Failed COMLEX 2. Should I study USMLEWorld or KAPLAN QBanks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Hef

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I failed COMLEX Step 2. I'm trying to decide b/w USW and Kaplan. I've been told USW is harder and Kaplan is too easy. I think the exam was so vague, I don't know which to study now. Of those who have used either of these resources to take Step 2, please advise which was best and why. THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

I failed COMLEX Step 2. I'm trying to decide b/w USW and Kaplan. I've been told USW is harder and Kaplan is too easy. I think the exam was so vague, I don't know which to study now. Of those who have used either of these resources to take Step 2, please advise which was best and why. THANKS!

I recommend using USMLEworld because of what you will get out of it. Yes, it is more difficult but it will teach the concepts you need to know and understand. I agree the COMLEX II you cannot study for like you can USMLE II, but between USMLEworld, secrets for step 2, and Savarase you should be able to pass with flying colors.

If you want any other advice just PM me.

I studied using USMLEasy and Kaplan Q Banks. I felt that the Kaplan Qs were somewhat outdated. I had heard good reviews from other DO students that had used Kaplan and had done well on boards. Since I had used Kaplan for Step 1, I thought maybe I should of use Kaplan to study for Step 2 too. I just took COMLEX last week though and I wish I would of used USMLEworld. The COMLEX test is just so difficult to study for... the questions are vague and it is often difficult to discern what the writers are asking for. The real killer questions on my test though were the OMM questions. I studied OMM using Saverese and knowing what I know now I am not sure I would of studied any differently. I know I am rambling :) but my advice is to use First-Aid, USMLEworld, Saverese and any other OMM book you can get your hands on. I hope this helps. Good luck!

USMLE World

Savarese

those are the ONLY things you need to use to PASS

and then...during exam... prayer and a coin to flip

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the advice. I'm about to sign up for USMLE World. I have 4.5 wks until the exam. Is this enough time with USW? I am also looking at my CrushStep2 book again. Should I look at FirstAid or something else instead? I'm actually pretty comfortable with the OMM. So the big things are USW and Crush. Thanks!

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm about to sign up for USMLE World. I have 4.5 wks until the exam. Is this enough time with USW? I am also looking at my CrushStep2 book again. Should I look at FirstAid or something else instead? I'm actually pretty comfortable with the OMM. So the big things are USW and Crush. Thanks!

Do USMLEworld and when you get done doing it...do it again...repeat as necessary. There are 2200 questions...I imagine you can cover a lot of ground in 4.5 weeks, especially if you are motivated. I would not even touch the First Aid or Crush for step 2 since they didn't help you much the first time. Just me 2 cents though.

Make USMLEworld your best friend. I went through it twice and wish i had time to go through it one more time.

Do USMLEworld and when you get done doing it...do it again...repeat as necessary. There are 2200 questions...I imagine you can cover a lot of ground in 4.5 weeks, especially if you are motivated. I would not even touch the First Aid or Crush for step 2 since they didn't help you much the first time. Just me 2 cents though.

Make USMLEworld your best friend. I went through it twice and wish i had time to go through it one more time.
Thanks again for the great advice. If I'm studying around 8 to 10 hrs/day - how many questions per day would I try to get through on average. I'm pretty slow when it comes to Q's - It took me the entire 8 hrs to get thru the actual exam - so I want to make sure I'm going thru USW at a good pace before the exam.

I'm thinking that it would be realistic to be able to complete 92 questions a day (2 sets). Thats doing all 92 questions in tutor or untimed mode and reading each answer carefully to make sure you understand it. It's probably better if you also do random questions as well. It took me 1 hour to do the questions itself and then 1 hour to review the answer, so 4 hours total for 2 blocks of questions. Then use the next 4-5 hours to just do crush step 2.

The key is not to overload yourself with material but just pick 1 good question source and 1 good book and know it like the back of your hand before the test.

I did UW and think it prepared me for the exam very well, but I did USMLE not Comlex so cant tell you about that part.

Thanks again for the great advice. If I'm studying around 8 to 10 hrs/day - how many questions per day would I try to get through on average. I'm pretty slow when it comes to Q's - It took me the entire 8 hrs to get thru the actual exam - so I want to make sure I'm going thru USW at a good pace before the exam.

I agree with the not overloading yourself part. Truth is, you will likely reach a flat curve where your new learning is tapered off to nil. I would try to be somewhat leisurely about it. I am not a stellar student and I studied for step 2 for about 1.5weeks before the exam using only USMLEWorld doing ~2 full question sets per day (one timed, one untimed), but made sure I thoroughly read each explanation after I completed the set... even the ones I got correct and knew that they were correct. Always helps to gain that confidence in the stuff you already know. Use crush as another resource for support of the info, but beware that sometimes too many resources at short notice, may confuse concepts. Best of luck, I know you can kick this test's ass! ;)