FAFSA parental information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILLchief

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just had a quick question regarding parental information when filling out this FAFSA... By including my parents' info in my FAFSA it would make it seem like I could be supported by them throughout dental school. I will be taking out loans to pay for dental school. Sooo my question is should I still include this/will it affect how much loans I will be allowed? Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm guessing you've never filled out a FAFSA before... No it won't affect how much money you can pull out. It's expected that most dental students are paying for their schooling. The FAFSA is used by schools to assess financial need, some schools offer scholarships through FAFSA input if your parents make under a certain amount.

I'm guessing you've never filled out a FAFSA before... No it won't affect how much money you can pull out. It's expected that most dental students are paying for their schooling. The FAFSA is used by schools to assess financial need, some schools offer scholarships through FAFSA input if your parents make under a certain amount.

Thanks man. appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need to fill out the parental info section. That's what I was told at all my finaid presentations during interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't need to fill out the parental info section. That's what I was told at all my finaid presentations during interviews.

If you're a dependent you do... How would filling out your info do anything unless you're a non-trad applicant?

If you're a dependent you do... How would filling out your info do anything unless you're a non-trad applicant?
Individuals enrolling in graduate education are automatically independent.

Individuals enrolling in graduate education are automatically independent.

Just looked that up, didn't know that! It pertains to people already enrolled* in a graduate program in the 2013-2014 year, so if you're not in a masters program and awaiting dental school to start, you're still a dependent.

Just looked that up, didn't know that! It pertains to people already enrolled* in a graduate program in the 2013-2014 year, so if you're not in a masters program and awaiting dental school to start, you're still a dependent.

really? Even if I work full time and my parents don't claim me?

Do you have your own health insurance or are you under your parents?

my own. They do pay for my car/car insurance. But I've asked them and they don't claim me as a dependent on taxes. Hmmm, I guess I'll have to ask my schools financial aid office about this.

We might be mixing up some semantics here, but you have to file the FAFSA as an independent if you are entering a graduate profession.

Reactions: 1 users