Failed first year. Getting back up is the hardest thing I have to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did he procrastinate too much at the beginning? Curious as to how he failed a year and then destroyed the Steps. Maybe he attended a top-tier medical school, where you're given some leeway?

I dunno why he messed up to be honest , we don't really talk about it. Yeah he went to a good medical school, could be a reason I dunno.

Members don't see this ad.

What does that mean by "failing a year"? Do they not allow summer remediation? Did you fail every class M1 year? If this is the case, you should really put some thought into repeating it because many say M2 year is harder.

There are a few people who failed this year. Aside from people saying how much that sucks for them, no one has really cared from what I have seen.

Even if people cared, in the end, you are in school to become an MD and not necessarily to be the most popular student in class.

Members don't see this ad :)
You must not have noticed; Dermviser has a soft spot for this particular oddity we know as Arkangeloid.

The pot calling the kettle black.

Everyone in med school works hard, by in large.

Maybe to a certain extent. However, at my school at least there was a huge variability in the number of hours studied during the preclinical years.

We had some students who would literally sit in the library or Starbucks for 12hrs a day and others who would read 3-4hrs a day and not even start watching lectures till a week before the exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Some may say, "he must not have been smart enough," but those of us just completing second year know better. Those people are fools. Medical school is only about 30% brains and the rest boils down to hard work, a little luck, and a strong support network to keep from losing your mind.

After I got into medical school and physician mentors opened up more to me I discovered that some of the best docs I know are the ones who struggled. They're the ones who had family troubles, financial troubles, health troubles, or academic troubles. In the end they made it and that adversity they faced built character that no textbook can instill.

I challenge you not to view this as defeat. Rather view it as a break. It's a time to separate yourself from the stress of day to day school, buckle down and study first year material at your own pace, and return next year with your head held high. There are a number of students in my class who weren't with us originally. And I can say today without a doubt they'll be some of the finest doctors I'll ever have the privilege to call colleagues.

Hang in there.

Reactions: 3 users
If life is a D&D game, then Constitution and Charisma are the stats that modify med school success, not Intelligence.

Trust me, it can be done. I had to repeat my first year due to depression. I took half of my first year to go to counseling and get my life back, then started back up. It was the most difficult thing I've ever done, I lost every friend from my old class I thought I had, but I made way better friends in my new class, and am graduating on Friday going into General Surgery. So trust me, it sucks but it's doable, and I think in many ways it's not only made me a better doctor, but a better human being. People will talk, people will lie, but most people won't care. And anyone who does truly isn't important, because they aren't you. You decide your self worth and how you feel about the situation, no one else decides for you. I will say, I think finding new friends in your class is really important. I think having a core group of some people to lean on is the difference between those who I've seen recover from repeating a year and those who don't. I know it was for me. Just be really honest with yourself about what's happening, why and how you want to choose to deal with it and you'll be starting in the right place. Feel free to pm me if you have any quesitons.

wtf? take your crazy geeky garbage out of here. I hope people don't think all medical students are gaming dorks.
True picture of Anastomoses...

3b3d5668-4982-440a-9306-70c1342dd45a.jpg

wtf? take your crazy geeky garbage out of here. I hope people don't think all medical students are gaming dorks.

If people were to make generalizations about all medical students based on the statements of one, I'm pretty sure they would assume that we were crazy people who are so obsessed with our studies that we quiz others on physiology in nightclubs.

Reactions: 2 users
If people were to make generalizations about all medical students based on the statements of one, I'm pretty sure they would assume that we were crazy people who are so obsessed with our studies that we quiz others on physiology in nightclubs.

oh SNAp

Yes, that's true. More to the point, your hobbies are gross.

Members don't see this ad :)

I have done many things in my life that are "gross," and many things I should be ashamed of and apologize for.

D&D is not among them. That game, and all the games it has influenced (which is pretty much every single RPG) enriched my life and without a doubt shaped it for the better.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm proud to have played D&D since middle school. And there ain't nothing you can do about it. :p
I have done many things in my life that are "gross," and many things I should be ashamed of and apologize for.

D&D is not among them. That game, and all the games it has influenced (which is pretty much every single RPG) enriched my life and without a doubt shaped it for the better.
Tell us more. This sounds very deep.

Give me one good example of how D&D shaped your life. Not "oh i made close friends", that doesn't have to do with the game thats just spending time with friends. You could have played sports or done something else.

Something specific to D&D that enriched your life.

Give me one good example of how D&D shaped your life. Not "oh i made close friends", that doesn't have to do with the game thats just spending time with friends. You could have played sports or done something else.

When I was a younger Ark, I was bullied frequently, and I consequently became a sad, shy, and rather withdrawn person. I had few friends at school, and my relationship with my parents was always rather poor (and still is).

But none of that mattered when I played RPGs. Because there, I wasn't Ark the lazy, shy, nerdy dude, I was a badass Great Weapon Fighter or whatever (Incidentally, I've recreated that Great Weapon Fighter as a 2H Cyclone Duelist in Path of Exile, and he's my avatar here!). And sure, it may sound stupid and juvenile. Hell, looking back, I think it's stupid and juvenile. But I'm 23-year-old Ark. To 13-year old Ark, it was a safe place where I could grow, explore, and flourish without judgment or reproach. And that meant the world to a young boy.

You want specifics? Ok. There was a game I played called Knights of the Old Republic. I'm sure you've heard of it, as it is one of the most celebrated video games of all time. It's D&D cut-and-pasted into the Star Wars universe, complete with Strength/Dex/Con/etc, saving throws, d20, and all those mechanics. The first time I played that game was in 8th grade. I didn't really know much of what I was doing (now that I look back), but I had fun nonetheless.

Since then, and over the years, I've revisited that game many times, playing as a different class, a different strategy, in each run. Over time, I learned more and more about it, and I slowly mastered the game to a point that 13-year-old Ark didn't think was possible. Back then, I just played the game on Easy and had a good time with a few buddies. But the most recent time I played it was during Biochemistry/Genetics in the Fall. In that run, I played it not only on Hard, but downloaded modifications to enhance the difficulty of the final boss. Without any guidance, I optimized a Lightside Soldier/Guardian that I would use against him. I played through the game, and it worked!

I don't really play video games because I want to destroy things. I like to create something, be it a character, a city, a civilization, etc. And this was the actualization of all of that: I had, by myself, created something that conquered the most difficult challenge in the game.

In any case, has anyone ever told you to read and reread a classic book, because the book doesn't change, but you do? Well, this is just like that. KOTOR remained unchanged (and I know D&D probably has a different edition from when I used to play it, but the core mechanics are the same), but I didn't. It represents not only a safe place I could have fun in, but also my growth into the person I am today.

When I was a younger Ark, I was bullied frequently, and I consequently became a sad, shy, and rather withdrawn person. I had few friends at school, and my relationship with my parents was always rather poor (and still is).

But none of that mattered when I played RPGs. Because there, I wasn't Ark the lazy, shy, nerdy dude, I was a badass Great Weapon Fighter or whatever (Incidentally, I've recreated that Great Weapon Fighter as a 2H Cyclone Duelist in Path of Exile, and he's my avatar here!). And sure, it may sound stupid and juvenile. Hell, looking back, I think it's stupid and juvenile. But I'm 23-year-old Ark. To 13-year old Ark, it was a safe place where I could grow, explore, and flourish without judgment or reproach. And that meant the world to a young boy.

You want specifics? Ok. There was a game I played called Knights of the Old Republic. I'm sure you've heard of it, as it is one of the most celebrated video games of all time. It's D&D cut-and-pasted into the Star Wars universe, complete with Strength/Dex/Con/etc, saving throws, d20, and all those mechanics. The first time I played that game was in 8th grade. I didn't really know much of what I was doing (now that I look back), but I had fun nonetheless.

Since then, and over the years, I've revisited that game many times, playing as a different class, a different strategy, in each run. Over time, I learned more and more about it, and I slowly mastered the game to a point that 13-year-old Ark didn't think was possible. Back then, I just played the game on Easy and had a good time with a few buddies. But the most recent time I played it was during Biochemistry/Genetics in the Fall. In that run, I played it not only on Hard, but downloaded modifications to enhance the difficulty of the final boss. Without any guidance, I optimized a Lightside Soldier/Guardian that I would use against him. I played through the game, and it worked!

I don't really play video games because I want to destroy things. I like to create something, be it a character, a city, a civilization, etc. And this was the actualization of all of that: I had, by myself, created something that conquered the most difficult challenge in the game.

In any case, has anyone ever told you to read and reread a classic book, because the book doesn't change, but you do? Well, this is just like that. KOTOR remained unchanged (and I know D&D probably has a different edition from when I used to play it, but the core mechanics are the same), but I didn't. It represents not only a safe place I could have fun in, but also my growth into the person I am today.
That's fine for a 13 year old boy. The problem that I think @Anastomoses is getting at (rather inartfully) is that as you grow older it becomes a problem when it starts substituting for other things (social interaction, etc.). It also becomes a good crutch. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing bad about playing video games. It's when it becomes this when it's a problem:

That's fine for a 13 year old boy. The problem that I think @Anastomoses is getting at (rather inartfully) is that as you grow older it becomes a problem when it starts substituting for other things (social interaction, etc.). It also becomes a good crutch. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing bad about playing video games. It's when it becomes this when it's a problem:

Heh, my new "creation" that I'm working on is my physique, and I am a lot more sociable now (perhaps the anti-anxiety meds have something to do with that).

As @southernIM says, I probably won't be the kind of dude who rubs his junk on random chick's posteriors to the beat of deafening hip hop music at a nightclub, but I'm not quite that troll in the picture either.

In any case, I've suffered and continue to suffer enough. My life would have been a lot worse without said games.

KOTOR is a great game.

I was wondering when this thread was going to become focused around you. lol.

Your making a video game sound like some spiritual enlightening experience. Lets not get all crazy here.

Heh, my new "creation" that I'm working on is my physique, and I am a lot more sociable now (perhaps the anti-anxiety meds have something to do with that).

As @southernIM says, I probably won't be the kind of dude who rubs his junk on random chick's posteriors to the beat of deafening hip hop music at a nightclub, but I'm not quite that troll in the picture either.

In any case, I've suffered and continue to suffer enough. My life would have been a lot worse without said games.

ok maybe video games affected you in a different way than most people, thats a good thing. Sorry, maybe i'm being close minded.

The same could be said about exercise, eating healthy, watching movies, etc. One does not have to be club hopping extreme to be happy.
You've decided that gaming makes you happy, hence why you believe it makes you happy. Nothing wrong with that. Just do it in moderation.

Isn't that a guy an actor and a Youtube celebrity though?

Isn't that a guy an actor and a Youtube celebrity though?

yeah i think he is.. is he the guy that eats a lot with a shirt off and people celebrate him?.

Society is celebrating obesity now days, its getting out of hand. Like women are like ooh love me for my curves and other people are like yeah you wear it proud. That stuff annoys the hell out of me.

KOTOR is a great game.

I was wondering when this thread was going to become focused around you. lol.

Your making a video game sound like some spiritual enlightening experience. Lets not get all crazy here.

You're the one who asked me to justify myself. Aren't you prompting me to make this thread about me?

In any case, I suppose it would seem weird to someone else, but I mean, I was a sad kid, and I've always had a lot of psych issues. Tbh I might have attempted suicide had my games not been there for me.

You're the one who asked me to justify myself. Aren't you prompting me to make this thread about me?

In any case, I suppose it would seem weird to someone else, but I mean, I was a sad kid, and I've always had a lot of psych issues. Tbh I might have attempted suicide had my games not been there for me.

Haha true I did ask you. Well I'm glad games helped. Maybe you should get a psychiatrist if you are still going through the problems? Sounds like you are fine now though.

Haha true I did ask you. Well I'm glad games helped. Maybe you should get a psychiatrist if you are still going through the problems? Sounds like you are fine now though.

I'm seeing a psychiatrist regularly. I think SSRIs have made a huge difference in my life, I no longer struggle with things like OCD, self-harm, binge eating, or horrible anxiety.

No psychologist though. Sometimes I wish I had someone to talk to.

I guess that's what SDN is for!

You seem so critical of video games. You're a girl right? Sounds to me like someone got ditched by their BF to play games at one point in time.

It fostered my creative and wild imagination. There's something about pencil-and-paper table-top games that can never recreated in video games: freedom. Video games can tack on expansions, add more menus, new combos, expansive worlds, etc., but you're still limited to what the creator has predetermined. I don't want to write an essay because I have UWorld blocks to do, but in D&D, the players interact with a Dungeon Master (DM AKA the creator of the world) in real-time. And there aren't buttons you have to press; you mention your commands and the DM judges how your actions will impact the world and how the world will impact you. Thus, you have room to be creative and imaginative with your actions. If you're the DM, you get to control how the world works and operates and thus it is the subject to your heart's desires. You're the author of a play being written in real-time both by you and the feedback from the players. It can be slow, but it's fun once you get into it.

At least it's not LARPing.

I'm seeing a psychiatrist regularly. I think SSRIs have made a huge difference in my life, I no longer struggle with things like OCD, self-harm, binge eating, or horrible anxiety.

No psychologist though. Sometimes I wish I had someone to talk to.

I guess that's what SDN is for!

After all these problems you were still able to get into medical school? You must be really clever.

I just finished a conversation with a friend of mine..he's gorgeous and lovely, attended Harvard and I've always teased him for...well, for liking country music and for being a "trekkie". So I shot him a message asking about LARPing. He laughed and said he did a little D&D in high school as an escape from the poverty and abusive father he dealt with at the time. We analyzed my own discomfort with the associations...and I asked if what I perceived about these people is accurate. We both concluded the same thing by the end of the conversation:

In short, it's very unappealing to need escape from your reality to be some -great warrior fighter - or whatever you called it. As a kid? Sure. Now that you're an adult and can totally control the circumstances of your own reality, no. As a female, I intrinsically feel a repulsion for a person whose own reality is so unpleasant that he can't bear it himself...who wants to be near that person? Who wants to share his experience? You know what your piranhacondas aren't you telling you about fish or about human nature period? Nobody wants to be with someone who doesn't have fun being who he is - who stares at others with jealousy and rebuke. Like you said before...play your own game and win. Find what's super about you...and work that. Roleplaying is escapism...better than alcohol or drugs but it's just as crass + offputting.

At the very least, stop talking about it in polite company. It's like admitting you have a big zit on your S5 dermatome.

Are you stupid enough to think you have to be ditched by someone to find video games off-putting? I actually like video games. I would totally play super mario with a friend or bf...but this stuff is kinda...um...lame. Taking on characters/pretending to be someone else with qualities you don't actually have because you need to derive self esteem in a fantasy? I think not.

Meh, to each, their own. We all have our immature defense mechanisms.

After all these problems you were still able to get into medical school? You must be really clever.

I had even more problems than that: I was a huge LoL addict, putting in 20-30 hrs/week some time. What I lacked in a work ethic, I made up for with cleverness I guess.

You can't do that in medical school though.

I just finished a conversation with a friend of mine..he's gorgeous and lovely, attended Harvard and I've always teased him for...well, for liking country music and for being a "trekkie". So I shot him a message asking about LARPing. He laughed and said he did a little D&D in high school as an escape from the poverty and abusive father he dealt with at the time. We analyzed my own discomfort with the associations...and I asked if what I perceived about these people is accurate. We both concluded the same thing by the end of the conversation:

In short, it's very unappealing to need escape from your reality to be some -great warrior fighter - or whatever you called it. As a kid? Sure. Now that you're an adult and can totally control the circumstances of your own reality, no. As a female, I intrinsically feel a repulsion for a person whose own reality is so unpleasant that he can't bear it himself...who wants to be near that person? Who wants to share his experience? You know what your piranhacondas aren't you telling you about fish or about human nature period? Nobody wants to be with someone who doesn't have fun being who he is - who stares at others with jealousy and rebuke. Like you said before...play your own game and win. Find what's super about you...and work that. Roleplaying is escapism...better than alcohol or drugs but it's just as crass + offputting.

At the very least, stop talking about it in polite company. It's like admitting you have a big zit on your S5 dermatome.

Are you stupid enough to think you have to be ditched by someone to find video games off-putting? I actually like video games. I would totally play super mario with a friend or bf...but this stuff is kinda...um...lame. Taking on characters/pretending to be someone else with qualities you don't actually have because you need to derive self esteem in a fantasy? I think not.

I'm not put off by what someone else chooses to do with their time. If it is somehow negatively effects me, then sure it's possible. In most games it's not like you can be your own character, so I'm not really sure how you're painting it out to be like some fantasy world. People like to do different stuff. If someone plays golf in their free time, I approve just as much as if they like to play video games. I'm sure there's stuff I do that they personally wouldn't want to do in their own life, yet I doubt they reflect on that as off-putting or stupid.

Also, I suppose you don't wear makeup then, do you? If so, if your own reality is so unpleasant that you have to administer chemicals to deal with it, how can you stand yourself? See what I mean?

PS there are tons of games that are pretty highly competitive and incredibly stimulating from a mental experience. I can't think of very many other ways to develop high amounts of hand-eye coordination besides sports and video games.

I don't know what southernIM said...could you link to the post? Either way, who wants to be that guy rubbing up against female posteriors in a club? You can take your wife to the club in a few years and rub on her posterior all you want.

Last edited:
I had even more problems than that: I was a huge LoL addict, putting in 20-30 hrs/week some time. What I lacked in a work ethic, I made up for with cleverness I guess.

LoL is a great example of something that is incredibly mentally stimulating in my opinion. You have a relatively large area to navigate with 3-5 people trying to destroy you along with objectives. All about the details. Trying to watch the minimap while performing a multitude of actions in your lane.

This post is putting ark down. And pretty mean. You would never tell someone (eg. Patient) that what they are doing is wrong and off putting if it's helping their depression. You don't know what he went through.[/QUOTE]

I have a friend who'd play LoL all day in medical school. You'd think he was some scrawny, shut-in nerd/weirdo, right?

He's actually a massive former D1 wrestler who was offered a modeling contract and seems to have zero problems socially. Go figure.

I have a friend who'd play LoL all day in medical school. You'd think he was some scrawny, shut-in nerd/weirdo, right?

He's actually a massive former D1 wrestler who was offered a modeling contract and seems to have zero problems socially. Go figure.

It's by far the most common game at my school. I'd say 20%+ of dudes in my class play it to some degree.

LoL taught me so much about life it's just ridiculous. Did I spend too long on it? Without a doubt. That doesn't mean it wasn't a positive influence in my life.

It's kinda popular in med school too, hell, even my Microbiology tutor plays LoL, and she's one of the most studious women I've ever met.

I mean, I won't tell outsiders I play these games. Hell, when I'm at a party, I totally fake who I am. I don't even use my real name amongst outsiders (not that they could pronounce it anyways). I sure as hell won't tell people about the trauma and suffering in my past/present.

Here's southernIM's post.

This is what I mean when I say you just have no clue how this whole thing works. If you're a twenty-something med student who has never been kissed, never gone on a date, never had sex, it's not med school/residency that's getting in the way of you living the Tucker Max lifestyle.

Hint: The thing that is stopping you from having successful interactions with women or clubbing it up is not Time, Money, Muscles, or Prestige.

Even if in 5-10 years you have all these things, you're not going to be suddenly living it up in a club with "biches" hanging on each arm. It's just not who you are.

You need to figure out how to connect with women in the real world. Like...a basic conversation. That's baby step number one.

LoL taught me so much about life it's just ridiculous. Did I spend too long on it? Without a doubt. That doesn't mean it wasn't a positive influence in my life.

It's kinda popular in med school too, hell, even my Microbiology tutor plays LoL, and she's one of the most studious women I've ever met.

Another reason it's so popular is that it's so competitive and is almost entirely based on wit and reaction. What medical student in the world wouldn't want to go 1 on 1 or 5 v 5 with someone else and try to dominate them?

At least it's not LARPing.

I admire LARPers and cosplayers to a certain extent due to their ability to basically give society the finger saying, "You might think it's crazy, but we enjoy this." Alas, I still have the proverbial stick up my backside for that.

I'm not put off by what someone else chooses to do with their time. If it is somehow negatively effects me, then sure it's possible. In most games it's not like you can be your own character, so I'm not really sure how you're painting it out to be like some fantasy world. People like to do different stuff. If someone plays golf in their free time, I approve just as much as if they like to play video games. I'm sure there's stuff I do that they personally wouldn't want to do in their own life, yet I doubt they reflect on that as off-putting or stupid.

Also, I suppose you don't wear makeup then, do you? If so, if your own reality is so unpleasant that you have to administer chemicals to deal with it, how can you stand yourself? See what I mean?

PS there are tons of games that are pretty highly competitive and incredibly stimulating from a mental experience. I can't think of very many other ways to develop high amounts of hand-eye coordination besides sports and video games.
You're muddling a bunch of **** together. Any large degree of escapism involves hating your reality and or self.

And yeah...I didn't even wear a flip of makeup on my vacation. But no, adding a little cosmetics to look gorgeous or prettier is not the equivalent of whatever bad analogy you're making.

Huh? I don't mind those people as long as they don't judge my love of beauty. If they are happy being fat, let them be. I would prefer that than hearing them whine and moan about how life sucks for them because the world is a vampire (hint, hint). Besides, it's like the whole gay thing...the more gay guys (if you're a guy), the less competition there is. :)

I don't hate or dislike fat people. It's fine if they accept their fat. It's when they say " doc I think I'm healthy, I barely eat doc". It's when they think what they are doing is fine for their health is what gets me annoyed.

I admire LARPers and cosplayers to a certain extent due to their ability to basically give society the finger saying, "You might think it's crazy, but we enjoy this." Alas, I still have the proverbial stick up my backside for that.

Hahaha, I have to admit I harbor the same feelings. I don't really hate on them. A lot of my friends are super creative cosplayers. All in all, I don't really give two craps what people think my interests, my hobbies, or anything about my life unless its constructive criticism. I'll live life how I see fit, and if you don't like it? Tough. Besides Step 1 looming and robbing me of my sanity, I'm as happy as I've ever been.