Failed My Chem 1 Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rh2k20

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I failed my Chem 1 Exam. This is the second exam, the first one I got a 96. Each exam is worth 12% and we have weekly quizzed worth 6% each. I have gotten mostly hundreds with one 80 and 90. I dont know what happened this exam as I studied more than the first exam and took last years exam, yet this one was way harder. Im not sure what to do now. Should I stick through it or drop the class. And any tips to bettering my studying to be more effective.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh and just an fyi, I did not cram study and I planned out the info I needed to study and followed through. I just felt the exam was way harder than any practice and completely caught me off guard especially after the first exam.

You need to meet with your instructor, go over your exam and see what questions you missed and why. Your strategy clearly was ineffective. Others passed the exam or got good scores. If you are unable to rectify your deficiencies, you should meet with your advisor and the education resource dept at your school to discover if you have any learning issues.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
how much did you get in the exam? what's class average? What's your over grade so far? Is there a curve for this class?

Reactions: 1 user
I cannot see the class average yet, and the professor blocked us from seeing our overall grade because there was a glitch with canvas. Its Gen Chem 1 and its my first semester of college, all online.

how much did you get in the exam? what's class average? What's your over grade so far? Is there a curve for this class?
I cannot see the class average yet, and the professor blocked us from seeing our overall grade because there was a glitch with canvas. Its Gen Chem 1 and its my first semester of college, all online. No curve however a 65 is a C

I cannot see the class average yet, and the professor blocked us from seeing our overall grade because there was a glitch with canvas. Its Gen Chem 1 and its my first semester of college, all online. No curve however a 65 is a C

Yes but what did YOU get?

That's not so bad considering that an exam isn't worth that much. Go to office hours and figure out where you went wrong/why you went wrong and make a plan to improve before the next test. You don't need to drop this class at all!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
That's not so bad considering that an exam isn't worth that much. Go to office hours and figure out where you went wrong/why you went wrong and make a plan to improve before the next test. You don't need to drop this class at all!
Well if you wanna hear some good news. Due to technical issues with the exam yesterday, they are giving a retake to everyone tomorrow. They will take the higher score.

Reactions: 3 users
Well if you wanna hear some good news. Due to technical issues with the exam yesterday, they are giving a retake to everyone tomorrow. They will take the higher score.

Better get off SDN and study then! ;)

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Seriously, if you are not understanding something then look into academic support services at your university and get help. There is no shame in getting help from a tutor or finding other outside resources that help you integrate the material better.

Better get off SDN and study then! ;)
Well the retake grade came out and I got a 72. Kinda balances out with my 96 on the first exam. Still not good but definitely better than failing. Will definitely work harder next exam but I guess Stoichometry is not my strong suit.

Reactions: 2 users
Well the retake grade came out and I got a 72. Kinda balances out with my 96 on the first exam. Still not good but definitely better than failing. Will definitely work harder next exam but I guess Stoichometry is not my strong suit.
Congrats! A 22 point increase isn't anything to scoff at and chemistry is one of the more difficult prereqs!

Congrats! A 22 point increase isn't anything to scoff at and chemistry is one of the more difficult prereqs!
Thanks a one day distance between the retake was hard but I am happy I was able to at least get a C.

The class is not exam heavy and I have been doing pretty good on the quizzes so now my exam grade wont hinder my total grade as much as a 50 would.

With it balancing out with your previous high grades, you should be fine moving forward. Keep your head up OP. There will be plenty of pre-requisite courses that you will have to adjust exam to exam but its what makes you a better student in the end.

If your class is graded on a curve, that F will likely be curved up. If that's the case, just bust your ass off for all of the other exams and you will still be able to end with a decent grade. Even if it's not curved, your exam 1 is only 12% of your grade, so just do better on everything else and you'll still be good.

I got a b- in gen Chem 1 and 2 and go to an awesome md school