closer to home for me, which would make it easier to occasionally visit my parents (my brother is also currently doing his PhD there for CS). I'm leaning towards small animal/exotic, but I am open to bovine veterinary care. If anyone has any suggestions about other factors to look at/which school to pick, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
I don't think school rankings matter so much. You can get a good education at either school.
It kind of sounds like you want to pick Illinois. If cost isn't a factor in your decision, then go with the one that keeps you closer to your family. Vet school is hard, and you need all the support you can get.
But if you're still considering ISU you can PM me with any questions you have.

Hey guys! I started researching vet school to apply next year, but I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about vet school equine programs! I'm hoping to study equine sports medicine and I wasn't sure which schools have strong programs!

I'm happy to chime in. I'm a second year at Oregon state -

Positives -
Small class size, means you get to do more
Small class size - everyone knows everyone (faculty know you by name)
Parking close to the school (and LOTS of it)
90% of the faculty are dedicated to their students
Online notes! Yeah!
Some classes are hands-on with animals (labs, palpations, etc)
24 hour access
Incredible anatomy prof - makes the class fun and you learn a lot
Ah, heck, good profs in MOST classes, esp. first year
Good point for me - close location to many zoos, rehab centers, and the aquarium, all of which work with the school and many have adjunct faculty

Negatives
We don't get to do much in the clinic out of club time
Exception is foal/colic team and treatment crews
Game days = we lose our parking lot! (Positive: show your badge and you get in)
New school - curriculum still be organized and figured out
We also don't get our exams back, and I agree, this hurts the learning process
Quarter term - boo

That's all I have, brain fried from midterms. :(
What is the exception on the foal/colic team?

Does anyone have pro and cons fro VAMD, NC State, Cornell, and Georgia? Thanks in advance!
Nc State:
Pros- 43.7 % acceptance rate, can study in another country, live in an apartment or in a hall, get to pick your roommate,
Cons- ?

https://housing.dasa.ncsu.edu/nc-state-announces-first-year-student-live-on-requirement/
https://housing.dasa.ncsu.edu/new-residents/roomsync/
https://www.ncsu.edu/campus-life/
https://housing.dasa.ncsu.edu/new-residents/move-in-info/

Reactions: 2 users
So all y'all know, I am going through this list for myself (deciding on schools to apply for next year) and I have been putting it in a word document so I have it easily available to look at whenever. I was planning on copying and pasting it here, organized like how the "Where are you applying" threads. That way it will be easy to post information under each school and people can easily correct things that are no longer true.

Give me a day or so and it should be up!

Do you have this document/where can I find it? Thanks for putting this together!

Here are some updated pros and cons for Kansas State!

Pro:
• Students are highly encouraged to go hang out in the teaching hospital.
• We’re only two hours from Kansas City or Wichita, if you’re needing something we don’t have in Manhattan or just want to get away for a day. There is an airport in Manhattan, but apparently it’s way cheaper to fly out of KC.
• Our class size is around 115, which I think is a good number. It’s large enough that you don’t get sick of seeing the same people all the time, but not so large that you can’t get to know everyone at least in passing.
• Manhattan is located in the Flint Hills, which is the one non-flat area of Kansas!
• There are some good hiking destinations in/around town.
• We have quite a few active clubs. Dues are pretty cheap (typically $5/semester), and most meetings include food (you will get sick of free pizza very quickly).
• Each first year is assigned both a second and fourth year buddy. Your second year will hopefully pass down old tests/assignments to study from (SUPER helpful! If you don’t get any you can borrow some from a friend) and also maybe gift you with some school supplies, candy, etc. Mine gave me his dissection guide and dissection kit, which saved me a good chunk of money! And of course your second and fourth years are available if you have any questions about classes, how to study, things to do in Manhattan, etc., and you can go shadow your fourth year in the hospital.
• Also first years are split into groups based on our career interests and assigned a couple of faculty mentors, and we have lunch with them once a month. Some mentors plan speakers or topics to discuss, which mine haven’t, but the intent is nice.
• We have two psychologists on staff just for vet students, and it’s free to go talk to them.
• We’re all provided the same tablet PC (well, you pay for it in your student fees), and all of our notes are either pre-loaded on OneNote, or available online to download. No printing or purchasing huge stacks of notes, unless you just REALLY want to. We’re also provided a 2 TB external hard drive to back things up. Sometimes I wish I had a nicer computer, but it was nice to not have to go through the process of picking out, buying and setting up one on my own. If something goes wrong with my computer I can just pop downstairs to IT, and they know these computers really well, and we don’t have to deal with any annoying compatibility issues.
• Our library was just remodeled a year or two ago, so it’s really nice! The library on main campus (and main campus in general) is really pretty too, if you want a change of scenery.
• Our classroom building is right next door to the teaching hospital, and there’s even an enclosed breezeway in case the weather sucks.
• Access to the rec center and all of the group classes there is included in your student fees. The rec center is right across the street from the vet school.
• Parking passes are $180/year, which apparently is really cheap compared to some schools. If you’re coming to campus after about 8:45 in the morning you might have to hunt for a spot, but there are a few other lots within reasonable walking distance of the vet school.
• Pretty much nothing in Manhattan is more than 15 minutes away, and traffic is never really bad.
• We have a mobile spay/neuter unit, so if you do the shelter med rotation fourth year you can perform a ton of surgeries then.
• First year most of our tests are on Fridays, and we don’t have classes on Fridays other than electives. It’s nice to be able to take Friday afternoon to relax, catch up on sleep/errands/cleaning, go hang out in the hospital, whatever. We typically just have one exam a week, but there are exceptions.
• All of our lectures (other than maybe electives) are in the same room, which makes life easy.
• We don’t do any PBL that I know of (that’s a pro for me, it sounds kind of terrible), but most professors try to add some clinical correlations in their lectures.
• This is a great place to come if you like cows, of course, but I think around half of our class is SA-focused, and we have a great exotics program too! One of our faculty members, Dr. Carpenter, literally wrote the book on exotics, and he takes students to the local zoo sometimes.
• We get I think a 20% discount on most things at the hospital, and there are discounts available on several brands of pet food. You can buy Purina 60% off at the hospital if your pet has been seen there, or there are separate feeding programs through Hill’s, Purina, Royal Canin, Oxbow, and possibly others.
• We have 24-hour access to labs and classrooms. The library closes, but it’s open until 10 or 11 pm during the week.
• At least this semester most lectures were recorded except for physiology. I haven’t watched them because I don’t want to make a habit out of skipping class, but it’s nice to have the option available. Theoretically you’re required to attend all lectures and labs, but most professors don’t take attendance.
• The labs and locker rooms/restrooms look rather outdated right now, but they’re going to start renovating the first year lab and locker rooms over summer 2017, and the rest of the labs to follow. They’re also going to be adding a student lounge area with a fridge and comfy places to sit and relax or study, and they’ll be putting windows in the labs! Right now the library is the only place in the whole building with windows.

Con:
• Manhattan is very small to me (around 50k people) and it’s definitely a college town. It has most of the essentials, and it’s big enough that everybody doesn’t know everybody, but there’s not a whole lot to do in town.
• As a consequence of being a college town, housing costs in Manhattan are a bit inflated. It’s still cheap compared to some areas, but my 1-bedroom apartment is $750/a month, which seems to be about average. Of course, living with a roommate would save money.
• We have a dress code for lectures. It’s not super strict (jeans are okay as long as they’re not faded/ripped, guys don’t have to wear a tie), but T-shirts, sweatpants, yoga pants, shorts and tennis shoes are all a no-go. You can dress down if you’re on campus after hours, but from 8-5 we’re expected to dress professionally (although you can wear scrubs for anatomy lab).
• Our computers are a weird off-brand (Fujitsu) and are kind of clunky and ugly. I’ve never used any other tablet for school, so I can’t really say how it compares, but I curse it sometimes when it doesn’t do what I want it to. That may just be part of the learning curve, though.
• Our classrooms, and especially the lab are always FREEZING.
• We don’t track, which may be a pro or a con depending on your preferences. There are electives available, but everyone learns both SA and LA. We’re also required to do three 40 hour “mentorships” before fourth year; one SA, one food animal, and one other (equine, exotics, zoo, etc.).
• We don’t really have any clinical skills classes or opportunities for in-class hands-on experience before third year; we’re expected to learn a lot of that during our mentorships. But that being said, there are plenty of ways to get experience on your own time – wet labs, volunteering at the local shelter through the shelter med club, joining one of the ICU teams, etc. They're also planning to add more hands-on experience into first and second year within the next couple of years.
• There isn’t really anywhere to go for lunch within walking distance of the vet school (even the main campus student union is a bit of a jaunt), so most people bring their lunch and stay on campus unless they have a dog to let out. There is a café in the basement, but they don’t have a ton of options and it’s a bit pricy.
• You’re required to join SCAVMA to join clubs, and it was I believe $47 for the year. It sounds like this is fairly standard and there are other benefits to joining it anyway, but it was a little annoying that clubs/faculty/SCAVMA themselves didn’t really explain this up front.

Reactions: 17 users
I updated the list with Lyra's info (which really filled out Kansas).

The following schools have no or little info:

Atlantic Veterinary College--University of Prince Edward Island
University of Calgary
Central Luzon University
University of Copenhagen
Lincoln Memorial University
Massey University
University of Melbourne
Midwestern University (has only three points)
Murdoch University
Oregon State University
University of Queensland
Ross University
Royal Veterinary College
University of Saskatchewan
St. George's University
St. Matthew's University
University of Sydney
University of Tokyo
Utrecht University
Washington State University

So if anyone wants to add info on these schools (or even ones not on the list), I'll add it!

Attachments

• Factors When Picking A School.docx
    115.3 KB · Views: 225
Reactions: 4 users
Can anyone give me any input about choosing a school based on the classes they offer in your interest area? And deciding on where to go for interviews when you have too many interviews. I'm trying to decide on going to interview at Michigan and Minnesota. I've been accepted to Midwestern (and Western but pretty set on not going there) which is less expensive than the two. Though I worry about the lack of reputation of a new school and I know that Minnesota offers a lot of really cool public health classes in their curriculum which is my interest area. But it's also crazy expensive. I have 3 other schools I'm interviewing at other than those (Colorado, Kansas, Tufts) and I'm trying to save some money. I'm also really hoping to get into Mizzou which is much less expensive than all of those schools and I really think (hope) my interview went well. I'm kind of struggling with this so any input anyone can give would be much appreciated :/.