Failed. Help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi, so to start off, am not a pharmacy student (am recent graduate, applying to MPH programs soon). However, I just found out today that my boyfriend failed the compounding part of the pharmacist licensing exam (we live in NYC). He is completely shattered as we are both in a tight financial situation and were hoping he could start working soon (in NY, it seems he cannot retake the exam for another 6 months).

I would greatly appreciate some advice so I can offer a plan of action to him. Is it possible for him to take the other two parts of the exam (not sure what they're called, something about legal issues, and the other is a more general exam?) and get licensed in another state w/o the compounding part? Would he need to take these exams in another state to be licensed, or could he take them in NY and transfer his license somewhere else? I don't know if you need a certain amount of experience to transfer a license; he has worked for 5 years as a pharm. tech at a hospital while going to school (he is intelligent but a v. anxious test-taker).

I don't know what to do; I feel awful for him. I'm ready to move wherever, so any advice would be great. Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

When you registered for NAPLEX, did what states did you pay for to do NAPLEX score transfer? I would highly advise you to apply (be liscensed) for other states, I am not sure if it is necessary for you to stay in NY. Also, if you are in a tight financial situation, i would recommend reading a book called "Americas Cheapest Family". Great book on how to save money.

something about legal issues = MPJE
more general exam = NAPLEX
In order to be licensed in NY, one needs practical exam (compounding)

Most states do not require additional exam other than MPJE and NAPLEX. MPJE is state-specific, so he will need to take one for whichever state he is willing to go. Some states have different requirements, however, like CA, AR, MS, etc. For complete information for licensing requirements, visit that state's Board of Pharmacy (or equivalent) website.