Failed Naplex with 73

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rx201605

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hi guys, has anyone taken the CPJE in the month of OCTOBER or is going to take it this month?im taking it at the end of the month:depressed:,I would really appreciate any tips about the exam. thank you:)

I'm in the same situation. I failed the NAPLEX with a 65. I have to take the new version later. But I don't know how to better prep for it now. I felt Rxprep was very detailed and even to the point I thought was a bit overwhelming. For the last exam, I made sure I got the calculation and biostat down. Then I read through the Rxprep book once and made notes for each chapter. I spent a lot of time on HIV, onc and especially ID. I did majority of the Qbank and scored like 90%. I also went through some of the online videos (but it expired before I was able to go through all of them).

After the exam, I felt good on calculation and biostat. I believe it was the therapeutic stuff that killed me. Any recommendation on how to study more efficiently so I can do better the next time?
hi .
I am literally in the same shoes as you. same situation. found the maths so easy and missed some therapeutics qsns and thought ist still enought to pass and even finished 45 minutes before the exams. i scored 69. and wasnt sure exactly what happened. Rx prep was also too much for me, i couldnt finish all the chapters. what resource are you using now for your retake?

hi .
I am literally in the same shoes as you. same situation. found the maths so easy and missed some therapeutics qsns and thought ist still enought to pass and even finished 45 minutes before the exams. i scored 69. and wasnt sure exactly what happened. Rx prep was also too much for me, i couldnt finish all the chapters. what resource are you using now for your retake?
I am using Rxprep again. But I am changing my study habit this time. Last time, I just read each chapter and took notes. I did not review the notes until the last two weeks before the exam. This time, I am going through the online video first and taking notes along the way. Then I would take the quiz and make note cards on the questions I missed. The next day before I start a new chapter I would review the notes and a handful of the note cards I made the day before. I feel like I tend to have short term memory issue with the therapeutic portion so hopefully more repetitions would help.

I heard many people passed with PNN... any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am using Rxprep again. But I am changing my study habit this time. Last time, I just read each chapter and took notes. I did not review the notes until the last two weeks before the exam. This time, I am going through the online video first and taking notes along the way. Then I would take the quiz and make note cards on the questions I missed. The next day before I start a new chapter I would review the notes and a handful of the note cards I made the day before. I feel like I tend to have short term memory issue with the therapeutic portion so hopefully more repetitions would help.

yhh i heard that too about PNN but $950 is too much for me to pay for that course :(. Rx prep was already expensive enough

I used Rxprep for the math and bio stats. PNN for clinicals. I scored >120 on NAPLEX. PNN summarizes the information for you into slides and the videos gives you tips to memorize side effects. I think PNN is AWFUL for math and bio stats because their biostats section leaves out too much important information.

I'll give you an example: in the video she would say Lefluuuuuuunomide. Why? Because leflunomide has a loooooong half life! So you can't simply switch them to a different DMARD or get pregnant afterwards. There is a medication that help speed up its elimination from the body. Also, the L in Leflunomide- make it a REAL BIG L because you have to check LFTs!

Things like this sticks in your head, literally you can remember her voice telling you this while you self-study.

I highly rec. PNN if you are failing clinical and are certain it isn the math that you are failing on the test.

Also, how do you know if you actually did well on the math section in NAPLEX if you dont know if you got it right or not? They can trick you by giving you answer choices that sounds right if you forget to convert or whatever. Or the ones where you have to type in the number.

Last edited:

Do you find the online videos helpful? I was just wondering as I am thinking of investing in them.

Do you find the online videos helpful? I was just wondering as I am thinking of investing in them.
Yes and no. In some videos the instructor show demo at the end. It helps me remember the medication better by visually seeing it. This is helpful for the new insulin products. Ocassionally, they have mnemonic for learning the drugs (such as the oncology chapter.) There are more practice questions for each chapter though. One thing I don't like is the instructors tend to read out of the book a lot.

Yes and no. In some videos the instructor show demo at the end. It helps me remember the medication better by visually seeing it. This is helpful for the new insulin products. Ocassionally, they have mnemonic for learning the drugs (such as the oncology chapter.) There are more practice questions for each chapter though. One thing I don't like is the instructors tend to read out of the book a lot.
Thanks for the response! Got my score report on Friday and I got 11 on math & biostats and 11 on therapeutics-total score 68

How do you get a report like this ?
You just call your board in your state and ask for one! They will give to you but they won't tell you what these numbers mean...I actually just wanted to know how much work I needed to do to pass or which part I did bad in math?/therapeutics?. But they really aren't much help. Scores range from 6-18 I believe. I had heard on another SDN board that 11 was needed on each portion to pass, but I think this was when the exam was split into 3 portions because after 2015 the exam changed to 2 portions. Who knows lol....

You just call your board in your state and ask for one! They will give to you but they won't tell you what these numbers mean...I actually just wanted to know how much work I needed to do to pass or which part I did bad in math?/therapeutics?. But they really aren't much help. Scores range from 6-18 I believe. I had heard on another SDN board that 11 was needed on each portion to pass, but I think this was when the exam was split into 3 portions because after 2015 the exam changed to 2 portions. Who knows lol....

Thank you very much for the info, will try to call Board tomorrow!

About Math - just wanted to say, I thought RXPrep math was very simple and fast, compared to the SDN 120. For me, its been worthwhile to work through those, and
that's what I'm doing over and over until I can do it fast and accurately. Got a ways to go, but improving....and the explanations in the answers are really thorough. Had to read Ansel just a little bit for one question, but that's all.
Hello :) i've been trying to do SDN 120 since a lot of people recommended it. Math is my weakness for sure. Do you know if there are any mistakes on the answer key?

PNN 2016 hard copy question Bank book ( with explanation of answers) for sale. Good as new! Direct message me for more information and price.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using SDN mobile