fafsa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omaralt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i'm a lil worried now... somebody told me that u have to fill out ur fafsa by march 2nd to qualify for teh 38,500/yr loan. is that true??? i still havent filled it out, too lazy, but gonna do it soon. if i dont get that money, i'm probably not goin to dental school! somebody plz put my mind at ease and tell me it aint true!

omar

Members don't see this ad.

omaralt said:
hey guys, i'm a lil worried now... somebody told me that u have to fill out ur fafsa by march 2nd to qualify for teh 38,500/yr loan. is that true??? i still havent filled it out, too lazy, but gonna do it soon. if i dont get that money, i'm probably not goin to dental school! somebody plz put my mind at ease and tell me it aint true!

omar

IU wanted us to have it done by march 1. i think the date depends on what school you are going to. the earlier you do it, the better chance you have of getting as much money as you qualify for.

if i were you, i'd give Nova a call ASAP to ask about their due dates for FAFSA.

Schools have priority dates. I think if you file your FAFSA by the dates listed, you will get the good federal loans like Perkins & Unsubs (low interests), which means you will have to borrow less Subs to cover the expenses.

Public Schools: 3/1 (Residents*) & 3/15 (Non-residents)
Private Schools: 3/15 (Everyone)
*There are scholarships for state residents.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
you really need to get on that man!!

The schools budget for the number of people coming in. To get need based you must apply by the given date, or earlier.

For most general student loans, any date is acceptable, but they prefer it sooner. You'll only get 8500 subsidized (max) and 30,000 unsubsidized (max).

the 8500 is where the govt pays the interest while you're in school where as the 30k interest accrues while you're in school at the going rate, right now it's 2.77 or 3.27 i can't remember.

So yeah, go ahead and apply, it's not bad. I filled mine out for UT in the middle of June i think and got 37,920 for the year with 8500 subsidized.

You will still get all of the funding you need, regardless of when you fill out the FAFSA. Funding isn't cut off because you turn it in late. Your loans may be delayed however, if you continue to put it off. Filing that thing early makes it easier on the school AND on you, so get it done.

It only takes 15-20 minutes to do, and help you have your loan money when you need it, rather than weeks later.