FAFSA PIN help??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by altaskier, Feb 12, 2002.

1. altaskier

altaskier Altaholics Anonymous 92'

I have a question about obtaining a FAFSA PIN. If you have never applied through FAFSA, then you won't have a PIN. So, what do you do when you do apply for the first time. I've heard something about printing out a form, signing it, and sending it to FAFSA (some type of authenticity form). But, I've also read that you can go to the website and get a PIN, before you even apply. Has anyone heard of this option?

Thanks all!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. megkudos

megkudos Senior Member

You can get a pin even if you've never filled out FAFSA. I had a probablem initially though cuz they would email me my pin and then ask for a password. I think that you have to go and start filling out the FAFSA first, save it and get a password, then request to be sent a pin. You guys can correct me if I'm wrong...

But to get a pin just go to the FAFSA website and there are links for "requesting a pin".

Well I hope that helps a little and didn't just confuse you more:)

4. altaskier

Thanks for the advice Megkudos. So how did you finally get your PIN then? Also, what do you mean they'd ask you for a password when they sent you your PIN?

5. Doctora Foxy

Medical Student
    just go the the fafsa website and request a pin be emailed to you It will take a few days. I apparently had one in the past from high school fafsa forms, yet I didn't know it so they emailed me a new one. It was really easy, just look for the link.

6. Epi

Epi Fuzzy Tiger

Medical Student
    do you actually need to have a PIN in order to fill out the FAFSA?

7. SMW

SMW Grand Member

No, you do not have to have a PIN. You can do as was mentioned above and print out a signature page, sign it and mail it in. We all know how reliable the mail is for these types of things from our lovely AMCAS experience. I would recommend getting a PIN, as it eliminates using the USPS, plus it is much easier and faster to make changes/corrections like adding schools beyond 6.

8. megkudos

megkudos Senior Member

Sorry I guess my post was kinda confusing. You can go and "request a pin" without a password. It takes them a couple of days and they send your pin to you by email and give you a link to "retrieve" it. The problem I had was when I tried to retrieve it they asked me for a password which I was never given....

So what you can do is start filling out your FAFSA and then save whatever info you put in. At that point they ask you for a password. This password is the one you use to retrieve your pin.

LEt me know if that is makes sense:) It's hard to explain:)

9. altaskier

Ok....I'll try it out and let ya know.

Thanks again