FAFSA Already?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vombatidae

TAMU c/o 2022!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to UF and they keep sending me FAFSA emails. One line stood out to me in particular, stating, "We recommend completing your FAFSA no later than Dec. 8 to ensure it arrives at UF by Dec. 15."

Are we supposed to be applying for FAFSA even though we don't even know which schools we have interviews to, let alone whether or not we will be offered a seat? I am concerned with applying now when the schools have very different tuition rates. For those who are in vet school - when did you apply and how did you go about it?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to UF and they keep sending me FAFSA emails. One line stood out to me in particular, stating, "We recommend completing your FAFSA no later than Dec. 8 to ensure it arrives at UF by Dec. 15."

Are we supposed to be applying for FAFSA even though we don't even know which schools we have interviews to, let alone whether or not we will be offered a seat? I am concerned with applying now when the schools have very different tuition rates. For those who are in vet school - when did you apply and how did you go about it?
I filled mine out very late, like the summer before starting school. haha

No adverse affects here, but you can fill it out anytime. I never do my taxes until Feb anyway, so basically fill it out after that.

You complete FASFA even if you don't know where you may or may not be going. I submitted mine like a week after it opened. The school just get your information and if you don't end up going to that school it's not counted against you or anything. I know most schools have a priority deadline though for consideration of financial aid. So although you don't know where you're going I'd do ahead and fill it out.
P.S. FASFA goes off taxes 2 years previous now so you don't have to wait until you file taxes for 2017.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I filled out my FASFA in August the last few years. The loans are basically guaranteed. But this year I'm going to submit my FASFA over Christmas break because you never know how scholarships and such will be given out since it seems like a crap shoot.

I saw this thread and was like 'ugh, FAFSA, I'm glad I don't have to do that any more' but then realized that I do have to do my income-based loan repayment recertification each year, which is basically the same thing.

I did FAFSA in late summer every year. Vet students really aren't eligible for many grants and stuff, just the regular loans (which you're basically always offered up to the COA for your school) so I never saw a need to apply early.

I filled out my FASFA in August the last few years. The loans are basically guaranteed. But this year I'm going to submit my FASFA over Christmas break because you never know how scholarships and such will be given out since it seems like a crap shoot.
This! So I was looking at how some of the scholarships are awarded at some of the schools. A bunch are like 1) be x year 2) financial need. Who doesn't have financial need in vet school?!?

I filled mine out very late, like the summer before starting school. haha

No adverse affects here, but you can fill it out anytime. I never do my taxes until Feb anyway, so basically fill it out after that.
You now use two years ago taxes instead of the previous years taxes for it :p

Edit: jk, someone already said that haha

Yeah, FAFSA is due a lot earlier now OP. The only real reason I can tell for filling it out early is to qualify for scholarships through your school. For us we have to submit FAFSA by the priority deadline (they told us November 30th?) to be able to qualify for any scholarships. I didn't qualify for any last year, and doubt I will this year since they pretty much always go to the top percentages here, but I'm not turning down a chance for free money ;)

Does it matter that much in regard to taxes? I'm a non traditional student and financially appear to make a decent amount, however, I am responsible for several things (helping family, fiance even though we don't file together, etc) that cost me money. In short, I will be quitting my career as soon as I find out if I receive an acceptance and so I am not applying as a continual student who makes no money or minimal wage. From reading online, it sounds like I should still qualify for whatever loans I need, regardless of this, correct?

You will always get the loans, regardless.

Reactions: 1 users
Like bats said, you should be guaranteed loans up to the COA at the school, regardless of income level, taxes, etc. The only things that those impact in regard to financial aid for vet school is 1) eligibility for the HPSL, if available, which has a 0% interest rate while in school (but does require parental information when you fill out the FAFSA), and 2) some need-based scholarships.

qft
This! So I was looking at how some of the scholarships are awarded at some of the schools. A bunch are like 1) be x year 2) financial need. Who doesn't have financial need in vet school?!?
Not everyone comes in with undergrad debt, for example. Some people actually bring in a decent amount of money through jobs they hold during school/summer. Some people take out less/no loans because they have financial support from family.

What bats is referring to specifically (or at least I'm assuming) is the selection process our particular school seems to use when it comes to awarding in-house scholarships. No one really knows how it works, as certain scholarships with certain requirements have been given to students who simply don't meet the requirements of class year, residency status, etc.