Fafsa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highfly413

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I have already filled out a FAFSA before (for the 2003-2004 school year), do I need to file a new one? or do I fill out a renewal FAFSA? i have no idea...thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Fill out the renewal fafsa at www.Fafsa.ed.gov

highfly413 said:
If I have already filled out a FAFSA before (for the 2003-2004 school year), do I need to file a new one? or do I fill out a renewal FAFSA? i have no idea...thanks

Off topic but, I have school completely paid for now (undergraduate). I wonder if financial aid gives anything at all. How many of you out there are getting any kind of financial aid for a private dental school?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know where if at all on fafsa you have to enter scholarships you were offered for 05-06? there is a spot where it asks for scholarship info but is says if you recieved it in 2004.

Biogirl361 said:
does anyone know where if at all on fafsa you have to enter scholarships you were offered for 05-06? there is a spot where it asks for scholarship info but is says if you recieved it in 2004.

Only list it if you have already benefitted from it (physically received it). So, the scholarship you receive in 05-06 will affect your FAFSA for the following school year (beginning in fall of 06).

amartins02 said:
Off topic but, I have school completely paid for now (undergraduate). I wonder if financial aid gives anything at all. How many of you out there are getting any kind of financial aid for a private dental school?

Your question doesn't make any sense to me.

Financial aid isn't based on how much debt you have. They don't care whether or not you paid for undergraduate (or even paid it off).

99% of students are getting financial aid for private school (and probably nearly that many for public school).

This may be a stupid question, but are you suppose to fill out fasfa even if you are not in dental school yet. I am waitlisted at one school and have an interview at another in a week (I only applied to two schools) and hope to get into one of them. SO, I guess my question is am I suppose to fill out the forms now just in case I get accepted, or do you only fill it out when you are accepted and know where you are going?? :confused:

Also, if I did a FASFA form back in the 2002-2003 year, I do a new one now not a renewal since the other one was for undergrad right ?? :confused:

Thanks!! :)

I would assume you just do a renewal and just insert the new school codes for the schools you applied too. Also there will be a question that asks whether or not this applies to undergraduate or a graduate degree and also if you have gotten a degree or will have a degree by the time you attend. Sorry, ItsGavinC, sometimes when I write I am all over the place and my post seems a little lost. I was trying to say that financial aid pays all of my undergraduate education at this point. I was curious if they were going to pay for private school as i hear that they do not award as much for these types of schools. Although, in massachusetts there are no public dental schools so i assume they take this into account.

amartins02 said:
I was trying to say that financial aid pays all of my undergraduate education at this point. I was curious if they were going to pay for private school as i hear that they do not award as much for these types of schools. Although, in massachusetts there are no public dental schools so i assume they take this into account.

Yes, you can take out the maximum financial aid budget to pay for all of your schooling, regardless of where you attend school.

frogger33 said:
This may be a stupid question, but are you suppose to fill out fasfa even if you are not in dental school yet. I am waitlisted at one school and have an interview at another in a week (I only applied to two schools) and hope to get into one of them. SO, I guess my question is am I suppose to fill out the forms now just in case I get accepted, or do you only fill it out when you are accepted and know where you are going?? :confused:

Also, if I did a FASFA form back in the 2002-2003 year, I do a new one now not a renewal since the other one was for undergrad right ?? :confused:

Thanks!! :)

1) Yes, fill out FAFSA even if you aren't accepted yet. If you don't get in then it won't matter. If you do get in then you'll want your financial aid to come in a timely manner, which is based on you getting your FAFSA done to get the ball rolling. List all the schools you might possibly matriculate to.

2) You do need to fiill out a new FAFSA (NOT a renewal), but it has nothing to do with undergraduate school (the renewal form allows you to change your school information). It has to do with the fact that you didn't fill one out last year. You can only do a renewal if you are applying for a consecutive year. So, after doing the one for this year, you can do a renewal in subsequent years.

Thanks Everyone!! :D

ItsGavinC said:
Only list it if you have already benefitted from it (physically received it). So, the scholarship you receive in 05-06 will affect your FAFSA for the following school year (beginning in fall of 06).

sweet, that is what i figured but glad to have that confirmed.