Failed first year. Getting back up is the hardest thing I have to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

failed29

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am a 25 year old medical student in Florida (MD) who just found out 3 weeks ago that I failed my first year of medical school. The dean of medicine is asking me to repeat the first year. I don't know what I did wrong this past year. I studied as hard as my classmates, but I guess I was not studying enough. I think I can repeat first year successfully because I have already seen the material but I have a few questions on how this affects me.

I have to start first year with a new class on August 4th.

How do I tell my friends that I failed? I don't want to be labeled by my classmates and professors as the girl who was forced to repeat first year. I think my close friends would understand but what do I do if I run into other friends from my previous class when I am back on campus for first year work? My campus is really small and gossip and rumors spread really fast. I know I shouldn't be worried about this, and I should be focusing on my studies but honestly, studying becomes really hard if you don't have a support system of friends. How do I tell my new classmates that I am forced to repeat first year?

I am grateful for the opportunity to repeat, but I am worried I am going to be a loner for the next 4 years because most kids in medical school will not want to associate with the kid who failed a year. I screwed up. I never had any trouble academically in my life, and this is severely hurting my self image.

If anyone has had to repeat first year has advice for this failure of a lady, I would be greatly appreciated.

I told a professor in one of my classes from first year that I have to repeat. He told me that dealing with the boredom of the same material will be tough.

How do I get past this? This is the hardest thing obstacle that I have ever had to overcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I am a 25 year old medical student in Florida (MD) who just found out 3 weeks ago that I failed my first year of medical school. The dean of medicine is asking me to repeat the first year. I don't know what I did wrong this past year. I studied as hard as my classmates, but I guess I was not studying enough. I think I can repeat first year successfully because I have already seen the material but I have a few questions on how this affects me.

How do I tell my friends that I failed? I don't want to be labeled by my classmates and professors as the girl who was forced to repeat first year. I think my close friends would understand but what do I do if I run into other friends from my previous class when I am back on campus for first year work? My campus is really small and gossip and rumors spread really fast. I know I shouldn't be worried about this, and I should be focusing on my studies but honestly, studying becomes really hard if you don't have a support system of friends. How do I tell my new classmates that I am forced to repeat first year?

I am grateful for the opportunity to repeat, but I am worried I am going to be a loner for the next 4 years because most kids in medical school will not want to associate with the kid who failed a year. I screwed up. I never had any trouble academically in my life, and this is severely hurting my self image.

If anyone has had to repeat first year has advice for this failure of a lady, I would be greatly appreciated.

I told a professor in one of my classes from first year that I have to repeat. He told me that dealing with the boredom of the same material will be tough.

How do I get past this? This is the hardest thing obstacle that I have ever had to overcome.
Your choice is to be the doctor who had to repeat her first year of med school, or to not be a doctor. Which do you want to be? You need to be your own study support system; you are the only one you can rely on, and you will need to step up on your own and be able to succeed on your own. Studying shouldn't depend on your friends; learning material isn't a team sport, and your friends can't help you during an exam or later on when you are alone on the floor in charge of a patient. Take this opportunity to become an independent learner, not one who needs to be studying with other people.

As to how to tell other people, just state the facts, and move on. Rumors will fly, but who cares? People like to act like med school is high school, but the best way to avoid that drama is to not participate. Act like an adult and most of the "kids" in med school will reveal themselves to be kids, while you can be the grown up. To be seen as an adult, though, you have to act like one. You are in med school, this isn't middle school, the pointless immature garbage and drama will only affect you if you let it. Don't let it; you have a lot more to worry about than what people might be saying about you, so focus on what matters, your studies, and let petty people gossip and spread rumors.

Reactions: 7 users
just say you had to redo first year if they ask. otherwise don't bring it up.

my classmates that failed reacted differently. some isolated themselves totally, others hung out with their old cliques, and a few would come chill with us. most still had friends. their boyfriends and girlfriends didn't break up with them because they had to repeat a year. a few were happier in their new class. repeating a year doesn't make you a social pariah.

you are going to be very bored going through the same material. at least you will understand it a lot better than us.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I find it odd that you don't know what you did wrong this past year. You need to figure that out before starting up next year so you don't make the same mistakes again.

Reactions: 7 users
I know a man who failed second year. Since then, he has gained quite a bit of fat on his previously muscular frame, and his (fairly attractive, IMO) girlfriend left him once she heard the news. If it were me, I would be devastated. But he's still open about failing the year, and still smiles and jokes about it to everyone nearby.

I know another girl who failed first year. She remains resolute as ever.

Reactions: 1 users
I find it odd that you don't know what you did wrong this past year. You need to figure that out before starting up next year so you don't make the same mistakes again.

I agree. If you don't know what you did wrong, how are you supposed to know what to improve? You become at risk of failing again even though you will be more experienced on what to expect.

You said you thought you may have not studied enough. How much were you studying per day or per week? And how much of that was distractionless studying? Did you find the material difficult to conceptualize or rote memorize? Did you have a set study schedule to study a certain amount of time each day or did you cram the night or two before? What were strengths and weaknesses of your study plan(s)? Those are a few of the questions you need to address for yourself.

As an aside, I had a few first year friends who failed. News got around quickly, but we didn't ostracize them or anything. Besides having to repeat first year again, everything else seemed normal for them.

As for people not wanting to associate with you, well, you're going to have to deal with some of that. At this point, pretty much everyone knows I'm a crappy student, and some people avoid me or disassociate themselves from me because of it. One person referred to me as a "****."

Most other people don't care, or are very supportive and friendly.

But I mean, y'all know what it do. Fk the haters mang.

I know a man who failed second year. Since then, he has gained quite a bit of fat on his previously muscular frame, and his (fairly attractive, IMO) girlfriend left him once she heard the news. If it were me, I would be devastated. But he's still open about failing the year, and still smiles and jokes about it to everyone nearby.

As for people not wanting to associate with you, well, you're going to have to deal with some of that. At this point, pretty much everyone knows I'm a crappy student, and some people avoid me or disassociate themselves from me because of it. One person referred to me as a "****."

I so want to believe you really exist.

Stop turning every thread into your personal diary, eeyore.

Reactions: 13 users
So might be an obvious answer, but do you have to pay full tuition to repeat the year?

Like someone said above...in 4 years you can either be a doctor or not, make your decision and don't look back.

Yes, the material will be boring to go through again. Turn it into a positive and focus on learning it better than any of us ever did to perform strong on step 1.

Like someone said above...in 4 years you can either be a primary care doctor or not, make your decision and don't look back.

Yes, the material will be boring to go through again. Turn it into a positive and focus on learning it better than any of us ever did to perform strong on step 1.

Fixed it.

Members don't see this ad :)

Good grief how do you know he left him bc of the "news"?

How do you know it's bc of your grades and not a personality clash thing?

Reactions: 2 users
Good grief how do you know he left him bc of the "news"?

Well, she left him shortly after he failed the year, so I assumed it was because of it.

How do you know it's bc of your grades and not a personality clash thing?

Well, I don't know much about women,but I know that they like to be around high-status men, and I'm not exactly a baller here.

Well, she left him shortly after he failed the year, so I assumed it was because of it.

Well, I don't know much about women,but I know that they like to be around high-status men, and I'm not exactly a baller here.
Ah, you assumed!! In that case :rolleyes:. "I don't know much about women,but I know that they like to be around high-status men," --- and the last half of that sentence proves your first half.

Arkangeloid looks faker and faker with every post.

Reactions: 1 user
Arkangeloid looks faker and faker with every post.

OP asked what happens to a failing student, and I responded with the truth. Perhaps it seems fake to you because you've never had to experience such a thing. I hope God continues to bless you so that you are safe from such troubles.

For what it's worth, I am doing a lot better than I was 5 months ago, mentally.
Thats because you have been talking to all of us on SDN. SDN is an online psychiatric clinic.

Sorry to hear about your troubles OP. In 10 years when you are a doctor, no one is going to know so don't worry about it too much.

Reactions: 6 users
Baby steps. Change in perception of things is always good.

...who are you and what've you done w/ DermViser?

Thats because you have been talking to all of us on SDN. SDN is an online psychiatric clinic.

Sorry to hear about your troubles OP. In 10 years when you are a doctor, no one is going to know so don't worry about it too much.

One where we TRULY don't know who's the Dr. and who's the Pt.

Hey everyone,

You tell them, "This sucks, but I'm going to have to repeat 1st year." I was one of about 5-6 people at my school who had to repeat 2nd year of medical school and I didn't face any problems like what you're concerned about. Your millage will vary.

I know a person who failed a year and matched into neurosurg.
I know a person who failed a year and won the nobel peace prize and 3 gold medals and matched into plastic. I win.

Reactions: 8 users

This is probably for the better. You need to be able to lean on your significant other when times are tough and need someone there in your corner to support you. Not someone to who is going to ditch you at the first signs of trouble. I'd say he dodged a bullet on that one.

Reactions: 5 users
I know a person who failed a year and won the nobel peace prize and 3 gold medals and matched into plastic. I win.
e537e56f-c2e3-4cf1-98c5-563187d1982b.jpg

OP asked what happens to a failing student, and I responded with the truth. Perhaps it seems fake to you because you've never had to experience such a thing. I hope God continues to bless you so that you are safe from such troubles.

The failing isn't the problem -- failing a med school class isn't that rare. It's your persistent odd posts.

And I'm not religious so no need to credit my personal success to anything other than my own hard work.

Get your head up and keep chuggin. Figure out 3 things to change for your repeat and move on. Do great from here on out and your possibilities will be higher than a few on here are indicating. If someone is going to look down on you for having to repeat, that's likely someone you wouldn't want to associate with anyway. There's no way of knowing what someone else goes through, and if someone is naive enough to assume you aren't worth being around because of having to repeat, good riddance.

It is as big as an issue as you make it. Everyone talks....might as well get used to that. Just focus on your classes and try to help your classmates. That's what a couple of folks did that failed first yr with us. They were great tools because they knew what was coming and could warn us. I loved having them around.

Just take it as another obstacle in life and overcome it. Years from now nobody will care when you have the degree.

The only caveat is it might and probably will hurt your chances at more competitive residencies. Depending on how you come back and perform. Also, if you just failed one class or multiple.

At my school, they are seen as an asset and source of knowledge. Some are very popular in their new class, some are isolated because most of their friends are in the old class. No matter what we all are in it together and have to battle the game of med school.

Just make peace with it and move onward and upward. :)

The failing isn't the problem -- failing a med school class isn't that rare. It's your persistent odd posts.

And I'm not religious so no need to credit my personal success to anything other than my own hard work.

Hah, you may not believe in him, but it sure looks like he believes in you! :)

In any case, what do you mean by "odd posts"?

Why did you only find out 3 weeks ago? Don't you have to fail multiple classes to be asked to repeat the year?

How did you not know you were going to fail the year?

In cases of failing students, a committee of admins meets and puts the student on a trial to determine what his/her fate will be. You can appeal the result of the trial if you so desire. The admins at OP's school decided her sentence recently.

In cases of failing students, a committee of admins meets and puts the student on a trial to determine what his/her fate will be. You can appeal the result of the trial if you so desire.

Ah you replied before I had a chance to edit. Check the edit.

What I was trying to ask was if you are at risk of needing to repeat the year don't you see it coming before it happens?

Everyone in med school works hard, by in large.

Reactions: 1 user

It's not? I find that hard to believe. A lot of my friends (at various schools) say their class exam averages are anywhere from 10-20 (usually more like 13-15) above the grade necessary to pass and that the failing grade is usually >2SD from the mean.. which means it's very unlikely that people are failing even a single exam.

It's not? I find that hard to believe. A lot of my friends (at various schools) say their class exam averages are anywhere from 10-20 (usually more like 13-15) above the grade necessary to pass and that the failing grade is usually >2SD from the mean.. which means it's very unlikely that people are failing even a single exam.
You must go to a top tier school, then.

You must go to a top tier school, then.

I have friends at DO schools and middle-tier MD schools who say the +13-15/2SD thing too.

I would have guessed an 83-85% average with SD of 5 is common at schools where passing is 70.