FAFSA EFC is 00000... this makes no sense?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cybermech

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I filled out my FAFSA with parental information in January. However, my reported EFC (Expected Family Contribution) is "00000" ...

This makes absolutely no sense to me because my dad's a dentist with the income statistics that go with the field...

Do you guys think I should call FAFSA or my enrolled dental school about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Well I noticed on my FAFSA I was not required to input my parents income, therefore I had the same number. You could call just to check, but I don't think it is abnormal.

It's because you are probably over the age limit for your parent's contribution. it might be 23? Correct me if I am wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're considered independent because you'll be working on a doctorate program so your parent's income isn't calculated in with your EFC. You don't have to include your parents' info, but for those whose parents have low income it could qualify them for additional aid.

I'm assuming you didn't work or didn't make enough last year that's why your EFC is zilch.

You are declared an independent if you are enrolled in a master's or doctoral degree program at the beginning of 09-10 academic year. Therefore your EFC does not matter and is set to 0, you are an independent. The school still states to put your parent information but FAFSA will declare you as independent, which will give you a better overall package.

Supraman is right.

You are applying for FAFSA as a Professional student, so your parents income is not tabulated into your EFC. This means that a score of 0 will qualify for all personal subsidized loans etc.

However, you will most likely NOT qualify for the loans where they specify the need to include Parents info on FAFSA. They would include your parents income into a differnt "EFC". I think this is for Grad Plus only. (this is how I understand it to be)

You're considered independent because you'll be working on a doctorate program so your parent's income isn't calculated in with your EFC. You don't have to include your parents' info, but for those whose parents have low income it could qualify them for additional aid.

I'm assuming you didn't work or didn't make enough last year that's why your EFC is zilch.

You are declared an independent if you are enrolled in a master's or doctoral degree program at the beginning of 09-10 academic year. Therefore your EFC does not matter and is set to 0, you are an independent. The school still states to put your parent information but FAFSA will declare you as independent, which will give you a better overall package.

Supraman is right.

You are applying for FAFSA as a Professional student, so your parents income is not tabulated into your EFC. This means that a score of 0 will qualify for all personal subsidized loans etc.

However, you will most likely NOT qualify for the loans where they specify the need to include Parents info on FAFSA. They would include your parents income into a differnt "EFC". I think this is for Grad Plus only. (this is how I understand it to be)

Aww, that makes a lot more sense to me. Thanks guys!

I did not put my parent's info on my fafsa, and am being considered an independent , but my EFC is 798 or something like that. I think it depends on the amount of money you as an individual made this past year. Your's is probably 0, since you were prob a full time student and didn't make that much income.