FAFSA!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DrSuga, Dec 28, 2001.

1. DrSuga

DrSuga Senior Member

Hey,
    I figured I would add a post about fafsa, since jan 1st is quickly approaching and it is the earliest fafsa can be submitted. I know you can do it online, but does anyone know what to do about the list of schools? Since it takes about 4-6 to be processed, and many fin. aid. deadlines are in feb/march, how do you know which schools to put? For example, I was told by one school to fill it out ASAP, even before I hear of an acceptance. Should we do this for all schools? If we don't list schools now, can we add them later? What are other SDN'ers planning to do? I need advice!!!!!!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. P60001

P60001 Senior Member

I am going to list every school on my FAFSA that I am still be considered for. There are only a few spots on the form to enter school codes. The web site for FAFSA list a couple seperate ways to add more schools. Look under their FAQ section.
    Rob

4. Ibis

Ibis Senior Member

This brings up a concern. Do the individual med schools see the schools you documented on the form? I wouldn't want a school that has accepted me to see a list of other institutions I'm considering to attend, provided I get accepted. Anyone know? (I'm clueless) :rolleyes:

5. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member

6. DrSuga

DrSuga Senior Member

you need to have your tax information for 2001 in order before you can fill out a FAFSA

the paper fafsa states "you don't need to file your tax return before you submit your fafsa...filling out your tax return first will make completing the FAFSA easier. however, you do not need to submit your tax return to the IRS before you submit your FAFSA."

thanks a bunch sandflea for the help!!!!!!! :D

7. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member

8. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Sandflea was somewhat correct in that you should have your W-2 at least before you start filling out your paperwork (assuming you worked last year).

Even if you haven't done a FAFSA before, you can use the on-line application (at least that was how it worked last year).

When I was going through this last year, I was advised to submit all the schools that I had interviewed at. It's fairly easy to make changes to the online FAFSA, so if you interview at more schools later in the winter, it shouldn't be a problem to add them on.

Many schools don't start sending out their own financial aid paperwork until March or April anyways, so there is still a lot of time for this process. Good luck.

9. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Resident [Any Field]
    During one of my interviews, the finacial aid office had a person talk to us. She said we fill out the form and put down any and all schools that we would need financial aid to attend. The schools don't see that. It is all federal, I think.

If you want $$$$, you better put all the schools you might be accepted at otherwise you will be out of luck.

10. quaileggs

quaileggs Senior Member

Wait a minute! My understanding is that parents info does not go on FAFSA but on various other individiulschool/supplementary financial forms relating to insitutional aid and special programs that come LATER. For the FAFSA, all professional or graduate students are automatically considered independent. FAFSA is just for the federal aid and the feds don't want to know about your parents info.
    Correct me if I am wrong??!!

11. Ibis

Ibis Senior Member

Thanks Amy Beth!

12. Spang

Spang SDN Angel

quaileggs:

At the bottom of page 4 of the 2002-2003 FAFSA (I got mine in the mail yesterday) at the end of the yes/no section to determine if you're independent, it says "If you are a health profession student, your school may require you to complete Step Four (parents' info) even if you answered "Yes" in step Three."

Additionally the Financial Aid page at my school says:

"Note that although graduate students are independent, health professions graduate students must provide parental information to be considered for any of the programs administered by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services."

Hope this helps.

Spang

BTW: If you're going to fill it out online you should log on now and request a PIN which MUST be sent to you via US Mail in order to complete the online app.

13. omores

omores sleep deprived

Resident [Any Field]
    Quaileggs, Spang is absolutely right about parental information being required by medical schools, despite the fact that the federal government considers you independent.

Even though the FAFSA is what is used to determine your elegibility for government loans, it also generates a handy-dandy printout of income and assets (yours and your parents) as well as an Expected Family Contribution, which is what the schools use to generate their own aid packages.

Even though each school may want you to fill out its own set of forms (or the enormously complicated NeedAccess online thing -- ugh!), you've still got to put parental information on the FAFSA as well. This is often the rate-limiting step: urging, cajoling, begging, pleading with your parents to get their tax stuff in order. Better start working on them now!

:rolleyes: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

14. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    By the way, one fascinating thing I found out from my FAO recently is that the closer your parents are to retirement (or if they are already in retirement), the more their finances are protected from being used in the expected family contribution. I was very excited to find that out.

15. quaileggs

quaileggs Senior Member

Omores and Spang, thanks for the info. This is going to be really messy for me. I'm going to have to ask one of my med schools for advice. I am 32, have been married for 10 years, have 3 kids. My parents are living but have been divorced since 1985. I have not lived at home since 1987. Additionally my mom remarried but recently separated with intent to divorce her 2nd husband, who has $ but has never been a "father figure" for me (never met the guy til I was 26). Does anyone have any idea which "parents" I include on my FAFSA. OH...and also my dad is a deadbeat with no $...he is nearly a bum ..never paid child support ..and I'd be surprised if he has had any (legal)income or filed taxes since the late 80s. What fun to sort this out.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. omores

omores sleep deprived

Resident [Any Field]
    Quaileggs:

Aieee, what a mess. Financial aid forms are not designed for those with complicated lives.

Most of my problems came from the fact that my parents live and work in Canada. The tax year there is later than the US one, so income figures are not available in time for deadlines. Then there's the inability of FAFSA to handle "foreign" parents -- you HAVE to specify a state, and you can't leave it blank....Moreover, there's the continual joy of fluctuating exchange rates. Drove me bonkers.

Your best bet is make contact with each school's financial aid office, find someone who seems to understand the complexity of the situation, and then keep working with that person.

There are, by the way, a very few medical schools that may allow you to be considered financially independent from your parents due to your advanced age ;) My school is one of the rare ones: after informing the Duke financial aid folks that I was in my 30s, married, and had been financially self-supporting for 12 years, they elected to remove my parents from the financial picture. Bless their hearts. I've heard that Stanford has a similar policy. Anyone know of any other schools?

Best of luck with all this. Be patient and persistent and it will all work out -- eventually!

:eek: :eek: :eek: