Failed anatomy, summer remediation at Univ of Nebraska.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadowclaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I failed anatomy at my medical school. My school lets us take remediation anatomy at University of Nebraska for 6 weeks. Did anyone here take the summer course? Can you share your experience?

Did you tell your other classmates that you failed? I'm scared to, and haven't told anyone in my class yet, though I did confide with close friends. It seems that most students have a very negative perception of those who fail; I remember hearing some classmates joke about it or saying they deserve it.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know about the program, but who cares what your classmates may or may not say? People make mistakes, especially at the beginning of the curriculum. Ace it the second time and move on. As cliche and ridiculous as it sounds, ignore the haters and do you.

Reactions: 1 users
I know you probably feel pretty down right now. I wouldn't tell a lot of people it's none of their business. I'm sure you'll do great in the remediation program. I absolutely hate anatomy so failing would have been my worst nightmare.

Best advice I can give is hang on to that feeling you have now, and use it for your benefit any time you want to procrastinate or study less. Anyone can pass any class if you just put in the time and use the right resources. Also make sure and take advantage of the resources your school offers for tutoring.

Members don't see this ad :)
I failed anatomy at my medical school. My school lets us take remediation anatomy at University of Nebraska for 6 weeks. Did anyone here take the summer course? Can you share your experience?

Did you tell your other classmates that you failed? I'm scared to, and haven't told anyone in my class yet, though I did confide with close friends. It seems that most students have a very negative perception of those who fail; I remember hearing some classmates joke about it or saying they deserve it.

just make sure you pass the remediation, and it won't really be so bad. i have a few classmates who failed remediation and had to retake MS1, I felt really bad for them.

just make sure you pass the remediation, and it won't really be so bad. i have a few classmates who failed remediation and had to retake MS1, I felt really bad for them.

Still a better lot than a few of my classmates, who failed the course and have to retake M1 period, no remediation possible. :(

Reactions: 1 user
It's a pretty bad feeling. You feel stupid and all alone. It comes as a shocker to so many people that were always used to being at the top of their class, and all of a sudden they are struggling.

But OP, you are not alone. People fail Gross Anatomy all over the country. It doesn't mean you are dumb and should definitely not make you feel shameful. If you look up threads on here, you see people who fail classes yet still get great residencies. Just learn from the mistakes you've made, and become a stronger student!

As for the upcoming remediation course, try to find out anything you can about it. Also try finding out if you can get access to a test bank. I wish you the best of luck. Remember, what happened has happened and you can't change it. Just keep your chin up and keep moving forward! :)

Wow. I'm very sorry you had a hard time but hope is not all lost! Remember, you are still in medical school and you have done a great job by getting there! I've taken the summer course, its waaay toned down compared to how hard anatomy can be. The prof can be a bit intense in his lecturing ways, but its only because he's a really nice guy and wants people to take it seriously. I took it as a soph in 2008 and could have easily aced it if I had payed attention more seriously. Its a 200-level course at UNL, meaning its not as involved as it can be.
Do not worry, you will do just fine in his course. Avoid all of the jerks who put out negativity and just focus on those 10 weeks ( or however long it is). Lab is easy, just plain memorization of cadavers and BASIC plastic models. Just chug and plug... just to prove yourself to the docs at your med school. However, with all due respect to anatomy at UNL, it does not do the study of Human Anatomy justice as it is literally recall of basic anatomical structures. For example, my biggest dislike was the lack of focus pertaining to Neuroanatomy. Afferent's and Efferent's are just classified into basic groups in terms of P/L/A white matter tracts and gray columns. You will rarely see a question regarding, for example, the projections to inferior olivary nucleus and pathway of the olivospinal tract, or individual segments of the Cornu Ammonis (CA1-4). I don't remember it involving more than memorizing specific lobes, gyri, sulci, and "areas" of the telencephalon or the mesencephalon. Being that you have already been exposed to the "real deal" in med school I think you should be fine. :)

...Woodman likes to use tricky questions on his exams, but always offers an optional final exam just in case you would like to replace it with your worst exam.

Last edited:
Bump.

Unfortunately just failed anatomy at my school and am told that I have to go to Nebraska this summer.

Anyone have any information about the course?

Grades just in...Looks like I'm going to Nebraska for the Summer, how's the weather in Omaha during the summer ?

Medical students tend to be a very unforgiving bunch. It's very much a situation where no one admits they have any faults and anyone who failed must have "deserved it", esp. when medical students are stepping over each other for perceived higher rank and perceived better residency matches. It's no surprise then that medical school tends to breed a very high rate of anxiety, depression, and suicide.

Just to let you know, what your close friends think should be the very LEAST of what you care about. You friends will find out, bc stuff such as who failed a course, are not kept secret, or at least not for very long. You'll very much find out who your true friends are, and who aren't.

edited

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't matter. You should be indoors studying your ass off.
Idk why you haven't been banned yet. All you do is spout negativity and bull****. I really hope you're as hard on yourself as you are on everyone else around here.

Idk why you haven't been banned yet. All you do is spout negativity and bull****. I really hope you're as hard on yourself as you are on everyone else around here.

Truth hurts sometimes. Some schools won't let you come back if you fail your remediation class.

Lol. I've disagreed with the man but he's not antagonistic for the sake of it. Welcome to the internet, where anonymity makes everyone seem like an a-hole.

They're giving me 9 days to prepare for remediation for the Head+Neck Anatomy exam (also, I'll be using Spring Break to my advantage, they didn't think of that!). I know that Head+Neck is a really stupid unit filled with minute nonsense I'm never going to use in real life, but you gotta do what you gotta do to survive, namsayin?

And then I'll go ham on the booze afterwards.