Failed OBGYN clerkship plus Step1: 197. Is path residency still possible? or IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docintraining9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told that I passed my clerkship evaluation (though not by a high margin) but failed both the NBME exam, and the patient simulation exam known as the osce at my school. At my school, there was a new rule that I can only fail one of the 2 exams in order to retake the failed one. Failing both (NBME exam and patient stimulation exam) counts as failing the rotation and requires a retake of that rotation. Truth be told, my dad died during the final days of OBGYN rotation, and that disrupted my studies a lot.

Also, I got a low Step one score of 197, which is about an 85?

I had always wanted to do a residency in pathology, but now worried that there is no way I can make it since my application wont look pretty.

My other love is internal medicine. Though I am not sure that will work out either... I plan to retake my step 2 as soon as possible... like perhaps mid-june or slightly later.

I was wondering whether it is better to keep my sights lower and concentrate all my energy into 4th yr clerkships in IM, or hope for the best and keep on doing path ?

Members don't see this ad.

You need to talk with your faculty advisor (presumably in path or IM). I cannot speak for path, but IM is generally not competitive to match into. Just apply broadly, academic and community programs.

Truth be told, my dad died during the final days of OBGYN rotation, and that disrupted my studies a lot.

I am not a medical student, just a lowly pre-med. But is there any leeway that can be given, a rotation retake, anything, due to these extenuating circumstances?

I am not a medical student, just a lowly pre-med. But is there any leeway that can be given, a rotation retake, anything, due to these extenuating circumstances?

Depends on the school, at our house we have a couple faculty who are kinda like 'guidance counselors' who would be your advocate in a situation like that, but they take clinical rotations pretty seriously and I would think it would be extremely difficult to get them to change a grade once the rotation ends. The other issue is that if you want to retake it, it's going to have to be at the beginning of 4th year if it's going to make it into the dean's letter.

For the OP, path is not that competitive but they look at the 1st two years more than any other field for obvious reasons. I would think the step 1 would be of more concern to them then a misstep in obgyn, but your advisor would be better able to answer those questions.