Failed COMLEX Level 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrutusTheDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thank you advance for any input and suggestions you can offer. I recently failed COMLEX Level 2 and my school is now going to pull me from my fourth year (audition) rotations until I pass Level 2. Since this will push my graduation date back (instead of June 2013, it will now be around September 2013 due to having to make up rotations that I have missed thanks to my school pulling me from rotations), should I just forego ERAS this year and just apply next year after I graduate? I am not sure what my chances are since I won't be able to start in July 2013 with the rest of the residencies since I will still be making up rotations. I passed COMLEX Level 1 on my first attempt and am applying for Family Medicine residencies.

Thanks again for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello.
Sorry to hear about your trouble. You will need to prioritize a bit here. People fail the Standardized tests all the time, what really screws you here is the fact that you will be "off cycle" and not finishing in time to start in July.
Your priorities should be...
1) Graduate - do what your program needs you to do. Get help and study for the test so you can pass it outright.
2) Strengthen Your Test scores - Not only pass the test the next time around, kill it, make people think the fail was a fluke.
3) Build up your academic side, you will need something to make up for your fail on the test. Do research etc.
4) As a former selection committee chair, I know most programs are looking for people who will start July 1. It will be rare for you to find a program looking to take you "off cycle." Honestly on their end they will even be scared to commit until you show them you pass the test and have a solid graduation date.
5) In my opinion ( and I would wait to see if other prog directors or attendings comment) I would not enter match this year, take care of business, spend a year strengthening your application, then reapply next year with better options. Again just my opinion...good luck.

You have to withdraw from the Match because you won't be eligible to start work on July 1 which is a requirement for Match participation.
This is absolutely correct. If you can't start work July 1, you will be withdrawn from the match. You can't ask programs to match you to start in September.

So, several options:

1. You can look for off cycle spots in September. Perhaps someone won't be able to start, will change their mind, have visa problems, etc. But spots like this will not be common.

2. As mentioned above, your main priority now is to do as well as you can on the COMLEX. Simply passing it will get you graduated from medical school, but may limit your residency options. If need be, consider taking MORE time to study, since now there is no rush.

3. Perhaps your school would be willing to allow you to extend your 4th year through May/June of next year. This would give you more time to study, more time for audition rotations, and more time for electives. Some allo schools allow this without any additional tuition -- so it's just living costs. Note that this keeps your loans out of payment.

4. If #3 is not possible, see if your school will give you a leave of absence for research. You could then get a research position (or do something in global health, or education, etc), and again push graduation off until next year.

If you do graduate in September, don't forget that you might need to start paying your loans. Good luck!

Thank you to everyone for the input! I am still waiting to hear from my school on what the outcome is going to be and how it ultimately affects my schedule. I will be withdrawing from the match and focus on passing COMLEX Level 2, then graduation and pursuing a research position until the match opens next year.

Any suggestions on finding a research position or if the positions will pay? I am worried about starting to pay off loans when my deferment expires.

Thanks again, everyone!

Thank you to everyone for the input! I am still waiting to hear from my school on what the outcome is going to be and how it ultimately affects my schedule. I will be withdrawing from the match and focus on passing COMLEX Level 2, then graduation and pursuing a research position until the match opens next year.

Any suggestions on finding a research position or if the positions will pay? I am worried about starting to pay off loans when my deferment expires.

Thanks again, everyone!

You should talk with your school about delaying your graduation rather than graduating and doing research (unless you have a real thing for research). You're going to be in a big enough hole as a DO with a Level failure. Not being a fresh grad is only going to make that worse. You're probably going to get more bounce out of additional clinical experience than you will out of research, especially if you're applying to DO programs.