Failed Ophtho Match - Applying Radiology Next Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MouseChair

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Throughout medical school, I always had an interest in both ophthalmology and radiology. I had a tough time deciding between the two, but because of my years of research within ophtho (before med school and during) I decided to apply ophthalmology this cycle. I was told that I would have a great chance to match and wonderful reviews from IVs, aways, PDs, and residents. I had strong letter writers However, I did not match into ophthalmology.

The match result came in January and has given me a lot of time for self reflection. I have began to think about radiology more, and maybe think that this is my opportunity to revisit this field and apply. I am currently in a radiology rotation and am loving it. I am heavily leaning towards applying to radiology during the next match cycle.

I plan to defer my graduation so I will be applying as a US Senior. My stats are as follows
Step 1: 230s Step 2: ~245 Clinical Grades: 1H, 1HP. Top 20 Medical School.
5 published manuscripts, 1 in interventional radiology (middle author). 1 interventional radiology presentation at a national conference.

I have about 6 months until I need to apply.

What can I do to best position myself for a radiology match? How should I address the failed ophthalmology match, and will how can it/will it affect my chances? What are some reasonable target programs? What should be my game plan? I hope to get involved in radiology research projects- should I do additional clinical electives? Away rotations?

I am hoping for mid level academic or community programs with strong reputations.

Thank you so much. Failing to match was a terrible experience, but I am glad it has given me a fresh perspective on radiology. I hope to be able to match next year. I appreciate all help and guidance!
Alright man/woman I will give this a try. First off are you sure you want to give up on ophthalmology? Did you aim to high when you applied meaning only bascom palmer, Hopkins, Duke or did you interview at lower but good quality programs as well? DR and ophthalmology are similar in competitiveness but I think DR is a little less competitive, IR it's not even close it's way more competitive then both. Personally I feel from what you have told me you could match all three. This is what I would do if I was you.... knuckles popped here we go lol. Alright find out what you want ophthalmology or DR or you apply DR and IR/DR. Find a mentor in that field if you go to a top 20 school then this should not be hard to do, I recommend finding a veteran Someone that when you shadow will let you wet your beak on the procedure and veterans have been around and generally know a lot of people with connections. I was luck with my mentor, he was letting me have the reigns on procedures that would make fellows envy. Also yes, get involved with research hopefully your mentor is involved and can help you with that. Publications are huge, any monkey can make a poster first name pubs really pop on an application. At the very least try to get 2-3 case reports in next 6 months, and be practical it's very unlikely you get a first name pub in journal of vascular and Interventional Radiology for example aim for lower-mid impact factor journals that will be easier to get published. Get involved with organizations, SIR, American college of rads etc, look to see if they have medical student council and try to join if not there other ways to show/prove involvement in these organizations. As far as away rotations go I feel that they can help or hurt you. If you are the type to sit in the corner and be invisible don't do them, I was extremely aggressive on my away rotations, always researched every procedure in Kendarpa for IR, always tried to first assist, always listened when someone was teaching, was respectful to everyone, and tried to help the machine that is a busy IR department, if you can do that do an away. Now here is where it's controversial when you apply to whatever it is you apply DR or ophthalmology I feel you should leave your accomplishment from optho off your application, meaning intreast groups you where apart of research projects in opthomology, people on here are going to say I am crazy for saying this. Ok I'm going to give you a scenario and in this scenario your a DR PD reading an application and in this application are these ophthalmology research projects and ophthalmology Society's you where apart of, and ophthalmology leadership position, oh and by the way I want to do radiology, do you see what I am saying???? Put your Radiology accomplishments in your Radiology application and put your ophthalmology accomplishments in your optho app. In your personal statement don't over do it with bs, give a chronologic order of events of what led you down the path to choose that field. The Dermatolgist applications that say they have been oppossed with skin sense the first time they saw a pimple may get in but come off a little, I'm just going to say it fake! Letters of rec have to truly come from people that want to see you succeed and will take the time to write a great letter for you. People will tell you on the interview trail if your letters are good. Apply to 150 DR spots, or if ophthalmology every program. Lastly if you choose to apply both optho and rads it's a tough game and most people that I know that have done this don't do as well not because programs find out about it but I think it's because it's hard for people to keep there stories strait and it comes out as bad interviews. I'm sorry you did not match! Take everything I just wrote as N=1. Good luck!

Speak to ophthalmology programs why you didn’t match - improve on your deficits - reapply to ophthalmology again! Radiology is not a backup residency - it’s a long and tough residency and if it’s not your ideal choice, don’t go for it! You’re also wasting a spot for some other potential radiology resident who really wants to do this for their career!