failed nbde part 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avidsmiles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone
So i failed part 1 for the second time now and I feel insanely lost. I really thought I aced the exam and I dont know what I'm doing wrong. I was scoring high on the asda released papers and I knew the decks really well. Should I try to write it again? Will universities even consider my application if i pass? Or should i just focus on the Canadian AFK?
Any advice would be awesome thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know which program you want to apply-to? but if it requires NBDE 1 for admission, you will have to try again. The fact that you mastered the exams means you are getting closer to succeed. What were your scores, are you making progress every time you take the test? If yes, then it is a good sign.
I would recommend you take NBDE 1 again over taking the Canadian test. If NBDE 1 does not work for the third time, you will have to wait for a year in order to apply again anyway, if that ever happens then go take the Canadian test but make sure the program you want accepts Canadian test. In other words, make Canadian test you backup plan.

You are not the only one who fails NBDE more than once, I've seen many people complaining about the same thing, but they made it at the end.

Keep up the good work! and good luck!

I don't know which program you want to apply-to? but if it requires NBDE 1 for admission, you will have to try again. The fact that you mastered the exams means you are getting closer to succeed. What were your scores, are you making progress every time you take the test? If yes, then it is a good sign.
I would recommend you take NBDE 1 again over taking the Canadian test. If NBDE 1 does not work for the third time, you will have to wait for a year in order to apply again anyway, if that ever happens then go take the Canadian test but make sure the program you want accepts Canadian test. In other words, make Canadian test you backup plan.

You are not the only one who fails NBDE more than once, I've seen many people complaining about the same thing, but they made it at the end.

Keep up the good work! and good luck!

Hey sorry I probably should have included that. Im applying to the advanced standing program for international dentists in usa and the equivalent program in Canada(im taking the AFK in august 2016). Orginally i was planning on taking both the canadan and american boards and then apply everywhere lol and hopefully get in somewhere. Have you taken the exam? any pointers? I scored 70 on my first attempt and 73 on my second attempt. I decided i will try to take the exam again, which probably means I wont be able to apply until the next session since alot of the programs prefer if you take part 2. I just really hope I pass this time, Maybe my basics are off, im definitely doing something wrong. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I know how frustrating that is. My recommendation is to start fresh as if this is the first time you take the exam, it takes some training though. Use Decks, re-prints, and use NBDE-1 guide to see the questions distribution per subject which can help you focus on the areas with most questions.
Also, try to join a study group in-person or virtual, people submit study group requests here in the forum or you can also search meetup.com
Worst case scenario, take a class. I don't know where you live but you can subscribe to these videos if you want, \https://dentistry.umkc.edu/Future_Students/NBDEDATPrep.shtml I have not tried them myself but I guess they will help.
Finally, put a schedule and stick to it. No matter what happens, stick to your study schedule.

My guts feeling is you are going to pass the 3rd time, if you check this forum you will find many people had your exact same experience with part 1 and they passed the on the 3rd attempt.

Wish you good luck!

Hey Avidsmiles, I sent you a pm...

If you're still looking for a study partner, let me know! I'm in Oshawa at the moment, heading to Mississauga tomorrow...

if we don't pass in 3rd attempt how many years we can wait to take one more time?