Failed calculus twice!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

papi21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do you guys think if i failed calculus 1 twice? i know it sucks but how much do you think I'll be affected by it other than my gpa. I think I just might say in my interview that math is not a strong point/

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say failing a class once then improving dramatically won't hurt your chances at all. Failing it twice... well, that's another story that might hurt you in the long run. Better have a good reason for not improving...

doh? I dropped physics B twice before I finally got a B my third try. Although the second drop was kinda masked because I withdrew from the entire quarter (which surprisingly doesn't even show up on AADSAS besides the jump from Summer 04 to Spring 05 :p). So officially, it looks like I only took it twice.

I think a drop is better than a fail, but that's pure conjecture on my part.

Members don't see this ad :)
try taking it again if possible, because its a requirement so obviously it could be hold against you.

Last edited:
Better man up to the barrier and get nothing but an A the 3rd time. Whatever you're doing doesn't work so figure out that issue too.

you'll be alright,

dentists only need to know how to count to 32

what's done is done. all you can do now is make sure you ace it the 3rd time. it will be a blemish on your application for sure, but all blemishes can be overlooked if the rest of your application is strong enough to make up for it when you apply.

Failing a class once is not good, twice probably looks very bad. Just get an A or A+ and nothing less the third time.

The only class I ever failed was calc 1 so I feel your pain, my suggestion is to use rate my professor, find the best possible professor with the best rating and retake the class and get nothing less than a A.

This class I believe is designed to weed out the students that are not serious about their studies. It requires a lot of work.

Also keep in mind that when you take calculus 2, calc 1 will seem like remedial arithmatic so be prepared.

I would love how you bill :)
well i was planning on billing my patients on an exponentially increasing derivative based formula that would in effect make the cost increase in a non-linear fashion

He failed the class twice already. What makes you people think he can simply walk into class the 3rd time and ace it? Learn it on your own or with a tutor first and be able to calculate everything correctly. Then take the course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fail me once, shame on you. Fail me twice, shame on me.

like I said, he almost got in dental school.

Two F's will look BAD!!!

He should have just not taken it at all and applied to schools that didn't require calc.

That's why you hire the attractive finance girl to talk to patients about the bill after you introduce the treatment plan :p

All of us better take notes. This is very, very true. I would add she also has to be personable though.

Have you completed Algebra or Pre-calc to increase your skills?

Originally Posted by Ranelar
That's why you hire the attractive finance girl to talk to patients about the bill after you introduce the treatment plan :p
All of us better take notes. This is very, very true. I would add she also has to be personable though.

It's one of the useful things I picked up during my 50 hours of shadowing :D

There's an old saying in dental school — I know it's on SDN, probably in dental school — that says, fail me once, shame on — shame on you. Fail me — you can't fail again.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos075.htm

...my personal reccomendation, check it out.. see if its for you.

Don't ever take any negativity given to you seriously man. Most people here are really just joking around and most of it is in good humor. If you want to be a dentist and your dedicated to the dental profession then go for it. Never stop trying to accomplish your dreams. A few bad grades will not keep you from doing so.

u would be out..sorry