FAFSA PIN help??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

altaskier

Altaholics Anonymous 92'
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about obtaining a FAFSA PIN. If you have never applied through FAFSA, then you won't have a PIN. So, what do you do when you do apply for the first time. I've heard something about printing out a form, signing it, and sending it to FAFSA (some type of authenticity form). But, I've also read that you can go to the website and get a PIN, before you even apply. Has anyone heard of this option?

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

You can get a pin even if you've never filled out FAFSA. I had a probablem initially though cuz they would email me my pin and then ask for a password. I think that you have to go and start filling out the FAFSA first, save it and get a password, then request to be sent a pin. You guys can correct me if I'm wrong...

But to get a pin just go to the FAFSA website and there are links for "requesting a pin".

Well I hope that helps a little and didn't just confuse you more:)

Thanks for the advice Megkudos. So how did you finally get your PIN then? Also, what do you mean they'd ask you for a password when they sent you your PIN?

Members don't see this ad :)
just go the the fafsa website and request a pin be emailed to you It will take a few days. I apparently had one in the past from high school fafsa forms, yet I didn't know it so they emailed me a new one. It was really easy, just look for the link.

do you actually need to have a PIN in order to fill out the FAFSA?

No, you do not have to have a PIN. You can do as was mentioned above and print out a signature page, sign it and mail it in. We all know how reliable the mail is for these types of things from our lovely AMCAS experience. I would recommend getting a PIN, as it eliminates using the USPS, plus it is much easier and faster to make changes/corrections like adding schools beyond 6.

Sorry I guess my post was kinda confusing. You can go and "request a pin" without a password. It takes them a couple of days and they send your pin to you by email and give you a link to "retrieve" it. The problem I had was when I tried to retrieve it they asked me for a password which I was never given....

So what you can do is start filling out your FAFSA and then save whatever info you put in. At that point they ask you for a password. This password is the one you use to retrieve your pin.

LEt me know if that is makes sense:) It's hard to explain:)

Ok....I'll try it out and let ya know.

Thanks again