Failed Naplex with 73

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rx201605

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I took my exam last week, I found out I passed. My topic are HIV, oncology (alot), ID (alot), asthma, anticoagulant, antidote, and some random topic. I do have ALOT of MATH and Biostats at the end of my exam. Like some people mention above, don't spend too much time on a question. Always look at the question and answer choices. For example, patient has HAP. What is the tx? If there is 3 answer choices that can be treat with the disease --> then you look at the profile on allergy or think does those drug cover Pseudo and Strep P.? etc. Most of the time, you don't even need to look at the case. Also, most of the time they asked you if this abnormal valves. What drug can cause that? and What drug can tx that? Asthma, i will focus on counseling point like which inhale need to rinse your mouth and which one need to be prime? Oncology, know SE and toxicities (what to tx)? ID...know your basic and read the chart in the Rxprep book. What is the 1st and 2nd line treatment. KNOW THE prophylaxis (PCP,MAC,Toxo) chart in the Rx prep! Also, know the G+ cluster/cocci = what bacteria, know what disease = what bacteria cause that? I got alot of antidote questions too, whatever Rx prep underline (KNOW it!) it's easy point. MATH and biostats! I just used Rxprep and it was good enough for me. Rxprep is too much information and too overwhelming. I would go with the basic knowledge first. Don't go into detail! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all for sharing so openly, it really touched my heart. I'm studying now too; timed myself on some math questions, and some of them took me 4 min., so
I know I need to do them over and over, and also assess where I'm likely to make the silly mistakes that lose the question. I've done all the RXPrep quizzes (except maybe 12 small chapters) and made notes on them as I took them - used my phone to take the quiz, and make notes on my computer at the same time. Took me FOREVER; I know I'll need to study all the good information that's given in their answer explanations and I wouldn't remember if I didn't makes notes. I thought the explanations were very useful.

The guy who makes the ProntoPass stuff advised me to study 6 months - no working at all, full-time studying, more than 8 hrs a day. He did relent and say maybe I
could do it in 4 months. I've been out of school a looooooong time; I'm licensed up north, but moved to a state that requires re-boarding if you haven't worked 2 of the past
5 years. I had worked 1 year of the past 5 (life situations). So here I am, studying away. I worked a few years in retail, and quite a few in hospital, so it helps things fit
into a schemata....somewhat. So much new though, and the bar has really been raised. I thought the math would be easy for me, always has been; but there wasn't
the speed requirement, when I last took the NAPLEX. We were all scared, of course, and had little clinical information compared to the current curriculum.

I appreciate hearing what people in-the-know have said about the expanded test - that the content won't change. It sure did look to me like their explanation implied
an expansion - I thought the gist of it was "so all the areas the pharmacists are responsible for can be tested". I had read in Kaplan's 2016 book that it is not a content
change, though, so that agrees with what has been shared here.

Anyway - thanks everyone, and sincere best wishes as we put the pedal to the metal.

Yea man, the math can be nasty. It is not hard math because we are not doing multivariable calculus and mathematical series or sort of, but the wording and the time is a killer. So only option is try over and over and think through the problems with a "hospital pharmacists" mentality. In my experience from the previous naplex that I failed. They want to give licenses ONLY to people who will work at the hospital and know about math in hospital. I got one question related to retail in total in my exam, math/everything else combined.

My friend just took the naplex yesterday. He pretty much had the same experience as I did. Questions covered various topics, did not focus or dwell on any particular one. He said he had ID, onco, HIV, anticoag, psych, and compounding questions. Also had HTN and DM but not as much as the other topics. Lots of easy math and stats. He said he spent about good 2 months preparing on and off since he had some person issues he was dealing with. He only used rxprep and thought it was all he needed. So there you go, seems like we can all agree that this exam is definitely doable and we just need to spend enough time studying it.

Members don't see this ad :)
"failing naplex should make you a horrible pharmacist". Whoever, said this, took the naplex version that was back in the 90s. Because if this was true, then, a whole bunch of pharmacist working right now at major hospitals should be horrible pharmacists. And in reality, all these pharmacists I am telling you about are ESSENTIAL part of the round teams at these hospitals, in areas such as critical care, cardiology, transplant, ped onco, adult onco, warfarin clinics. Based on my personal survey, the stuff I got asked during the naplex, is N O T relevant to how you will practice, or make you a horrible pharmacist. I mean if the test throws at you random questions about stuff that are borderline prevalent in the population, most likely 90% of current practicing pharmacists will fail. Because of the randomness, yea the critical care pharmacist will kill it in that subject matter, but what about the onco, osteo or whatever else is throw at it?, yes, blank.

What I believe is that the board is taking a monetary approach (price of new test is going up), the majority (NOT ALL) of pharmacists that are in current high level positions, they took the naplex way back in the days when therapeutic options were less available, questions were MUCH less random, and those questions tested a required core knowledge that by all means was MUCH less wider than current standards. I believe, these are the same pharmacists, now with many many years of experience, at the top of their careers, that are pushing harder and harder to complicate the board exam, why?. Because of the current influx of pharmacy students which translates to saturation, decrease demand, decrease pay, decrease all. Instead of preventing pharmacy schools from "popping up everywhere", because they can control it to a minimum. Then, they try to control what they can directly influence, which are the boards. By making it harder, difficult, esoteric, borderline relevant, and just raw-memorization type of "either you know or not", knowing that questions of these sorts of either "know it or not", can be looked in 10 seconds in an electronic resource. It is obvious, lets say, if you do not know a random number for the "max rate of infusion of x drugs", you will NOT as a practicing pharmacist, throw in a random number, and kill the patient. We all know, this generation born with the electronic world at our hands, we will check the info before giving a recommendation. It is unfair.
We do not get a question like what is the main side effect of an ACEI (cough), what would be a relevant recommendation (change to ARB), and what it would be an important counseling point for our beloved patients?.
We get what is a "common" warning about nitisinone? (Developmental Delay and Hyperkeratotic Plaques). I know, so "fair" in the eyes of the board. (And no, this is not a naplex question, I looked it up and made it up)

I hope the new test, measures something different than the one that is going out of favor.

I believe what the board should do better to assess students/pharmacists for what they actually will be practicing, is to create a book or their own guidelines with a compendium of the most prevalent, relevant stuff that the student will encounter, in a particular area, and test the student on these subjects. I mean, if a student will be going to a residence in a hospital, it makes sense to test the student about the majority of situations in this area. Asking black box warnings or whatever about medications the future pharmacist will borderline encounter is a joke and a waste of question per money for the test. Using these method, I would be willing to pay thousands of dollars for a test, that actually measures DIRECTLY how competent you will be, and more important how DIRECTLY you will be benefit the target population you will be practicing with. That would be an awesome job from the board, if they can do something like this.

Well, whatever, it is what it is. And we need to pass to pay the huge student loans, which the board cares little about.

I actually took the NAPLEX in the 90s, the only answers were aspirin, acetaminophen or that new drug ibuprofen, so it was a lot easier . . . I'm kidding, but I don't think any electronic exam can measure what a pharmacist needs to know, I think real case studies talking to people and providing written essay like answers would be closer or even better an old-old-school oral exam defense . . . I really just wanted to say after 20 years of practice, I empathize and I wish you the best of luck on your next try.

Hi,
Where did you take the exam? What state?
I'm in new york. I failed with 73 too and used rx prep as well.
What's your next step? I'm also in limbo right now. I don't know what else to study. I thought about APhA review but it's so complicated and extensive. Too much I'll never finish on time.
I understand what you are going through. Please share your thoughts about getting ready for the next test. I really need to pass next time.

Hi,
Where did you take the exam? What state?
I'm in new york. I failed with 73 too and used rx prep as well.
What's your next step? I'm also in limbo right now. I don't know what else to study. I thought about APhA review but it's so complicated and extensive. Too much I'll never finish on time.
I understand what you are going through. Please share your thoughts about getting ready for the next test. I really need to pass next time.

I would think your studying habit is more important than the materials you studied with.

Last edited:
I just found out I failed with a 74! I took it the first time July 14 and scored a 69! My state granted me a waiver to take it at 45 days since the fail rate was so high and I still failed the second time! I felt fairly confident going into this test, and honestly have no clue what to even do at this point! I do agree this is a very unfair exam given that it's computer adaptive. They find your weakness, and hound you on it. My entire test was cystic fibrosis, MS, oncology, ICU, and ID. Seems pretty relevant! As far as math goes, I know I did well on it! So since I'll be getting the new test idk if I only have to wait 45 days, or if it's 91 for me! Does anybody know? I'm kind of thinking this new test will be far more fair given that it's a linear exam and everyone will be tested on the same thing. Also, does anybody know what the passing score will be on the new test? 75/200? I'm beyond frustrated right now. I was an average student (3.3 GPA) and passed the prenaplex with flying colors! So does anybody have any suggestions? I used rxprep test banks (went until I had a 90 or better on each quiz) and outlined the entire book.

I just found out I failed with a 74! I took it the first time July 14 and scored a 69! My state granted me a waiver to take it at 45 days since the fail rate was so high and I still failed the second time! I felt fairly confident going into this test, and honestly have no clue what to even do at this point! I do agree this is a very unfair exam given that it's computer adaptive. They find your weakness, and hound you on it. My entire test was cystic fibrosis, MS, oncology, ICU, and ID. Seems pretty relevant! As far as math goes, I know I did well on it! So since I'll be getting the new test idk if I only have to wait 45 days, or if it's 91 for me! Does anybody know? I'm kind of thinking this new test will be far more fair given that it's a linear exam and everyone will be tested on the same thing. Also, does anybody know what the passing score will be on the new test? 75/200? I'm beyond frustrated right now. I was an average student (3.3 GPA) and passed the prenaplex with flying colors! So does anybody have any suggestions? I used rxprep test banks (went until I had a 90 or better on each quiz) and outlined the entire book.

Just commenting to state that I had a very similar experience this past Thursday when I took it. I was given countless HIV, oncology, ICU and AKI questions until I was blue in the face. I am unsure of my results, but I am pretty sure I did not pass. It was not a pleasant experience.

Sorry to hear that.

I know if you take it after Nov. 1, your wait is 45 days but right now its still 91 days I believe.

The passing score is still 75. So with 200 questions, I assume each question is going to worth less or theyre going to scale differently somehow.

Being linear, it would seem that the exam will be more balanced and fair. Some of my friends who still havent taken it yet are undecided on whether to take the new one or the old one. It might be easier in a sense that theyre not going to throw random questions at us but its going to be 50 more questions... personally id much rather take the new one. I hated the fact that some of my friends got a truck load of math questions bc they purposely missed the first few. I thought about it but didnt think nabp or the computer system is stupid enough to fall for that... apparently, it works.

I'm sorry to hear that. I also failed my first attempt. And I have to wait for 90 days. I have to take the new version in Nov.
My strategy was to go through rxprep Qbank with a 90 or more. You have done it all and still failed. This scared me. How many time have you gone over the Rxprep Q bank entirely? I mean entirely from "chapter 2 to 75".

I'm sorry to hear that. I also failed my first attempt. And I have to wait for 90 days. I have to take the new version in Nov.
My strategy was to go through rxprep Qbank with a 90 or more. You have done it all and still failed. This scared me. How many time have you gone over the Rxprep Q bank entirely? I mean entirely from "chapter 2 to 75".
I got a 90 or better on each test. Once I got the 90 I moved on. There was a few I said "eff it" on Bc I couldn't get past a 65ish and maybe that's what got me. Since we're gonna be taking it after November 1, I'd think we would get 45 days, but I guess not.

I got a 90 or better on each test. Once I got the 90 I moved on. There was a few I said "eff it" on Bc I couldn't get past a 65ish and maybe that's what got me. Since we're gonna be taking it after November 1, I'd think we would get 45 days, but I guess not.
I don't think that's enough to move on once you got 90. During my study, I realized that I had to force myself to be "honest" with myself. I would get high score "if I just reviewed my notes and took the quiz right after that moment or the next day". Two weeks later or once I went through a circle of "75 chapter" and I took it again, the result was terrible. This is the problem. So, I asked myself the question "how do I overcome "short-term" memory? The 90 I got earlier was just a result of a short-term memory.

I believed the NAPLEX exam is designed that you have to see the answer right away on the exam. If you have to think, then you don't have enough time. The information is basic, but board. However, you have to know them. For example, what are natural products recommended for Diabetes? You just have to memorize the list. What drugs need to be renal adjusted? You have to memorize the list. The problem is how to get this information to long-term memory.

The answer is Practice, Practice Again, and Again, and Again......until its become naturally for you to see the answer. You have to review them every day. I used Quizlets and went through them everyday. Right now, I'm going through the rxprep the third time. Before, I reviewed the notes, then took the quiz. It inflated my scores because of short-term memory. Now, I take the quiz to see how much I actually know now, then review the notes to cover the weakness; importantly, quiz the weakness everyday using quizlets.

Check your message. I sent you some helpful stuffs

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I don't think that's enough to move on once you got 90. During my study, I realized that I had to force myself to be "honest" with myself. I would get high score "if I just reviewed my notes and took the quiz right after that moment or the next day". Two weeks later or once I went through a circle of "75 chapter" and I took it again, the result was terrible. This is the problem. So, I asked myself the question "how do I overcome "short-term" memory? The 90 I got earlier was just a result of a short-term memory.

I believed the NAPLEX exam is designed that you have to see the answer right away on the exam. If you have to think, then you don't have enough time. The information is basic, but board. However, you have to know them. For example, what are natural products recommended for Diabetes? You just have to memorize the list. What drugs need to be renal adjusted? You have to memorize the list. The problem is how to get this information to long-term memory.

The answer is Practice, Practice Again, and Again, and Again......until its become naturally for you to see the answer. You have to review them every day. I used Quizlets and went through them everyday. Right now, I'm going through the rxprep the third time. Before, I reviewed the notes, then took the quiz. It inflated my scores because of short-term memory. Now, I take the quiz to see how much I actually know now, then review the notes to cover the weakness; importantly, quiz the weakness everyday using quizlets.

Check your message. I sent you some helpful stuffs
You're awesome!!! Thank u so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Took NAPLEX this week. I felt like a good chunk of what I studied never showed up on the exam. Nothing "core" is the best way to describe the type of questions they ask. Biostats and math was big but they were so easy... If you did a journal club before, you can answer all the bio stats questions on the NAPLEX.

I dont think Rxprep Q bank is useful. I would just study and take the NABP practice exam and focus on the video lectures.

Reactions: 1 user
Took NAPLEX this week. I felt like a good chunk of what I studied never showed up on the exam. Nothing "core" is the best way to describe the type of questions they ask. Biostats and math was big but they were so easy... If you did a journal club before, you can answer all the bio stats questions on the NAPLEX.

I dont think Rxprep Q bank is useful. I would just study and take the NABP practice exam and focus on the video lectures.

I agree with quiz bank not helping much. More than half of the quiz questions are very peculiar and detailed that even if you memorize them, by the time you take the exam youre gonna forget. It does help in that you get to see the materials in question perspective.

I think lectures are the most helpful resources. It takes a long time but totally worth it.

I agree with quiz bank not helping much. More than half of the quiz questions are very peculiar and detailed that even if you memorize them, by the time you take the exam youre gonna forget. It does help in that you get to see the materials in question perspective.

I think lectures are the most helpful resources. It takes a long time but totally worth it.
I disagree. I think the Qbank is very helpful. Qbank is not something that will be similar to the actual NAPLEX. Instead, its a compass that guides you into the right direction. Otherwise, you don't know what to focus on. The questions ask basic material that you must know. They are basic. That's why the goal is 100%. You can expand your study after you master the basic. Please tell me people who get 100% on each topic without reviewing the notes prior, failed the NAPLEX?

If we forget what we learned, that's our problem. We need to figure out a way to get them stick. The only way I think of right now is to practice them every day, again and again. That makes people expert. They do the same thing again and again.

NAPLEX was not that hard. All you need is the RxPrep book. Studied for 2 months probably (one month of legit studying). ended up reading the book like 4-5 times and took notes on every chapter. I also only used the 2015 book.

NAPLEX was not that hard. All you need is the RxPrep book. Studied for 2 months probably (one month of legit studying). ended up reading the book like 4-5 times and took notes on every chapter. I also only used the 2015 book.
Well congrats! We're all super happy for you! However, every person is different. Some people have test anxiety, some people had to work to support families, some may have suffered a huge tragedy. You have no idea what is going on in someone's life. So maybe you should try being a little sympathetic. I studied my ass off and failed by a point. Was a very good student too! It's pathetic you had to come onto a forum of students in seek of help and advice to pass this horrible test to make yourself feel better.

image.gif

I disagree. I think the Qbank is very helpful. Qbank is not something that will be similar to the actual NAPLEX. Instead, its a compass that guides you into the right direction. Otherwise, you don't know what to focus on. The questions ask basic material that you must know. They are basic. That's why the goal is 100%. You can expand your study after you master the basic. Please tell me people who get 100% on each topic without reviewing the notes prior, failed the NAPLEX?

If we forget what we learned, that's our problem. We need to figure out a way to get them stick. The only way I think of right now is to practice them every day, again and again. That makes people expert. They do the same thing again and again.

Well I guess thats what i meant. It helps to guide you in the right direction. But without the basic knowledge, quizzes are useless so youre right. Also, not sure getting 100% on them, although more power to you if you do, is necessary. Sections like ID, HIV and onco, there is no way anyone can get a 100% unless you spend crazy amount of time studying. I would think if you got the basic foundation for those topics, you will probably end up with somewhere around 50%ish and that should suffice. For math, 90% may be reasonable.

Well congrats! We're all super happy for you! However, every person is different. Some people have test anxiety, some people had to work to support families, some may have suffered a huge tragedy. You have no idea what is going on in someone's life. So maybe you should try being a little sympathetic. I studied my ass off and failed by a point. Was a very good student too! It's pathetic you had to come onto a forum of students in seek of help and advice to pass this horrible test to make yourself feel better.

Dont let what others say bother you. If you failed by a point then you may have been just unlucky with questions. Study alittle more and you will be fine. You got this.

I'm in the same situation. I failed the NAPLEX with a 65. I have to take the new version later. But I don't know how to better prep for it now. I felt Rxprep was very detailed and even to the point I thought was a bit overwhelming. For the last exam, I made sure I got the calculation and biostat down. Then I read through the Rxprep book once and made notes for each chapter. I spent a lot of time on HIV, onc and especially ID. I did majority of the Qbank and scored like 90%. I also went through some of the online videos (but it expired before I was able to go through all of them).

After the exam, I felt good on calculation and biostat. I believe it was the therapeutic stuff that killed me. Any recommendation on how to study more efficiently so I can do better the next time?

I disagree also. The quiz bank was very helpful. It's not enough to be memorizing the answers and questions, you should understand the answers and concepts. When I got a question wrong, I'd go back and look at why I got it wrong. I didn't do the questions again right after I had done them, I waited a few weeks to make sure I hadn't just memorized answers. It was also a good way to get use to the way the NAPLEX asks questions.

Honestly, I only got 60-70% on most subjects, except math (90%), and I passed the first time around.

Last edited:
I disagree also. The quiz bank was very helpful. It's not enough to be memorizing the answers and questions, you should understand the answers and concepts. When I got a question wrong, I'd go back and look at why I got it wrong. I didn't do the questions again right I had done them, I waited a few weeks to make sure I hadn't just memorized answers. It was also a good way to get use to the way the NAPLEX asks questions.

Honestly, I only got 60-70% on most subjects, except math (90%), and I passed the first time around.
I totally agree. Don't memorize the quiz. Know the concepts. If a question asks about drugs need to be renal adjusted, know the whole list in the book, not just drugs in the question. However, the drugs in the question are there for a reason. They are basic, popular and Must be known.

I also agree. I think the Q bank questions are helpful. Though they go too much into detail sometimes. But its easier for the information to stick. I wish I could try the videos but they are too pricey for me....David I am having the same exact problem as you mentioned...I can answer the quiz questions for a day or too but then if I take the same quiz a week or two later I completely forget half the stuff..But I have learned something, when studying each chapter just focus on the underlined material first and then go more into detail/build onto it....Building on the studying instead of trying to remember every little thing the first time you read it is a more efficient way of studying....For me this exam brought in so much anxiety and I remember mid way blinking out like wtf is this...I got a score of 68 and some of the math I could not do because it wasn't as simple as RxPrep...Now I'm looking to using the prontopass flashcards for math maybe they will help idk. I had about 20 something math and I can easy say 7 of them I could not do.
Rxmrm, don't let the negativity bother you, only we know how much we have poured into this exam and the financial drain as well as emotional drain this exam has taken

Based on a huge survey of my classmates that passed the test, and those who did not pass the test, I believe it depends HUUUUGE, I repeat HUUUGE! on the type test you get on the day of the exam....

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Also I believe, the board went directly to Rxprep and other sources, look at the questions in the test banks, and made sure to ask something different from it, so people will fail and pay again the test fee. I mean, if the board wanted to help students, it would provide a rubric showing where each student failed, and which areas to improve, so that future pharmacist can actually protect the public. They are happy just failing everyone and cashing on the test fee. Also, the board and all the people in rxprep and other courses and the like come to this very forum to check what we are discussing about it.

People need a raise and promotion, PharmerIsMe. You can't get a raise and promotion if you just sit there. Go to this: https://nabp.pharmacy/ . You will see a paragraph that slabs to your face and asks you to shut up that we're "just a non-profit organization". Were there many pharmacists made fatal mistakes or incompetent enough that made them to make such change? You know the answer.

They asked a lot of "statistic/clinical significant" on the exam. I don't know if they use those words in their calculation to decide to make a change on the Naplex

They are just like Putin. And Pharmacy schools are like NATO.
Putin: Stop expanding NATO
NATO: Shut up Putin
Putin: Bamm...Crimea/Passing rate is going down. Who is going to shut up now?

I took Naplex on Tuesday, and found out today I failed with 73, yes, 73 !!! I am so miserable!!! now, I have to take a new version test after Nov. I know it will be harder. I was good on math and biostatistic on my test, but I think I must be failed on therapeutics. Any suggestion for how to study will be greatly appreciated! I am an average student and I am really in shock and have no idea how to start-over this study again. I used Rx-prep, Thanks!

hi, i recently took the NAPLEX and now i have "NULL" on score transfer on my NABP profile. Does that mean fail? - thanks

You are not alone! Hang in there.

I also just found out I failed the naplex and the mpje. I am also an average student. In a way, I feel like the naplex, is not a test about how deep you know the information, but how fast are you able to recall the right information that matches patient case. Also, knowing how to do math in your head really quick can be the breaking point. I took too much time trying to solve the math problems which seems (commenting with other test takers) like I got some nasty ones for chemo and rates. When I got to the sections where I was confident. Time was almost up, and could not analyze those. So rush over those. Used Rxprep. Many of my friends passed the naplex using rxprep as well. Some of them read the book over up to 5 times! They started way back in February. I barely finished the first time and started in June. Some people are really good at recalling information during entire pharmacy school, so they just need a month or two of refreshing and they are good to go. Some others are brilliant! they study for only a week! and passed in the 100's! (Envy them! Congrats to those folks). Some others like us, are not. For us, the only option we have is going over and over and over until sticks really well. I believe the board knows this, and that is the reason why they allow people to take the test multiple times and put a wait time before you can take the next round. In a way, they know that after a failure for these examinations we will be so traumatized that our brains will "transform" into survival mode. All or nothing. That most likely will do the trick. We can not compare ourselves to other students, or friends. People learn and recall information at different speeds. Some others have photographic memories, some others are excellent at taking tests. Only compare to yourself. And learn from it. And repeat. From today, erase from your brain your failure, and start studying hardER.

Also we need to put things in perspective, we still have another chance to take the tests. More times, yes a longer and probably harder version. But remember that we will arrive to that test as "veterans". Some people are just dying right now. And they do not have a second chance.

Remember that in the olympics the first, second, and third places, are usually defined by a tenth of a second. And if you are second or third you have to wait 4 years to try again. We have to wait 3 months. By the way, the remaining competitors finish not more than 2 seconds from the gold winner...

So here we go...we did not get Gold, or silver or anything. But this is our "Olympic race"... chin up, start training hardER for round two. Is only 90 days away.

Any materials, or suggestions, strategies are welcome. [email protected]

Hi,
I'm in the same situation as you failed last month using rx prep rsources and need to retake the new test in december. Do you need an online study partner? when will u be re taking it? my email is [email protected]

Hi,
I'm in the same situation as you failed last month using rx prep rsources and need to retake the new test in december. Do you need an online study partner? when will u be re taking it? my email is [email protected]
Hey! That would be great! I'll email you tomorrow! You may wanna check Bc the wait period is changing to 45 days! I just confirmed with my BOP and I get to take it November 14!

Hey! That would be great! I'll email you tomorrow! You may wanna check Bc the wait period is changing to 45 days! I just confirmed with my BOP and I get to take it November 14!
Hey! I'm looking for a study buddy too. May I join you ladies?

I also agree. I think the Q bank questions are helpful. Though they go too much into detail sometimes. But its easier for the information to stick. I wish I could try the videos but they are too pricey for me....David I am having the same exact problem as you mentioned...I can answer the quiz questions for a day or too but then if I take the same quiz a week or two later I completely forget half the stuff..But I have learned something, when studying each chapter just focus on the underlined material first and then go more into detail/build onto it....Building on the studying instead of trying to remember every little thing the first time you read it is a more efficient way of studying....For me this exam brought in so much anxiety and I remember mid way blinking out like wtf is this...I got a score of 68 and some of the math I could not do because it wasn't as simple as RxPrep...Now I'm looking to using the prontopass flashcards for math maybe they will help idk. I had about 20 something math and I can easy say 7 of them I could not do.
Rxmrm, don't let the negativity bother you, only we know how much we have poured into this exam and the financial drain as well as emotional drain this exam has taken

Pharm27, I agree with what you said about building on the studying instead of trying to remember every little thing the first time you read. I also got a score of 68, and I realized the way I studied then versus now were less thorough and inefficient. I crammed the readings and only took as much of the quizzes I can within 3 weeks of hardcore studying (at the same time, I was studying for my MBA degree which was very challenging). I was wrong since I did completely forget the stuff by the time I took the test. This time around for the past 2 months, I took a leave of absence from Business school, hand-written my notes on each chapter of RxPrep, took the quizzes once again to see my baseline, took notes/made flashcards on what I miss and why and retook the quizzes a couple of weeks later to see how much information I retain. I did miss a lot, but to combat my short term memory and to build it into my long term memory, I review the notes of each chapter I made, my flashcards, and the textbook regularly. It is a lot more helpful doing this than using my friends' notes since I made them and knew where and what I took notes on. I am also using prontopass flashcards for math, they are extremely helpful given the examples and the thorough example cases versus just only RxPrep which I found pretty basic.

Just commenting to state that I had a very similar experience this past Thursday when I took it. I was given countless HIV, oncology, ICU and AKI questions until I was blue in the face. I am unsure of my results, but I am pretty sure I did not pass. It was not a pleasant experience.

Just an update, I passed with a 113. I used only the Rxprep test bank and only looked at the book for HIV and Hepatitis. I'm in California and I can attest to the fact that when my registration closed, the only item remaining was "Add Score Transfer". I studied for about one week, just completing each section of the test bank and not reviewing the content for what I got wrong. I then took a two week break to finish some other obligations and studied hard (6-8 hours a day) for the two weeks prior to the exam (So three weeks total).

I focused on HIV heavily (brand/generic/ADR's/DI/Guidelines), I didn't focus much on oncology, I had a very demanding oncology rotation and felt comfortable with my knowledge base. I then focused on ID, Hepatitis, Psych, Anticoagulation and every day I did some calculations. Mainly RXPrep, the SDN questions were not worth my time IMO.

I took the Pre-Naplex and scored a 107 and I felt that it wasn't worth the purchase, it was half the duration of the exam and was not comparable to my naplex experience at all. Yes it's 100 questions, but the questions weren't as difficult and the fact that it wasn't computer adaptive gave me false confidence about the exam prior to entering. I would save that money or invest in the test bank if one hasn't started studying yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update, I passed with a 113. I used only the Rxprep test bank and only looked at the book for HIV and Hepatitis. I'm in California and I can attest to the fact that when my registration closed, the only item remaining was "Add Score Transfer". I studied for about one week, just completing each section of the test bank and not reviewing the content for what I got wrong. I then took a two week break to finish some other obligations and studied hard (6-8 hours a day) for the two weeks prior to the exam (So three weeks total).

I focused on HIV heavily (brand/generic/ADR's/DI/Guidelines), I didn't focus much on oncology, I had a very demanding oncology rotation and felt comfortable with my knowledge base. I then focused on ID, Hepatitis, Psych, Anticoagulation and every day I did some calculations. Mainly RXPrep, the SDN questions were not worth my time IMO.

I took the Pre-Naplex and scored a 107 and I felt that it wasn't worth the purchase, it was half the duration of the exam and was not comparable to my naplex experience at all. Yes it's 100 questions, but the questions weren't as difficult and the fact that it wasn't computer adaptive gave me false confidence about the exam prior to entering. I would save that money or invest in the test bank if one hasn't started studying yet.
Congratulation!!!

Hey RXmrm12,
I'm in the same boat as you, I failed my first time with 68 and am very scared to retake the exam soon for the fear of failing again. I don't know when I'll get my ATT number but I was granted eligibility 2 days ago...Just wondering after you were granted eligibility how long did it take for you to get your new ATT number? I don't know if weather I am going to take the old exam or the new one. I don't want to take the risk and then have to wait for 90 days, but at the same time I don't know how this new exam is going to be. Maybe it will be more fair idk...I still can't imagine sitting through a six hour exam...

Last edited:

So null score in CA means fail?

Damn! Nice score man, congratulations!!! You are like a couple of my friends who also studied for less than a month and got on the 120's... The common denominator among all of these buddies is that they are able to memorize stuff so fast out of random and retain it for a long time. It is awesome!!! On the other hand, I have lots of friends who studied for more than 2 months and failed just like me...Well, enjoy!

Damn! Nice score man, congratulations!!! You are like a couple of my friends who also studied for less than a month and got on the 120's... The common denominator among all of these buddies is that they are able to memorize stuff so fast out of random and retain it for a long time. It is awesome!!! On the other hand, I have lots of friends who studied for more than 2 months and failed just like me...Well, enjoy!
I have been wondering that if he was that smart, why he took the NAPLEX that late (at the end of September.) Most of people take their NAPLEX in May, June, and July. If he was that smart, he should have gotten his license early and gotten paid as a Pharmacist rather than as an intern/tech. Or he hasn't had a job offer yet, then he needs to get the license as soon as possible to apply for a pharmacist position.

I wonder if this exam is changing for the better or for the worst. Most sites that lead to NABP won't even open the web page anymore. Idk if they are preparing to add more info about the exam to their page. Do any of you know if the communication section to the naplex will be added in November or at a later time?

I wonder if this exam is changing for the better or for the worst. Most sites that lead to NABP won't even open the web page anymore. Idk if they are preparing to add more info about the exam to their page. Do any of you know if the communication section to the naplex will be added in November or at a later time?
Where do you get that "communication section"? I read the NABP blueprint 2016 and nowhere it mentions about "communication section" on the NAPLEX. It said the exam will be 250 questions in 6 hrs.

You may have been misinformed. There is no communication section being added this time. I did hear that it may be addrd in 2017 or later but the changes that take place this november are number of questions, length of the exam and non-adaptive.

I have been wondering that if he was that smart, why he took the NAPLEX that late (at the end of September.) Most of people take their NAPLEX in May, June, and July. If he was that smart, he should have gotten his license early and gotten paid as a Pharmacist rather than as an intern/tech. Or he hasn't had a job offer yet, then he needs to get the license as soon as possible to apply for a pharmacist position.

I had other personal obligations post-graduation. Trust me, if I had the opportunity to take it in May/June I would have. Taking it five months after my rotations ended made it a bit more difficult in my opinion. Thank you for your genuine concern/speculation about what I'm doing with my life. :)

It wasn't memorization, trust me, if anything that is definitely my weakness and always has been. I was always envious of my classmates who appeared to have this innate ability to absorb an infinite amount of knowledge in a very short period and perform exceedingly well on exams.

I believe exam-taking strategies had a large part to play. Utilizing POE and being very familiar with the question types and how to take them on was very important. You're not going to know everything (unless you're a savant) so it's being able to strategically approach the exam. Do any of you know of any preparatory courses that spend a fair amount of time discussing the exam structure and useful methods to take it on? Assuming they still apply similar question types for the new exam, I would highly recommend test-takers spend as much time studying for the exam as they do getting familiar with the test itself.

I believe that my pharmacy education and (partly) my clinical rotations played a role in my passing score. 70% of my exam were patient charts and cases which I was very familiar with since most of my exams during school were presented in a similar fashion. My school used k-type and select all that apply questions throughout my education (from pharmaceutics to pharmacotherapeutics), although they didn't spend time preparing us for how to approach these questions, we had to learn somehow because it was sink or swim.

I also believe that it depends on what you get on test day, this exam exploited your weaknesses and capitalized on them, if you got stuck earlier it might have thrown you off for the remainder of the exam. I hope this new exam (for those who are taking it) will be more manageable because they've at least eliminated that component which I assume none of us were familiar with or experienced in pharmacy school (unless you've taken the GRE in the past).

Last edited by a moderator:
I also believe that it depends on what you get on test day, this exam exploited your weaknesses and capitalized on them, if you got stuck earlier it might have thrown you off for the remainder of the exam.

Thanks for the input. And I TOTALLY agree with the statement above. It depends a lot!...

And I am sure, the new test will be harder.

Everything would be so "romantic" and academic, if it wouldn't be for the 200.000+ student loans that will crush the lives of many of us.

Last edited: