Failed naplex twice please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmacyGirl1212

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
The first time I did not study enough. The second time I did however, I was not able to complete the exam. I had 20 questions to spare. I used RX Prep to study. I wanted to know what the best source to study from is? Should I purchase another source?

Members don't see this ad.

The problem in this case is not about the material. Rxprep book and quiz bank are sufficient enough to pass the new naplex. However, it's about the strategy and study method that will make a difference.

Check out my post:
Passed New Naplex with 3 digits score

Reactions: 1 users
The problem in this case is not about the material. Rxprep book and quiz bank are sufficient enough to pass the new naplex. However, it's about the strategy and study method that will make a difference.

Check out my post:
Passed New Naplex with 3 digits score
Thank you I was not able to answer 20 questions and quickly answered the last 10 that in order to catch up. I scored a 65. Do you think that If i did answer all of them I would of received a passing score.

Thank you I was not able to answer 20 questions and quickly answered the last 10 that in order to catch up. I scored a 65. Do you think that If i did answer all of them I would of received a passing score.
It doesn't matter now. The reality is that you didn't pass. You should focus on study method and strategy to tackle this exam. One of the obvious problem is that you did not manage time to be able to finish the exam. So, develop a plan to solve this problem. One of the solution is that you practice and time yourself.

Using the rx-prep bank, set your goal to get to 30-40 second/questions for a duration of 250 questions. Recording your result into a excel sheet. Pay an attention to it and everyday try to get close your goals. If you read slow, try speed reading techniques. If the problem is material, try to review weakness chapters everyday so that you come up with your decision fast.

You need to figure out what was wrong with the past two naplex exams. Write down the problems, develop a plan to solve the problem, and do it. Importantly, Monitor the result, and modify your strategy a long the way.

Failure is an opportunity to discover your potential ability. Its an opportunity to see things in a new way and to break your limit. At some points later in your life, you will be thankful that your past failures are the reasons for your current success.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't matter now. The reality is that you didn't pass. You should focus on study method and strategy to tackle this exam. One of the obvious problem is that you did not manage time to be able to finish the exam. So, develop a plan to solve this problem. One of the solution is that you practice and time yourself.

Using the rx-prep bank, set your goal to get to 30-40 second/questions for a duration of 250 questions. Recording your result into a excel sheet. Pay an attention to it and everyday try to get close your goals. If you read slow, try speed reading techniques. If the problem is material, try to review weakness chapters everyday so that you come up with your decision fast.

You need to figure out what was wrong with the past two naplex exams. Write down the problems, develop a plan to solve the problem, and do it. Importantly, Monitor the result, and modify your strategy a long the way.

Failure is an opportunity to discover your potential ability. Its an opportunity to see things in a new way and to break your limit. At some points later in your life, you will be thankful that your past failures are the reasons for your current success.

Thanks so much for replying. I am currently timing my exams and reviewing my weak chapters as you did. The only reason I asked was because I wasn't sure if my issue was timing or material. But I am starting to realize I can obviously improve both. I am imitating your technique. As well as documenting my progress. Thank you so much for sharing your strategy and for helping others. I agree failures lead to improvement. Thanks again.

Do you read the whole case for every question? I did the 185 questions version and I was able to finish 1 hour early. I would read the question first because most of the time you can answer it without reading the case. If you see two answer can be right then you will go to the case and see if patient allergic to certain drugs, renal, and lab. That's how I did it. You want to save all the time you can have for math/biostat. The reason I passed because I had like 40 questions total math/biostats. If you need more advice, feel free the PM me. Good luck!

Do you read the whole case for every question? I did the 185 questions version and I was able to finish 1 hour early. I would read the question first because most of the time you can answer it without reading the case. If you see two answer can be right then you will go to the case and see if patient allergic to certain drugs, renal, and lab. That's how I did it. You want to save all the time you can have for math/biostat. The reason I passed because I had like 40 questions total math/biostats. If you need more advice, feel free the PM me. Good luck!
I was taking my time the second time around, like was highlighting main points even though I knew the answer just to be super cautious since I failed the first time. The first time I finished early and I though next time I'm going to take my time. The first time I didn't study enough for the second time I knew the answers and If i didn't I would spend time on it which lead me to rush through the last 50 questions where I was unable to answer 20. I did the read the question first, but my silly self was over analyzing everything. Thank you for sharing your experience and offering a helping hand. I appreciate it.

I was taking my time the second time around, like was highlighting main points even though I knew the answer just to be super cautious since I failed the first time. The first time I finished early and I though next time I'm going to take my time. The first time I didn't study enough for the second time I knew the answers and If i didn't I would spend time on it which lead me to rush through the last 50 questions where I was unable to answer 20. I did the read the question first, but my silly self was over analyzing everything. Thank you for sharing your experience and offering a helping hand. I appreciate it.

I wouldn't spend more than 1 sec per question if it is not math/biostat. The more you stare at the questions, then you will be second guess yourself. Usually you will get it wrong. That's my advice, but good luck! I do have notes that from people posted here. I found it pretty useful for some random chapter. I would also focus on the topic you are not good at. Like DM, HTN, etc... I feel like you should know those general topic well. I would focus like eyedrop, antibiotic, HIV, cancer, RA, OA, arrhythmia, etc. I got most of the questions from those topic, but again everyone is different. I am not sure how is the new test. I heard it's kind of adoptive too. Good luck. JUst PM me if you want those notes.

Why were you spending as much time as you did per question? That is, since you ran out of time, you were spending too much time on many questions, but why is that? Was it because of calculations or reading charts, etc? If it was calculations, you have to practice those until you can pump out the correct answers without hesitation. If it was reading charts, practice reading charts; know where to find relevant information, locating values/meds for the correct date, etc. If you were spending time because you didn't know the answer, learn to eliminate answers you know are wrong, and use educated guessing to choose an answer (not saying a pharmacist should get away with guessing - this is just a tip for test taking). Don't waste time on a question you can't answer, it's very likely that you simply will not remember the answer without wasting a lot of time on it. Something my friend of mine did (she was notorious for taking a long time on exams) was to mark how many questions she should have done by a certain time mark, and use that to keep herself on track at a good pace. For example, you could divide the 6 hours and 250 questions into quarters, which gives you 90 minutes to complete 63 (62.5) questions. So when your timer says you have 1 hr and 30 min left, you should have completed at least 188 questions to finish the exam on time.