FAFSA question about parental information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewBalancePremed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question as its been awhile since I've done these. When filling out the FAFSA, there is the checkpoint where it asks if we want to fill out our parental information since we are now considered "independent", however certain schools I am sending it to require our parental info on FAFSA while others do not need this information.

My question is, if we put our parents information in to be compliant with the schools that require it, do the others truly turn a blind eye to it/not count it when considering their own grants/aid? I wonder because I am leaning towards the school that doesn't require it, and since I am older and truly am an independent, would prefer to only have my income considered for the financial aid process. Thanks for all help!

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question as its been awhile since I've done these. When filling out the FAFSA, there is the checkpoint where it asks if we want to fill out our parental information since we are now considered "independent", however certain schools I am sending it to require our parental info on FAFSA while others do not need this information.

My question is, if we put our parents information in to be compliant with the schools that require it, do the others truly turn a blind eye to it/not count it when considering their own grants/aid? I wonder because I am leaning towards the school that doesn't require it, and since I am older and truly am an independent, would prefer to only have my income considered for the financial aid process. Thanks for all help!
I wouldn't rely on anything you are told here. The only answer that counts is the one from the school, and I'm not even sure that I would rely on that. Once something is reported, you can't control who sees it or what they do with it. The safest play would be to not include parental information, and forgo institutional need-based aid at schools that require it. You didn't say, but if you're not eligible for aid with your parents' information, not giving it doesn't cost you anything!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Parental information for medical school. My parents earn a high income and so I am concerned this will hurt me when I apply to Fafsa and subsequintly the school I will be attending. What are my chances that I will be awarded "need base" or other scholarships for medical school if I include their financial information? Would it be best for me not to provide their information?

Parental information for medical school. My parents earn a high income and so I am concerned this will hurt me when I apply to Fafsa and subsequintly the school I will be attending. What are my chances that I will be awarded "need base" or other scholarships for medical school if I include their financial information? Would it be best for me not to provide their information?
Yes, this is the point. Most schools will not give you need based aid if your parents earn a high income. Some have an age cutoff for non traditional students where they will waive this at some point; others won't no matter how old or independent you are. It won't hurt to provide it because you certainly won't receive any need based aid if you don't (unless you are above the age cutoff at a school that has one), but if you know you won't be eligible, it won't matter either way.

You are considered independent for federal loans and will be eligible without providing parental information. Merit based aid also won't be based on parental income, but you would need to check with each school to see if they want parental information to consider you for merit aid.