Failed Naplex with 73

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rx201605

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't compare NAPLEX to the Olympics.

People don't "just" fail NAPLEX. A 75 is like 5% percentile.

Blah blah negative Nancy blah blah blah. At the end of the day you need to do you what need to do. Don't compare yourselves to people who claim they didn't even study. You aren't them

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't compare NAPLEX to the Olympics.

People don't "just" fail NAPLEX. A 75 is like 5% percentile.

Blah blah negative Nancy blah blah blah. At the end of the day you need to do you what need to do. Don't compare yourselves to people who claim they didn't even study. You aren't them

Yes you are a negative nancy and I thought his reply was quite motivating. Regardless if a 75 is the 5th percentile or not, there are wonderful pharmacists practicing today who have failed the Naplex multiple times!

Members don't see this ad :)
You are not alone! Hang in there.

I also just found out I failed the naplex and the mpje. I am also an average student. In a way, I feel like the naplex, is not a test about how deep you know the information, but how fast are you able to recall the right information that matches patient case. Also, knowing how to do math in your head really quick can be the breaking point. I took too much time trying to solve the math problems which seems (commenting with other test takers) like I got some nasty ones for chemo and rates. When I got to the sections where I was confident. Time was almost up, and could not analyze those. So rush over those. Used Rxprep. Many of my friends passed the naplex using rxprep as well. Some of them read the book over up to 5 times! They started way back in February. I barely finished the first time and started in June. Some people are really good at recalling information during entire pharmacy school, so they just need a month or two of refreshing and they are good to go. Some others are brilliant! they study for only a week! and passed in the 100's! (Envy them! Congrats to those folks). Some others like us, are not. For us, the only option we have is going over and over and over until sticks really well. I believe the board knows this, and that is the reason why they allow people to take the test multiple times and put a wait time before you can take the next round. In a way, they know that after a failure for these examinations we will be so traumatized that our brains will "transform" into survival mode. All or nothing. That most likely will do the trick. We can not compare ourselves to other students, or friends. People learn and recall information at different speeds. Some others have photographic memories, some others are excellent at taking tests. Only compare to yourself. And learn from it. And repeat. From today, erase from your brain your failure, and start studying hardER.

Also we need to put things in perspective, we still have another chance to take the tests. More times, yes a longer and probably harder version. But remember that we will arrive to that test as "veterans". Some people are just dying right now. And they do not have a second chance.

Remember that in the olympics the first, second, and third places, are usually defined by a tenth of a second. And if you are second or third you have to wait 4 years to try again. We have to wait 3 months. By the way, the remaining competitors finish not more than 2 seconds from the gold winner...

So here we go...we did not get Gold, or silver or anything. But this is our "Olympic race"... chin up, start training hardER for round two. Is only 90 days away.

Any materials, or suggestions, strategies are welcome. [email protected]
If you think rxprep is not for you and cant stick info, you can try pass naplex now. Their videos are awesome. They give you a lot of mnemonics and easy tp recall during exam.

I took Naplex on Tuesday, and found out today I failed with 73, yes, 73 !!! I am so miserable!!! now, I have to take a new version test after Nov. I know it will be harder. I was good on math and biostatistic on my test, but I think I must be failed on therapeutics. Any suggestion for how to study will be greatly appreciated! I am an average student and I am really in shock and have no idea how to start-over this study again. I used Rx-prep, Thanks!

How did you find out your score so soon?

How did you find out your score so soon?

depends on what state they are in...if it's a state that does online score reporting it's alot quicker than say like California...

For example from friends' experiences in Massachusetts, they get Naplex and MPJE scores back in 2-3 days

depends on what state they are in...if it's a state that does online score reporting it's alot quicker than say like California...

For example from friends' experiences in Massachusetts, they get Naplex and MPJE scores back in 2-3 days

Oh okay thanks. Yeah I'm in California so my hair is greying. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi RX201605, I'm sorry to hear about NAPLEX, but keep your head up !

When I took NAPLEX I only used RXPREP with online quizzes to study, and I got a 116. I did a few chapters each week, and studied for about 1 month (hardcore studying). Each time I did a chapter I would make an outline on paper or computer of the most vital info, or things that seemed important, or things I thought I would forget if I didn't keep reviewing. I did each chapter quiz before I read the chapter, after a read the chapter and then a few days later. Before my exam I also took the RXPREP test as well as all of the quizzes; I used this to seek out me weakness/strengths. There was a great post on one of these threads containing a link to poster's notes (you should check it out) and it summarized each chapter in one page, although I would not recommend just using these notes alone.

Trying to read the RXPREP book is a nightmare, so breaking it down chapter by chapter and trying to simplify some of the info may be a good option. I completed all of the chapters except for ID, which I skimmed through. If you feel confident about math and biostats, focus more on the therapeutics portion of the exam, while still keep doing practice problems before your exam.

While reading the threads here prior to my exam, people seemed to mention topics, such as HIV/Hepatitis + brand/generics, so I definitely made sure to know them well ! Just to test my own knowledge I took a PRE-NAPLEX 1 week before my exam and got an 81, then re-took the PRE-NAPLEX the night before my exam and got a 112. Although it is kind of expensive for the practice exams, I think it is worth it to try an test yourself once to see where you stand with the knowledge you have.

I cannot say how this new NAPLEX will be, but if you maintain the info you already know and build to it you should not have an issue the next time to you take it ! Good luck .

I took Naplex on Tuesday, and found out today I failed with 73, yes, 73 !!! I am so miserable!!! now, I have to take a new version test after Nov. I know it will be harder. I was good on math and biostatistic on my test, but I think I must be failed on therapeutics. Any suggestion for how to study will be greatly appreciated! I am an average student and I am really in shock and have no idea how to start-over this study again. I used Rx-prep, Thanks!

Just found out I failed naplex yesterday. I got a horrible score. Too low that I don't even wanna mention here. Which means that I definitely under-prepared. Although I prepared for about 3 weeks, I was barely focused. But now that I know exactly what to expect, I will know how to prepare. Dont lose hope. We got this!

Also, I don't think the new exam will be necessarily harder. If anything, it may be easier since it has more questions and it's non-adaptive. Usually the exams with high fail rate during school were the exams with less questions. Also, now that it's being standardized, it may level the playing field. None of that "question will get easier or harder depending on how you perform" crap.

Just found out I failed naplex yesterday. I got a horrible score. Too low that I don't even wanna mention here. Which means that I definitely under-prepared. Although I prepared for about 3 weeks, I was barely focused. But now that I know exactly what to expect, I will know how to prepare. Dont lose hope. We got this!

Also, I don't think the new exam will be necessarily harder. If anything, it may be easier since it has more questions and it's non-adaptive. Usually the exams with high fail rate during school were the exams with less questions. Also, now that it's being standardized, it may level the playing field. None of that "question will get easier or harder depending on how you perform" crap.

I am sorry to hear that man, I also failed with low score...But I believe the new test will be harder in the way that it will be more "esoteric" in the stuff they ask, or they might add "more layers" to dissect before getting to the "easy or best" answer.

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear that man, I also failed with low score...But I believe the new test will be harder in the way that it will be more "esoteric" in the stuff they ask, or they might add "more layers" to dissect before getting to the "easy or best" answer. My appreciation from the test we just took, is that the board wants the majority of new grads as clinical pharmacists out there. Even though, a small percentage practice in these settings. In my test, I got 1 question related to retail. Everything else was hospital even the math. And what it hurts worse, is that I will never be a hospital pharmacist (did all my rotations at hospital setting and is not my call) because I like retail.
Also, funny or unreal, is the fact that some of the questions I got asked in the naplex I failed, I did ask some of the pharmacists at the hospitals where I did rotations (have good relationships with many of them, and they work at tertiary-level hospitals), they were like, "are you serious?, we see these events 1% of the time, or less".

Seems like the board mission is to weed out as much people as they can. And the questions in the MPJE re-affirm this notion. (Those questions are like wtf?)

Pray to your God, we do better next time. It will be a tough one. Prepare for the worse.

Agree with you on the MPJE. I passed but was dumbfounded by the questions. Maybe that's why I thought I did okay on the naplex, since I passed mpje with 4 days of studying... everyone told me mpje was so much harder. Little did I know, I was not prepared for naplex at all.

As far as the new naplex, I spoke to the professor from my school whos the head of the committee on new naplex issues, also spoke to people from rxprep and nabp and what i gather from them is that the content of the naplex changed last november. Meaning, they added more clinical stuff and made it abit more difficult. The changes they are making this time is not content related. It's the format. As most of us are aware by now, it has more questions, longer testing time and non-adaptive. Not sure how much of a difference that will make but i would assume non-adaptive part will make it much easier. I am assuming they will not concentrate on just one topic so much but will distribute evenly. As far as content of the exam, now that we've taken it once, we should be an expert on what to focus on!

Another thing to note is that, it will be 75 out of 200 questions! (out of 250, 50 will be fake questions) I mean, hell, they're seriously holding our hands and walking us up to the finish line. Unless they purposely make the extra 50 questions so much harder just to screw us over, which I don't see happening, I imagine they are trying to make this process more fair.

Regardless, if the score is low, like you and I, it just means that we slacked off. I was pretty confident on my math and stats b/c that ALL i looked at. Everything else I was just skimming thru. Didn't bother to even look at half of the rxprep book including HIV/onco/ID and many other topics that were asked on the exam. Barely memorized brand names other than the ones I already kinda knew. 80% of pharmacotherapy questions I was guessing on. I barely studied for 3 weeks. Being distracted, going to starbucks to study, hanging out with friends... totally regret all of it. Yes, yes we spent 4 years studying for this but with each rotation being very inconsistent on what we had to know and learn and our didactics being two years ago almost, going into this exam without fully dedicating months of your life is a suicide.

For the next 3 months, I will lock myself in my room and study my ass off. This is such a disgrace to ourselves and those who believed in us. Come november, we will kickass and be registered pharmacists!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I will also be retaking this nov. did u guys already send ur retake application to the board? And did u go ahead and pay the $505 on nabp even tho we can't choose a date yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will also be retaking this nov. did u guys already send ur retake application to the board? And did u go ahead and pay the $505 on nabp even tho we can't choose a date yet?

I havent paid for it yet. I dont think we necessarily have to pay for it just yet since no matter when you pay, your att wont be generated until 91 days from your previous test date.

After crying, being depressed, mourning, crying some more, I am finally myself to think clearly. I spoke to people from last year who either failed or postponed naplex and was able to come up with a good game plan. First off, I need to admit the fact that I was lazy and stupid. I did not study properly. I listened to advises that fit my lazy-ass mentality. I read on some of these threads that failing naplex should make you a horrible pharmacist. Perhaps. But as most of pharmacy students will agree, this exam is not something you can cram or yolo. If you did not pass, that's not due to your inability to be a good pharmacist, it's more likely due to you being unprepared. When I look back the last three months of this summer since I graduated, I traveled for a month, had some personal issues I was dealing with, and wanting to just start working and make money right away made it difficult to study... Anywho, no more lame excuses.

Here is what should be done, at least for me.
Since we have 3 months, after taking this week off to recuperate, I am going to start studying again next monday. But this time with a strategic game plan. First, I will print out nabp's blueprint on the new naplex and make sure I completely understand what's on it. On Rxprep online quiz, you can assign dates on each chapter and quiz. I think this may be a good way to track your studying progress. After going through as much as I can for 3 weeks, at the end of the 3rd week, I will take the prenaplex. Take a few days of break from studying. In october, I will start the process again where I study for 3 weeks and take another prenaplex. This way I know how much I improved and have an idea about where I am. Do the same thing again in november until I take the real naplex. By this time, I am hoping that I've gone thru the rxprep book multiple times. I know my strength is math and stats and weakness is EVERYTHING ELSE since I only barely looked at about 1/3 of the book. Only way to improve is to repeat, repeat and repeat some more. Some may say this is an overkill but I want to end this naplex like it's Armageddon.

I don't know how your studying habit is but if you look back, can you truly say you've done all you can to pass? Regardless of what others tell you, whether they barely studied or they studied for months and months, you need to figure out what kind of person/student YOU are in order to be successful. My two cents =) Just hope that you're not too discouraged by this event and be able to pick yourself up and be what you're meant to be: a pharmacist.

I won't wish you luck since I know you needed more than just dumb luck to get this far in your life and career. =) Happy studying!

Reactions: 1 user
This was my ammo when i retook the naplex.. I too got a lovely score of 73. So i figured i needed to really test my brain. I went through the chapters.. Took out the highlighted and bold concepts. Made flashcards... Studied those and then took it to my whiteboard. I put clear tape over the top of each chapter so i could mark them off one by one. Everyday for 2 months straight i was studying like it was my job. Id wake up at 1am-4am nap.. Then up again at 9am. Usually id stop around 4 or 5pm and relax. You have to make a study schedule!! And stick to it.. Everyday write out which chapters you are covering... And cover them!! By the second month you should be able to write out your notecards from memory. I also used the test bank quizzes from rxprep. But do not get too wrapped up in that.. Those questions are a lot harder than the real test.. Know application!

You have CHF... Labs/presentation, treatment: drugs: s/e of drugs, take off water, drugs not to use.. Know digoxin levels/toxicity

Thats it.. Basic concepts. When i first took naplex i got wrapped up in too much info. Tried to know everything! The test is 1st line treatments, general info, major SE

Good luck guys! You are smart.. I know this is a very depressive time in your lives but i want you to focus on YOU, not your friend or classmates.. You.... Grow from this experience and come back stronger.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 153
Reactions: 5 users
This was my ammo when i retook the naplex.. I too got a lovely score of 73. So i figured i needed to really test my brain. I went through the chapters.. Took out the highlighted and bold concepts. Made flashcards... Studied those and then took it to my whiteboard. I put clear tape over the top of each chapter so i could mark them off one by one. Everyday for 2 months straight i was studying like it was my job. Id wake up at 1am-4am nap.. Then up again at 9am. Usually id stop around 4 or 5pm and relax. You have to make a study schedule!! And stick to it.. Everyday write out which chapters you are covering... And cover them!! By the second month you should be able to write out your notecards from memory. I also used the test bank quizzes from rxprep. But do not get too wrapped up in that.. Those questions are a lot harder than the real test.. Know application!

You have CHF... Labs/presentation, treatment: drugs: s/e of drugs, take off water, drugs not to use.. Know digoxin levels/toxicity

Thats it.. Basic concepts. When i first took naplex i got wrapped up in too much info. Tried to know everything! The test is 1st line treatments, general info, major SE

Good luck guys! You are smart.. I know this is a very depressive time in your lives but i want you to focus on YOU, not your friend or classmates.. You.... Grow from this experience and come back stronger.

Awesome. What did you end up getting on your second try if you don't mind sharing?

Also, did you have access to the rxprep online lectures? I'm thinking about getting it since it could be a good extra source to stimulate my brain.

Awesome. What did you end up getting on your second try if you don't mind sharing?

Also, did you have access to the rxprep online lectures? I'm thinking about getting it since it could be a good extra source to stimulate my brain.

I got a 98. Yes i had access to the lectures but only used the big topic lectures..

"failing naplex should make you a horrible pharmacist". Whoever, said this, took the naplex version that was back in the 90s. Because if this was true, then, a whole bunch of pharmacist working right now at major hospitals should be horrible pharmacists. And in reality, all these pharmacists I am telling you about are ESSENTIAL part of the round teams at these hospitals, in areas such as critical care, cardiology, transplant, ped onco, adult onco, warfarin clinics. Based on my personal survey, the stuff I got asked during the naplex, is N O T relevant to how you will practice, or make you a horrible pharmacist. I mean if the test throws at you random questions about stuff that are borderline prevalent in the population, most likely 90% of current practicing pharmacists will fail. Because of the randomness, yea the critical care pharmacist will kill it in that subject matter, but what about the onco, osteo or whatever else is throw at it?, yes, blank.

What I believe is that the board is taking a monetary approach (price of new test is going up), the majority (NOT ALL) of pharmacists that are in current high level positions, they took the naplex way back in the days when therapeutic options were less available, questions were MUCH less random, and those questions tested a required core knowledge that by all means was MUCH less wider than current standards. I believe, these are the same pharmacists, now with many many years of experience, at the top of their careers, that are pushing harder and harder to complicate the board exam, why?. Because of the current influx of pharmacy students which translates to saturation, decrease demand, decrease pay, decrease all. Instead of preventing pharmacy schools from "popping up everywhere", because they can control it to a minimum. Then, they try to control what they can directly influence, which are the boards. By making it harder, difficult, esoteric, borderline relevant, and just raw-memorization type of "either you know or not", knowing that questions of these sorts of either "know it or not", can be looked in 10 seconds in an electronic resource. It is obvious, lets say, if you do not know a random number for the "max rate of infusion of x drugs", you will NOT as a practicing pharmacist, throw in a random number, and kill the patient. We all know, this generation born with the electronic world at our hands, we will check the info before giving a recommendation. It is unfair.
We do not get a question like what is the main side effect of an ACEI (cough), what would be a relevant recommendation (change to ARB), and what it would be an important counseling point for our beloved patients?.
We get what is a "common" warning about nitisinone? (Developmental Delay and Hyperkeratotic Plaques). I know, so "fair" in the eyes of the board. (And no, this is not a naplex question, I looked it up and made it up)

I hope the new test, measures something different than the one that is going out of favor.

I believe what the board should do better to assess students/pharmacists for what they actually will be practicing, is to create a book or their own guidelines with a compendium of the most prevalent, relevant stuff that the student will encounter, in a particular area, and test the student on these subjects. I mean, if a student will be going to a residence in a hospital, it makes sense to test the student about the majority of situations in this area. Asking black box warnings or whatever about medications the future pharmacist will borderline encounter is a joke and a waste of question per money for the test. Using these method, I would be willing to pay thousands of dollars for a test, that actually measures DIRECTLY how competent you will be, and more important how DIRECTLY you will be benefit the target population you will be practicing with. That would be an awesome job from the board, if they can do something like this.

Well, whatever, it is what it is. And we need to pass to pay the huge student loans, which the board cares little about.

I beg to respecfully disagree here. I do not think that the Naplex is made up of questions that are irrelevant or esoteric. I did not get a stellar score on it. I did, however, prepare with the goal of being the most competent pharmacist I could be. I did not want to be that new grad who had to look up counseling points for every drug I encountered. I can tell you that there was nothing on the Rxprep book that I had not seen, been taught or at least heard of before. The same goes for the Naplex. Everything in it is stuff that you should have encountered in pharmacy school and if not, at least during your 4th year. Soon after taking the Naplex, I realized that every preceptor I had through 4th year had been throwing at me key points which happened to be relevant for the Naplex. Some even told me, that those keypoints applied to practice, the Naplex, everything. *Hint hint...so I never minded being grilled.

Like I said, I did a thorough review of the Rxprep materials to be a more confident and the most competent pharmacist I can be. People are always surprised to hear when I tell them I am for all purposes a new grad. I think that approach yielded me confidence and allowed me to keep a lot useful knowledge handy. Same goes for the MPJE. Sure, it's vague, bla bla. At the end of the day, however, you have to know the law and if you did, you would be able to easily answer those questions.

It's not about memorization. It's about mindful retention. Most pharmacy students are really good at pump & dump. They forget everything right after an exam. Oh and those do really well, actually. See... I was not even a great student. However, whatever B or C I got... that knowledge stayed with me. I always understood the core. The Naplex is nothing more than the core of what you should know in all areas.

What you are proposing is impractical and just does not make sense to me. You can't expect the Naplex to be tailored to the student's area of practice. How would you even assign that? Right at PearsonVue? Click on X area of practice and the system would then generate a Naplex specific to that? That's not practical and then would your license be equivalent to mine? Doing this would raise so many unnecessary complications and questions that we don't even need to get into.

All we all gotta do is put our heads down and study for the damn exam and stop whining about it. Professors were right in saying that the Naplex is nothing you haven't seen before. That part is true. The part when they tell you that you've been preparing for it for 4 years and that you should just be able to walk into it and pass... that part is not true.

Everything that's bolded and to some extent in the RxPrep book falls within the minimal competency category. It's true. If you prepare with the goal of being competent, the rest will just happen; regardless of your chosen area of practice. Everyone needs to stop the herd mindset that everyone seems to develop through pharmacy school. You can't expect to pass because your friend passed with minimal preparation. You gotta do you and just that.

Last edited:
I beg to respecfully disagree here. I do not think that the Naplex is made up of questions that are irrelevant or esoteric. I did not get a stellar score on it. I did, however, prepare with the goal of being the most competent pharmacist I could be. I did not want to be that new grad who had to look up counseling points for every drug I encountered. I can tell you that there was nothing on the Rxprep book that I had not seen, been taught or at least heard of before. The same goes for the Naplex. Everything in it is stuff that you should have encountered in pharmacy school and if not, at least during your 4th year. Soon after taking the Naplex, I realized that every preceptor I had through 4th year had been throwing at me key points which happened to be relevant for the Naplex. Some even told me, that those keypoints applied to practice, the Naplex, everything. *Hint hint...so I never minded being grilled.

Like I said, I did a thorough review of the Rxprep materials to be a more confident and the most competent pharmacist I can be. People are always surprised to hear when I tell them I am for all purposes a new grad. I think that approach yielded me confidence and allowed me to keep a lot useful knowledge handy. Same goes for the MPJE. Sure, it's vague, bla bla. At the end of the day, however, you have to know the law and if you did, you would be able to easily answer those questions.

It's not about memorization. It's about mindful retention. Most pharmacy students are really good at pump & dump. They forget everything right after an exam. Oh and those do really well, actually. See... I was not even a great student. However, whatever B or C I got... that knowledge stayed with me. I always understood the core. The Naplex is nothing more than the core of what you should know in all areas.

What you are proposing is impractical and just does not make sense to me. You can't expect the Naplex to be tailored to the student's area of practice. How would you even assign that? Right at PearsonVue? Click on X area of practice and the system would then generate a Naplex specific to that? That's not practical and then would your license be equivalent to mine? Doing this would raise so many unnecessary complications and questions that we don't even need to get into.

All we all gotta do is put our heads down and study for the damn exam and stop whining about it. Professors were right in saying that the Naplex is nothing you haven't seen before. That part is true. The part when they tell you that you've been preparing for it for 4 years and that you should just be able to walk into it and pass... that part is not true.

Everything that's bolded and to some extent in the RxPrep book falls within the minimal competency category. It's true. If you prepare with the goal of being competent, the rest will just happen; regardless of your chosen area of practice. Everyone needs to stop the herd mindset that everyone seems to develop through pharmacy school. You can't expect to pass because your friend passed with minimal preparation. You gotta do you and just that.

I absolutely agree with you.

Exception of a few questions, there was nothing I did not recognize or was surprised by on naplex. Nothing really esoteric about it. It was my lack of in-depth studying that's to be blamed. I was second guessing on almost every pharmacotherapy question b/c I would kind of know the right answer but not really.

I remember thinking during my p4 year when ever I would feel incompetent, I would make it up by studying for the boards. I kept telling myself that studying for the board exams will fill in any holes. Clearly, that didn't happen... am now kicking myself in the face.

Also, I am beginning to realize how terrible its is to compare myself to others (even though sometimes you can't help it). My friends may have retained information better than I did, studied much harder, had better rotations, didn't have all the personal issues I was going through this summer... etc.

Instead of giving excuses, we (those who failed) must tackle this head on, with full speed. I mean... this is the ONLY way for us to become a pharmacist.

One good thing that gives me hope is... knowing that I passed mpje when more people fail mpje than naplex. I actually studied for mpje where as for naplex....did not... =(

Last edited:
I absolutely agree with you.

Exception of a few questions, there was nothing I did not recognize or was surprised by on naplex. Nothing really esoteric about it. It was my lack of in-depth studying that's to be blamed. I was second guessing on almost every pharmacotherapy question b/c I would kind of know the right answer but not really.

I remember thinking during my p4 year when ever I would feel incompetent, I would make it up by studying for the boards. I kept telling myself that studying for the board exams will fill in any holes. Clearly, that didn't happen... am now kicking myself in the face.

Also, I am beginning to realize how terrible its is to compare myself to others (even though sometimes you can't help it). My friends may have retained information better than I did, studied much harder, had better rotations, didn't have all the personal issues I was going through this summer... etc.

Instead of giving excuses, we (those who failed) must tackle this head on, with full speed. I mean... this is the ONLY way for us to become a pharmacist.

One good thing that gives me hope is... knowing that I passed mpje when more people fail mpje than naplex. I actually studied for mpje where as for naplex....did not... =(

Well, there you go. You're several steps ahead right there. You did not prepare well enough. Own it. Don't do it again. You know what to do. congrats on the MPJE. The MPJE situation is scary. I know of at least 30 people in different states who have failed it. Those who pass it BARELY pass it.

I got that one out of the way a month or so before taking the Naplex. You can do this, man. Just make it happen and for the love of the baby Jesus... DRILL THOSE 120 SDN calculations. Hit me up if you need anything. Gotta run. Gym time.

Best,

Apotheker2015

That is the thing. Esoteric does not mean that we get questions about engineering in a test about medications. Esoteric means that asking questions about topics that are not as relevant as other topics that are more relevant and actually seen in practice. And yes I will whine all I want because I am absolutely 100% sure that my test was NOT measuring "basic" competence statements. How basic is to get 30+ questions about oncology, 20+ questions about critical care, 20+ questions about seizures, and like 30 questions about immune diseases?...When MANY other friends got 3 questions at most about these topics, and they got lots of questions about maintenance medications and disease states that are more relevant in this nation. I am not even mentioning the math I got. And yes, everything was in a way or another in the Rxprep book and other resources. But when you realize that you get hit with such questions compared to others, you realize is simply not fair. I will whine till I die about the test they threw at me, and I will keep studying for 14 hours a day until I pass this animal. I suspect the board has realized that some students "might fall through the cracks- aka me and some others for sure" of the adaptive nature of the current test and that is one of the motives to change the approach and see how students respond.

Back to study...

That is the thing. Esoteric does not mean that we get questions about engineering in a test about medications. Esoteric means that asking questions about topics that are not as relevant as other topics that are more relevant and actually seen in practice. And yes I will whine all I want because I am absolutely 100% sure that my test was NOT measuring "basic" competence statements. How basic is to get 30+ questions about oncology, 20+ questions about critical care, 20+ questions about seizures, and like 30 questions about immune diseases?...When MANY other friends got 3 questions at most about these topics, and they got lots of questions about maintenance medications and disease states that are more relevant in this nation. I am not even mentioning the math I got. And yes, everything was in a way or another in the Rxprep book and other resources. But when you realize that you get hit with such questions compared to others, you realize is simply not fair. I will whine till I die about the test they threw at me, and I will keep studying for 14 hours a day until I pass this animal. I suspect the board has realized that some students "might fall through the cracks- aka me and some others for sure" of the adaptive nature of the current test and that is one of the motives to change the approach and see how students respond.

Back to study...

Lol i like how you sound angry in your rant! Now channel and turn that anger into motivation to kill this. I wanna see that black mamba killer look. Gimme that MJ clutch shot againt bryon russell. That stephen curry half court game winner! Lol you got this!

Back to study...

Why did you fail?

Why did you fail?
And what is worst is that I failed, and failed baaaad! Crazy questions in those that I got. And they got me in the math. I was getting 90% in the Rxprep math. In the test, it was brutal. If I would have known, I was going to get a "specialty-type-of-questions"...I would not have read diabetes, HTN, lipids, otc, antibiotics, BPH, overactive bladder, osteo, thyroid, compounding, hepatitis, and others...and would have focus on those other subjects way more. In a way, when I heard the feedback from other students who took it before me, and they passed well, is obvious that you tend to narrow down subjects...Well, it did not happen for me.

Lol man..."That stephen curry half court game winner!"...I am pumped up! that guy is the $h17!!!

And what is worst is that I failed, and failed baaaad! Crazy questions in those that I got. And they got me in the math. I was getting 90% in the Rxprep math. In the test, it was brutal. If I would have known, I was going to get a "specialty-type-of-questions"...I would not have read diabetes, HTN, lipids, otc, antibiotics, BPH, overactive bladder, osteo, thyroid, compounding, hepatitis, and others...and would have focus on those other subjects way more. In a way, when I heard the feedback from other students who took it before me, and they passed well, is obvious that you tend to narrow down subjects...Well, it did not happen for me.

Lol man..."That stephen curry half court game winner!"...I am pumped up! that guy is the $h17!!!

Were you prepared or were you not prepared?

Were you prepared or were you not prepared?

I wanna say he wasn't haha solely basing this on the fact that he did not pass. Granted, as PharmerIsMe stated, he may have gotten unlucky with question selection but anything within nabp blueprint and what our school taught us should be fair game. Also, rxprep pretty much covers everything that was on naplex I feel like.

My onco/HIV/ID, even though I didn't have alot of them (I probably had about 20-30 questions total in those topics), were not hard questions. They asked about combo therapy, what sounded like very simply ADR or SE that I didnt know simply b/c I didnt look over them, brand/generics and first-line options. I had a vanc trough question for god's sake and probably got it wrong b/c I couldn't remember (probably due to shear panic and not going over the ID section of rxprep) if it was 10-20 ug/ml or 5-15 ug/ml... oh geez...

Last edited:
Just spoke to intern coordinator for my company about my exam status. She says there is unusual high number of naplex failure this year. Not really sure what this means but she says of 20 years she's been with the company, she's never seen this many people fail. hmmm something fishy about this...

Just spoke to intern coordinator for my company about my exam status. She says there is unusual high number of naplex failure this year. Not really sure what this means but she says of 20 years she's been with the company, she's never seen this many people fail. hmmm something fishy about this...

I would not be surprised. And the one that is coming up, I believe it will be even harder...shorter

Last edited:
I would not be surprised. And the one that is coming up, I believe it will be even harder. The board is making lots of money by failing students. ~500+ a test. Fail 200 students, right there is over 100,000. And I am pretty sure they are not a pint sad about it. Easy money, they do not want more pharmacists out there. Make the exam as hard as possible. And that money most likely will not go to schools to decrease the class size number or whatever. I am pretty sure they loooove the idea of failing students a couple of times so they can get the cash from retaking the tests. I mean what benefit do they get if all students passed first time? Nothing. Money, money, money.

I can not comprehend well the idea about testing thousands of students about subjects that only (30% at most) will be practicing. Is like when I used to work at a mechanic shop, we used to ask the new mechanics trying to get a job about European, Japanese, and minimum on the American cars. We weed out a whole bunch of people this way because they were good about American cars, but not so good about the others. It was not fair, because we used to fix approximately 20% of non-American cars. The idea was that someday when the shop was super busy and someone got in with a European car, then, the guy that knew the most about that car was going to be stuck with the European car... Pointless in terms of money coming in for the business and it did not mean that a guy super good with those non-American cars was also super competent with the American cars...Eventually owner open three more shops all specialized with the right people from the beginning...Now he owns a yacht.

I believe, we have a nasty uphill battle, and we will be the first test subjects :-(.

And KoreanPharmacist, yeah, I do not think I was prepared because I could not memorize the 1000+ pages of the Rxprep course. And to make things "prettier", the stuff that I memorized the less, got bombarded with it.

Whatever, we will make it happen.

I think I mentioned this before but I do not think this new test will be harder than it already is. In fact, in my opinion it may even be easier as far as the level of difficulty since they have to pre-generate the exams which means they'll probably evenly distribute the questions. Like MCAT where the Princeton Review basically found a loophole and figured out a way to get you 30+ if you follow their method. lol. This may be good new for us since we will have higher chance of being tested over things that we actually studied. But then again, we won't obviously know until someone takes the exam and also, who gives a damn haha let's just study and get this over it!

Not sure if you necessarily need to memorize the entire book. (I know you're being sarcastic). I'm sure people who passed did not have to memorize all of it. As I said before, I have no one else but myself to blame for not studying enough.

We will be one of first test subjects, true. But things haven't changed all that much. It's not like they're testing us on astrophysics all of a sudden. (again, I confirmed this with Rxprep and NAPB folks. Testing materials will not change. We will not need new studying materials or anything like that). I would think people who took it last November had it worst since nabp added much more clinical questions to the exam.

As far as the money is concerned, I'm not sure how purposely failing us is making them more money. I do understand that they'll collect $500 but NABP is a government-run entity. If we don't get certified soon, the government won't be getting any loan payments from us. Purposely failing us is very counter-productive. It's not like the employees that work there will get extra money or yearly bonuses based on how many people fail. If they want to control how many pharmacists are produced every year and limit the number of schools, they would need to change the entrance requirements of pharmacy schools. i.e. require a degree instead of just two years of college, make pcat harder, raise GPAs etc.

When I said "fishy" I was actually thinking maybe they made the exams harder for some people (those who took it late? at which point they would HAVE to take the second exam after November) so that they can have test subjects in November. This makes more sense than robbing $500 from us haha

I understand you're mad. As I said before, let's channel that anger into something productive. Let's study hard for the next 2.5 months and show them that we are worthy pharmacists!

Last edited:
Yes the hard studying is going. But it is not counter productive for them. They are trying to secure their monthly check by being in relative demand. Basic supply and demand. Older pharmacists do not want their paychecks to decrease specially at that age because a whole bunch of newly students are coming out to the market in hordes. The government will not lose any money, if they can not compensate from new grads, then, they adjust some crazy formula to compensate somewhere else. Plus, the only way to get rid of that student loan is by dying. So if you end up working in a low paying job, they still seize your monthly income somewhere or another. They will never lose.

It is a nasty world out there...Lets just learn for the sake of our patients and play by the board rules. Because without that, all I see is dollar signs like the song says...

Hi everyone, I too failed naplex...I'm absolutely devastated and I don't know how to pick myself back up....I was an average student in school (gpa 3.3).For me the therapeutics was not bad, but the math I did bad in..I'm not sure what to say but it seems my anxiety got the best of me on exam day!!! I guess I do not know how to do the math. I thought the math would be the easy part of this exam. I mean it wasn't that bad but I knew I couldn't do it when I was getting the wrong answers...It is really frusterating sitting there and plugging in all the numbers and continuing to do the same problem again and again thinking you will get it...I know it is important for us as pharmacists to know math...Though does anybody here have any suggestions for the math? I thought the RxPrep math was kind of easy compared to the real math on naplex. Plus I only got like 20 math questions on naplex, but I think I got a lot of them wrong....I need some serious guidance. If anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated. I feel ashamed and don't want everyone to know because I feel like a loser at this point.....:(

Last edited:
Pharm27. You are entitled to feel like crap for the next week. Let it out, release all that anger and frustration. But never feel like a loser. The only time you will be a looser is when you quit trying. Until then, you are not. After that week, get your stuff together and start all over again. There are ZERO guarantees that we will pass the new test. But we can increase our chances of doing better for the next round.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice PharmerIsMe! This exam is going to be tough sitting for SIX hours is going to be excruciating....Just have to toughen up I guess because we have no other choice...............

Pharm27. You are entitled to feel like crap for the next week. Let it out, release all that anger and frustration. But never feel like a loser. The only time you will be a looser is when you quit trying. Until then, you are not. After that week, get your stuff together and start all over again. There are ZERO guarantees that we will pass the new test. But we can increase our chances of doing better for the next round.

I know what you mean with the Rxprep math, I used the same, and what I got in the test was WAAAAAAAAY harder and different. Friends laughed at me, when I told them that I got destroyed in the math part. They said " how can you get mEq calculations wrong?"...Well, I got ZERO, mEq and like 30 questions about rates that I have never seen before. Lipids, chemo, biologics, compounding, it was ridiculous, simplest question I got was CrCl, and had to use the AdjBW compare weights, and then from there get rate and adjust drips etc...Not even the studentdoctor calculations had those type of questions. Whatever, they threw at you, just make sure you try to figure it out, what went wrong. And then do it in a minute. If you do not do math in a minute, you are dead! in the next test. To get better at math, the only way is to do over and over.

My advice, is this, whatever concept you look, if you can not recall it in ONE minute. Is a concept you do not know, this applies for ALL the material. Review again. Try again. Repeat. I am pretty sure we all know the concepts and if given the time can figure it out the best answer and increase the chances. But on the NAPLEX, they are asking for straight raw memorization and how you can connect the dots fast! fast! fast!...I believe the board is assuming students "have been practicing for 4 years", so they should know whatever they think is appropriate in a minute. There is no enough time to reason out the questions. Is know it or not. So maybe index cards like one million of those, can help you, achieve that level of speed. Just do it. Train like in a marathon. You can not run a marathon if you have not trained for it. Push your brain to the limits. AND TIME YOURSELF. For the first NAPLEX, I never timed myself. I was getting lots of things right, but I was doing it "relaxed"

What I am doing is, I get a set of questions and I do them a question/minute, I do as much as I can. I mark the right or wrong I got, but keep going for two hours straight. Then, the third hour I start doing another hour of calculations as much as I can, again trying to reach 1 question per minute. By the end, my brain is sore, and I got many wrong. Then, I go back and go slowly, and try to figure out, what went wrong or right?...I am surprised how many simple mistakes I make when time is running like flash. Problems that are so simple are easy to do wrong due to time pressure. So pressure yourself, train your brain to do well under pressure. It might be the difference between passing or failing next time. And that is only 3 hours!

Remember the people who write the NAPLEX and the new one, sit at a computer, and can do 10 questions in one day. They will not take 250 questions in 6 hours. Most likely, those are individuals who have practice for 40+ years, and know everything inside out, and they believe, that students, for being young can achieve that level of mastery in a fraction of a time they do it. It is unfair, but who said life is fair?

And, here we go for round two. SIX hours round two. I believe we will be the students who will be getting the hardest NAPLEX version ever to this date. So prepare for the worst.
Thank for the advice. I need to practice under pressure like you're doing. A questions/minute. for 7 hours with 10' break every 2 hours. The new format is 6 hours, so we need to train 7 hours because the pressure on test dates and questions are much harder than the one we practice.

I havent paid for it yet. I dont think we necessarily have to pay for it just yet since no matter when you pay, your att wont be generated until 91 days from your previous test date.

In the same boat! I was wondering about this too. The fee for the new exam in Nov is increasing to 575 but it doesnt have that option yet. It would be so nice to get a date at the end of october so we dont have to deal with the new exam but that doesnt seem likely. My pharmacy managers are ready for me to be licensed already but it's been so embarrassing to admit I have to retake the NAPLEX. The ironic part is I passed CPJE which is supposedly the harder exam! Anyways good luck to those that are still studying- nice to know we're not in it alone.

Here's some info that I was wondering about so maybe it'll help some of you too...

In November 2016, the NAPLEX will increase in length to accommodate more content covering the diversity of clinical cases and medication preparation strategies encountered in pharmacy practice.

Effective November 1, the number of examination items will increase from 185 to 250 and the test time will increase from 4 hours and 15 minutes to 6 hours.

NABP online registration for the new test begins October 24 and the new registration fee will increase from $505 to $575.

If you want to take the current NAPLEX you must:

• Register with NABP
  • Be granted eligibility
  • Receive your ATT
  • Schedule and take the exam by October 22, 2016
    • Note: It is highly recommended that you register by October 3, 2016, to ensure you have time to test by October 22.
If you have an ATT but unable to test on or before October 22, your current ATT will remain active and you may schedule and take the new NAPLEX after November 1, 2016, at no additional cost.

If you have an open registration but have not received an ATT on or before October 22, your current registration will remain active. After receiving your ATT you may schedule and take the new NAPLEX after November 1, 2016, at no additional cost.

Administration of the current NAPLEX through Pearson VUE will be closed from October 24-31, 2016.

I have rxprep and passnaplexnow. The major difference between the two is passnaplexnow leaves out quite a bit of information, which I assume is because it is not relevant to the NAPLEX. For example, it doesn't talk about HCAP or VAP AT ALL! Weird right? They talk about Pneumonia in one slide. Just CAP and Inpatient. Nothing on inpatient ICU vs non ICU. Also, they dont mention which beta-lactam is preferred.

With that said, I prefer passnaplexnow when studying because I dont want to feel overloaded with information and not remember important things.

The thing with this new exam is that we don't have a pre-naplex or something to test ourselves before going in for the exam....to get a feeling or some type of cushion before going in for the second time, as I do not think that the pre-naplex practice test applies anymore....On the pro side maybe the fact that the exam is non-adaptive may be a good thing idk. Also, after Nov 1st they are changing the window when the exam can be retaken to 45 days instead of the 90 days...Anyways, good luck everyone

The thing with this new exam is that we don't have a pre-naplex or something to test ourselves before going in for the exam....to get a feeling or some type of cushion before going in for the second time, as I do not think that the pre-naplex practice test applies anymore....On the pro side maybe the fact that the exam is non-adaptive may be a good thing idk. Also, after Nov 1st they are changing the window when the exam can be retaken to 45 days instead of the 90 days...Anyways, good luck everyone

Hm, I think the pre naplex actually would be more similar in terms of format since pre naplex is non adaptive just like the new naplex. Old naplex was adaptive so pre naplex may not help as much.

They're not changing the content of the exam so there shouldn't be any reason the questions themselves be any harder or easier. I think I mentioned this on this thread or another, I spoke to Rxprep, nabp and kaplan and they all said the same thing, which is, we shouldn't change or need new materials to study from. The only thing we should worry about is the fact that we have to endure 1.5 to 2 hours more of the testing time... depending on how fast you finish.

All in all, if you know your material and studied enough, there shouldn't be a reason why the new exam should scare you. Whether it's adaptive or non-adaptive, it's going to be your knowledge that's going to get you over the hump, not the test format.

They're not changing the content of the exam so there shouldn't be any reason the questions themselves be any harder or easier. I think I mentioned this on this thread or another, I spoke to Rxprep, nabp and kaplan and they all said the same thing, which is, we shouldn't change or need new materials to study from. The only thing we should worry about is the fact that we have to endure 1.5 to 2 hours more of the testing time... depending on how fast you finish.

All in all, if you know your material and studied enough, there shouldn't be a reason why the new exam should scare you. Whether it's adaptive or non-adaptive, it's going to be your knowledge that's going to get you over the hump, not the test format.

Thank you all for sharing so openly, it really touched my heart. I'm studying now too; timed myself on some math questions, and some of them took me 4 min., so
I know I need to do them over and over, and also assess where I'm likely to make the silly mistakes that lose the question. I've done all the RXPrep quizzes (except maybe 12 small chapters) and made notes on them as I took them - used my phone to take the quiz, and make notes on my computer at the same time. Took me FOREVER; I know I'll need to study all the good information that's given in their answer explanations and I wouldn't remember if I didn't makes notes. I thought the explanations were very useful.

The guy who makes the ProntoPass stuff advised me to study 6 months - no working at all, full-time studying, more than 8 hrs a day. He did relent and say maybe I
could do it in 4 months. I've been out of school a looooooong time; I'm licensed up north, but moved to a state that requires re-boarding if you haven't worked 2 of the past
5 years. I had worked 1 year of the past 5 (life situations). So here I am, studying away. I worked a few years in retail, and quite a few in hospital, so it helps things fit
into a schemata....somewhat. So much new though, and the bar has really been raised. I thought the math would be easy for me, always has been; but there wasn't
the speed requirement, when I last took the NAPLEX. We were all scared, of course, and had little clinical information compared to the current curriculum.

I appreciate hearing what people in-the-know have said about the expanded test - that the content won't change. It sure did look to me like their explanation implied
an expansion - I thought the gist of it was "so all the areas the pharmacists are responsible for can be tested". I had read in Kaplan's 2016 book that it is not a content
change, though, so that agrees with what has been shared here.

Anyway - thanks everyone, and sincere best wishes as we put the pedal to the metal.

Thank you all for sharing so openly, it really touched my heart. I'm studying now too; timed myself on some math questions, and some of them took me 4 min., so
I know I need to do them over and over, and also assess where I'm likely to make the silly mistakes that lose the question. I've done all the RXPrep quizzes (except maybe 12 small chapters) and made notes on them as I took them - used my phone to take the quiz, and make notes on my computer at the same time. Took me FOREVER; I know I'll need to study all the good information that's given in their answer explanations and I wouldn't remember if I didn't makes notes. I thought the explanations were very useful.

The guy who makes the ProntoPass stuff advised me to study 6 months - no working at all, full-time studying, more than 8 hrs a day. He did relent and say maybe I
could do it in 4 months. I've been out of school a looooooong time; I'm licensed up north, but moved to a state that requires re-boarding if you haven't worked 2 of the past
5 years. I had worked 1 year of the past 5 (life situations). So here I am, studying away. I worked a few years in retail, and quite a few in hospital, so it helps things fit
into a schemata....somewhat. So much new though, and the bar has really been raised. I thought the math would be easy for me, always has been; but there wasn't
the speed requirement, when I last took the NAPLEX. We were all scared, of course, and had little clinical information compared to the current curriculum.

I appreciate hearing what people in-the-know have said about the expanded test - that the content won't change. It sure did look to me like their explanation implied
an expansion - I thought the gist of it was "so all the areas the pharmacists are responsible for can be tested". I had read in Kaplan's 2016 book that it is not a content

Anyway - thanks everyone, and sincere best wishes as we put the pedal to the metal.

About Math - just wanted to say, I thought RXPrep math was very simple and fast, compared to the SDN 120. For me, its been worthwhile to work through those, and
that's what I'm doing over and over until I can do it fast and accurately. Got a ways to go, but improving....and the explanations in the answers are really thorough. Had to read Ansel just a little bit for one question, but that's all.

6 months? Whoa. That sounds way too excessive. Even 4 months. I suppose if youve been out of school for awhile then it would make sense but longest ive heard anyone spent studying for naplex was 3 months. And thats bc he was working parttime haha if youre motivated and focused, studying constently through the day, you should be able to cover enough to do well.

Granted, I havent take the exam yet so my credential may be in question lol but i am confident that we are all smart enough to pass this bs if we were able to graduate from a pharmacy school.

Hey guys, I'm currently studying for the MPJE....the NJ MPJE to be exact. Did anybody find the RXprep tool helpful for the MPJE? I already bought it and am just wondering...I have also been studying with Dr. Cuties notes, DEA website, NABP on controlled substances, and the 150 questions from pharmacyexam....IDK what else to do for this exam...How was your experience? If anybody doesn't mind sharing....