failed class = bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geno2568

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have already sent in most of my secondaries, and plan on matriculating next year. I am taking a 2-credit pass/fail class on wines this semester. Attendacne is mandatory, and I will fail if I miss more than 2 classes...but I might have to because of interviews.

But will failing this class look bad? I mean, it has nothing to do with medicine or my major, it won't drop my gpa, and I have a legitamate excuse for failing it.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think your teacher is seriously going to fail you if you miss more than 2 classes-especially if it's for interviews. I don't think I've ever met a professor who actually was that hardcore about attendance-mostly it's just threats to make people come to class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think your teacher is seriously going to fail you if you miss more than 2 classes-especially if it's for interviews. I don't think I've ever met a professor who actually was that hardcore about attendance-mostly it's just threats to make people come to class.

this class meets once a week (Wednesdays), so 2 classes is a big deal. And yes, I will get an F if I miss more than two. The two they give ARE for interviews.

The reason why I'm asking is because I know if you're on waitlist, often sending a recent transcript can give you an edge. But would I want to do that if I have an F on it?

The reason why I'm asking is because I know if you're on waitlist, often sending a recent transcript can give you an edge. But would I want to do that if I have an F on it?

Well, I don't imagine failing a class would give you an edge, even if it is a throw-away class like this (because part of what gives yo uthat edge is proof that you're not slacking off, etc.). Can you audit the class?

Well, I don't imagine failing a class would give you an edge, even if it is a throw-away class like this (because part of what gives yo uthat edge is proof that you're not slacking off, etc.). Can you audit the class?

well, if I have a 4.0 (doable) and an F, should i send that in or bury it?

and this class can't be audited.

Reschedule your interviews. I know a school will give you a specific date, but just tell them your situation and it will most likely be changed.

I'd drop or withdraw from the class. A W will look better than an F.

I sure as hell wouldn't send in a transcript with an F on it before I got an acceptance unless they specifically required me to do so.

well, if I have a 4.0 (doable) and an F, should i send that in or bury it?

and this class can't be audited.

An F is an F, and probably is even worse on a gut class. If your goal is to send in a transcript in hopes of getting off a waitlist, wouldn't taking an actual substantial class be what you need anyway?

Can you, um, learn about wine on your own? :laugh: You know, vinyards and even wine shops offer courses on wine tasting and wine history, so it's not like if you don't take it now you miss out on it forever....

drop the class and take it next semester. it's the only solution beyond scheduling interviews around your class time.

I have already sent in most of my secondaries, and plan on matriculating next year. I am taking a 2-credit pass/fail class on wines this semester. Attendacne is mandatory, and I will fail if I miss more than 2 classes...but I might have to because of interviews.

But will failing this class look bad? I mean, it has nothing to do with medicine or my major, it won't drop my gpa, and I have a legitamate excuse for failing it.

Can you talk to the professor? Tell him/her that you are very interested in the course, but of course getting into med school is a priority for you as well. Explain the situation very nicely, and ask if there is a way you can make up classes if you absolutely MUST miss more than 2. Something like writing an extra paper or giving a presentation? It's worth at shot...

Edit: I would recommend talking to the prof ASAP... Don't wait till it's a problem and there's nothing you can do about it. They may appreciate that you're being up front and responsible about the whole thing.

Can you talk to the professor? Tell him/her that you are very interested in the course, but of course getting into med school is a priority for you as well. Explain the situation very nicely, and ask if there is a way you can make up classes if you absolutely MUST miss more than 2. Something like writing an extra paper or giving a presentation? It's worth at shot...

Edit: I would recommend talking to the prof ASAP... Don't wait till it's a problem and there's nothing you can do about it. They may appreciate that you're being up front and responsible about the whole thing.

:thumbup: :clap: I'm with the above poster. I was looking for the "I am with stupid"(don't take offense) smiley.

Simple. Since the class is just for fun anyway, withdraw from it or just take it as an audit. Why introduce risk that can crush your career aspirations just for a wine elective?

I'd drop or withdraw from the class. A W will look better than an F.

I sure as hell wouldn't send in a transcript with an F on it before I got an acceptance unless they specifically required me to do so.
Agree with this. My one and only W was from a racquetball class, that I took under similar circumstances as yours. I had a bunch of job interviews that required me to miss class. The "Professor" (guy who worked for the athletics dept. that taught the class) was going to fail me because I missed too many classes for job interviews. Dropped that one like a bad habit.

Agreed, why would you sign up for some ridiculous class with mandatory attendance when you knew you'd be interviewing....

Simple. Since the class is just for fun anyway, withdraw from it or just take it as an audit. Why introduce risk that can crush your career aspirations just for a wine elective?