Failed Boards 5x-do I have a shot at Peds?

Started by pmick
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pmick

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I attend a caribbean school and have recently been diagnosed with ADHD. I passed Step 1 on my 6th try. Do I have any chance in hell of landing a Peds residency anywhere in the US? I definitely have some ins at FP programs from some higher ups that I know, but my true passion is Peds. If anyone knows of any success stories or has any ideas on how to achieve getting into a peds program, your advice is greatly appreciated.

Lefty
 
pmick said:
I attend a caribbean school and have recently been diagnosed with ADHD. I passed Step 1 on my 6th try. Do I have any chance in hell of landing a Peds residency anywhere in the US? I definitely have some ins at FP programs from some higher ups that I know, but my true passion is Peds. If anyone knows of any success stories or has any ideas on how to achieve getting into a peds program, your advice is greatly appreciated.

Lefty

i cant help you out with peds.........but i just want to say good luck to you, and congradulate you on your wonderful accomplishment........you will probably make a better doc the most for what you have been through
 
look on the bright side: it shows that you're not a quitter!!!! 👍
i still think you have a chance for peds. it's not a competitive residency 😉 ...i'm partial to FM myself, but i say go for waht you love!!! i don't even know you adn i'm proud of you!!! 😀


good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you don't match in peds, try getting a transitional scramble position. You can do your electives in peds and do certain required electives in peds too (NICU instead of adult ICU, adolescent clinic instead of IM clinic). If you rock those rotations, you would be a good candidate to fill a PGY-2 slot somewhere.

Ed
 
Thank you all for the informative and confidence-boosting posts. I really appreciate it.
 
pmick said:
I attend a caribbean school and have recently been diagnosed with ADHD. I passed Step 1 on my 6th try. Do I have any chance in hell of landing a Peds residency anywhere in the US? I definitely have some ins at FP programs from some higher ups that I know, but my true passion is Peds. If anyone knows of any success stories or has any ideas on how to achieve getting into a peds program, your advice is greatly appreciated.

Lefty


How are Steps II-III going? Damn dude, Im pulling for you.
 
In all sincerity, it's not too early to look into what state you'd like to practice in, because failure of any step a certain number of times can be disqualifying for licensure in some states (like, 3 times or 5 times or whatever).

Good luck, though, bud - it CAN be done!
 
Apollyon said:
In all sincerity, it's not too early to look into what state you'd like to practice in, because failure of any step a certain number of times can be disqualifying for licensure in some states (like, 3 times or 5 times or whatever)

i was thinking abotu taht too for you, but don't get too discouraged cuz i think 95% of states have an appeal process for this. so if you had to plea your case, i'm sure saying you have diagnosed adhd would allow you to be excused. but i agree with others -- work hard during your transitional year if matching in peds doesn't work the first time around.

good luck!
 
Not sure how helpful an appeal process can be if the requirements are codified. But it can't hurt to try.

As of right now, for intial licensure, based on the fact that the OP took Step 1 six time (failed 5, passed last time) and assuming the OP will pass Step 2 and Step 3 on first tries ... for a total of 8 attempts

http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html

The following states are eliminated (for initial licensure ... not sure if you can get licensed through other means such as reciprococity)

Georgia - 3 attempts per USMLE Step;
Idaho - 2 attempts per USMLE Step;
Illinois - 5 attempts at all USMLE Step combined;
Indiana - 5 attempts per USMLE Step;
Maryland - 4 attempts at each USMLE Step;
Minnesota - 3 attempts at each USMLE Step;
Nebraska - 4 attempts+ at each USMLE Step;
New Hampshire - 3 attempts at each USMLE Step;
North Dakota - 3 attempts at each USMLE Step;
Oklahoma Medical - 3 attempts at each USMLE Step
Rhode Island - 3 attempts at each USMLE Step;
South Carolina - 4 attempts per USMLE Step;
South Dakota - 3 attempts per USMLE Step;
Texas - 3 attempts at each USMLE Step;
Wisconsin - 3+ attempts per Step;


Look at the link I provided for more details. Of course, having a state not listed here does not mean you will have no problem getting licensed in such state. As always, contact the state board to inquirer about appeal/waiver of requirements and other requirements that they might impose on either IMGs or all doctors in general.