FAFSA/school code question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bushybr0ws

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to get a jump on my financial aid stuff over Christmas break, while I still have some time. Luckily, I've already been accepted to a couple of MD schools, but I'm waiting to hear back from a few other places (including my top choice).

When I am filling out the FAFSA, and there's the section where you can add school codes, what schools do I get to add? The two that have accepted me, for sure, but what about prospective schools that have not given me their decision yet? If I get into *top choice school* for example, I want to be able to apply for financial aid, but I don't know if it looks bad to list their code on your FAFSA when I haven't been notified of the decision.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the consensus is to definitely include schools where you have been accepted. Then some people are iffy about schools you have already interviewed at.

The other thing is you can always go back and change schools where you want to send your FAFSA to so you can include school x at a later date when you have heard something.

I thought the consensus was you should just pick the top ten schools you could possibly attend regardless of acceptance or interviewing

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I believe the consensus is to definitely include schools where you have been accepted. Then some people are iffy about schools you have already interviewed at.

One should always remember to look over the financial aid information from schools one has interviewed at because some might suggest you wait until a decision while others might want you to submit financial aid info early. Many of the schools that release decisions late in the cycle (late spring) suggest that you turn in financial aid info ASAP if you want to know your financial aid award with your acceptance. It makes it easier to choose schools come April so that you're not waiting until the last minute for that award letter.

Reactions: 1 user