failed optometry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hardtimes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i just failed out of my first year of optometry school - does anyone know what the chances of readmittance to another school is? i wanted to try and get into the 5 year program at NOVA. :( this sucks. maybe optometry is too hard for me...i really want to do it though

Members don't see this ad.

i don't know anything about re admittance, but do you mind me asking why you failed your first year and what school you were attending?

was there something you could have done differently to get help--a tutor, study groups, etc?

The 5 yr program at NOVA has the SAME admissions requirements as the 4 yr program (it is not any easier to get in.) Rather it is designed for "non-traditional" students such as married, married with kids, students over 30, students who have had a long hiatus from school. They would NEVER let you in it having failed your first year in optometry school trust me, I have friends in that 5 yr program! You need to get a masters degree in anatomy or some other science based subject and then reapply. At that point you would have proven that your first year in OD school was an anomaly and that you now have the tools to succeed. Good luck and stick with it.

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
the pace was really fast - i was a liberal arts major in college and took a year off which may explain why i couldn't cut it

i just felt like there weren't enough hours in the day

would i have to get a masters in a science course like anatomy/biochem...or could i also do an MPH?

Try to re evaluate your goals and determine whether Optometry is really what you want. Speak to someone in the admissions committe or some type of academic counselor who will guide you in the right direction.
Asking for advice on these posts can either be good or a waste. My advice, don't waste your time getting a master's degree or MPH. What is that really going to do for you?
How many courses did you fail? 2? 3? all of them?
Plus, can't you repeat the first year over? Anyone who fails 1 st year usually has to REPEAT the entire year over. Are you kicked out?

Try to re evaluate your goals and determine whether Optometry is really what you want. Speak to someone in the admissions committe or some type of academic counselor who will guide you in the right direction.
Asking for advice on these posts can either be good or a waste. My advice, don't waste your time getting a master's degree or MPH. What is that really going to do for you?
How many courses did you fail? 2? 3? all of them?
Plus, can't you repeat the first year over? Anyone who fails 1 st year usually has to REPEAT the entire year over. Are you kicked out?

That's what I had to do with first year med school. Just looked at our academic policies, seems that 1 or more F's can be grounds for dismissal. Guess there's a difference between not hitting the required GPA and actually failing stuff. Could also depend on what class. Our neuro course, which is only 4 hours, can be made up during the summer. But, that's just the 1 class that lots of people tend to fail. I'm not sure we're allowed to do that for things like phys or anatomy.

the pace was really fast - i was a liberal arts major in college and took a year off which may explain why i couldn't cut it

i just felt like there weren't enough hours in the day

would i have to get a masters in a science course like anatomy/biochem...or could i also do an MPH?

While you may be disappointed in what happened, there really is no shame in "failing out" provided that you gave it your best shot. If you did, then I would probably move on and consider other options.

Sometimes marriages don't work out.
Sometimes jobs don't work out.
Sometimes friendships don't work out.
Sometimes schooling doesn't work out.

Sometimes, it's just not meant to be and there isn't any shame in realizing that, admitting it, and being proud that you gave it your best shot.

What would you have done with yourself had you not be admitted to optometry school?

thanks 'optometrist'...i did give it my best shot - the stress was getting to me...i like to think i could have done it if i had studied differently, or harder...but i did try

i do feel like getting a masters would be a waste of time

i've always wanted to be a teacher, i think i might start studying for my GREs - i think national louis, which is close to where i live requires them

i was also thinking about applying to NOVA - the five year program just to give it a shot and seeing what happens

i really feel like if the pace were slower, i could have done it - i'm great at the analytical part of being a doctor, but it's the whole memorizing all the science stuff that's the hard part

thanks 'optometrist'...i did give it my best shot - the stress was getting to me...i like to think i could have done it if i had studied differently, or harder...but i did try

i do feel like getting a masters would be a waste of time

i've always wanted to be a teacher, i think i might start studying for my GREs - i think national louis, which is close to where i live requires them

i was also thinking about applying to NOVA - the five year program just to give it a shot and seeing what happens

i really feel like if the pace were slower, i could have done it - i'm great at the analytical part of being a doctor, but it's the whole memorizing all the science stuff that's the hard part

i went to illinois college of optometry and didn't pass 4 classes the last quarter :( i had been passing all my others though, the advisor said not passing 2 classes was the most she'd ever seen on people who were allowed to repeat

The 5 yr program at NOVA has the SAME admissions requirements as the 4 yr program (it is not any easier to get in.) Rather it is designed for "non-traditional" students such as married, married with kids, students over 30, students who have had a long hiatus from school. They would NEVER let you in it having failed your first year in optometry school trust me, I have friends in that 5 yr program! You need to get a masters degree in anatomy or some other science based subject and then reapply. At that point you would have proven that your first year in OD school was an anomaly and that you now have the tools to succeed. Good luck and stick with it.

:)

I don't believe this is true at all. A non-trad student at nova is defined more by the fact that a student is not prepared to handle the rigors of a four-year program. Only half of the 5-yr track here is defined by the above; the others just didn't have the grades to show they were ready for a four-year program.

I know the faculty well, but I am not going to speak for them. What you need to do is contact the admin here. They are very amenable, and would let you know outright if the circumstances surrounding your previous dismissal would make you an unlikely candidate for the 5-yr program. Personally, I think the fact that you are willing to extend your learning to a 6 year track has its benefits. Clearly you weren't ready, but you know that you need to work harder, and that you have the motivation to succeed. They look highly upon that motivation.

And to what others said. Yes, I think there are some people here who I can't believe are going to be doctors. But that doesn't mean that just because you failed a year that you're not right for this career....stupid people can breeze through and qualified people have been known to fail. Enough of the judging of a few little facts.

And to what others said. Yes, I think there are some people here who I can't believe are going to be doctors. But that doesn't mean that just because you failed a year that you're not right for this career....stupid people can breeze through and qualified people have been known to fail. Enough of the judging of a few little facts.

Let's not head down that road again. "Stupid people" don't breeze through optometry school and "qualified people" don't fail.

Let's not head down that road again. "Stupid people" don't breeze through optometry school and "qualified people" don't fail.

What are you talking about ?

This happens in every discipline, not just optometry.

Members don't see this ad :)
i went to illinois college of optometry and didn't pass 4 classes the last quarter :( i had been passing all my others though, the advisor said not passing 2 classes was the most she'd ever seen on people who were allowed to repeat

One of the members of my family attended the Illinois College of Optometry. They told me that one girl attended all the way to 4th year, and failed out. She couldn't handle seeing patients. However, after failing, she wanted to try again and decided to apply to Puerto Rico Optometry School. They accepted her with open arms, and now she is there. Ask around the school, and you'll find more information. Puerto Rico Optometry is where you want to go if you want to pass easily.

can you back up your info by telling me that PR OD school is easy to pass? where do you get this info from? fact or top of your head?

also, not to start any controversy again, but oculomotor. you seem to speak with such authority and know it all attitude, how can you tell someone to get a Masters which will guarantee them a spot?
You are always the expert on everything. Think before you speak and you will realize your statements might sound ridiculous at times.

Actually Hello 07, I speak with confidence and determination not hubris. Many professional school programs recommend the Masters route as a way to prove yourself academically when you have a questionable past (failing a year of OD school is an example of this). A Masters is NO GUARANTEE of acceptance!!!!!!!!! It just gives you a MUCH BETTER CHANCE...... I know A LOT about that 5-yr OD program at NOVA. I KNOW 100% that you have to qualify the same way as a 4-yr student (if anyone on here disagrees with this they are flat out WRONG) The first 2 yrs of OD School are spread out into 3 and the FINAL 2yrs are IDENTICAL...It is still no walk in the park and I think giving this person overconfidence is also irresponsible (not trying to argue with you swiftiii) I had the option of doing the 5-yr program when I was accepted at NOVA (I had a 3.5 GPA coming in). According to the administration the 5-yr program has had a higher GPA (numeric average) and higher NBEO averages than the traditional program has during the 5-yr program's existance. Not one person has EVER failed out of the 5-yr program. All of this information is TRUE----I read it with my own eyes. We have a pre-optometry prep program called POPS. They will probably let hardtimes enroll in this and as long has he/she completes it with an 80% average then he/she will be GUARANTEED a seat in the next year's entering class. Any classes hardtimes takes in this POPS program that he/she gets a 90% or higher, credit will be given for the class in the first year of OD school.
HARDTIMES----ask the admissions at NOVA about the POPS program!

What are you talking about ?

This happens in every discipline, not just optometry.

If you can "breeze" through optometry school, you are not "stupid". If you fail optometry school, you probably weren't "qualified" in the first place.

That statement swiftii made is in the same vein other bs like "A students have bad people skills", "C students make the best doctors", and all that crap about "passion" and "working hard".

Swiftiii,

Stupid people do not make it through professional school. Qualified people do. What kind of logic is this? How do you determine who is stupid or not? LOL

I love NSU.....:)

thanks for the info about the POPS program. I will definitely inquire about it. i qualified for acceptance in optometry school no problem - above average OATs and 3.5 GPA as well. Just that I'm not used to a rigorous science schedule.

I believe I am qualified and not 'stupid'...in fact, there are different types of intelligence - being able to memorize and recall facts easily will help you get through the basic science years - anlytical skills and applying what you know gets you through the next two in my opinion. it's the basic science ones I sturggle with and which is the case with most people I think.

can you back up your info by telling me that PR OD school is easy to pass? where do you get this info from? fact or top of your head?

Fact: Admissions committees admit students who will be able to pass their curriculum.

http://optonet.inter.edu/pdf/perfil_2005_I.pdf

AVG OAT: 275
AVG GPA: 3.00

Fact: Students who have been kicked out of other optometry schools are able to re-attend optometry school from where they left off (via going to IAUPR). Call the admissions committee if you are in doubt.

thanks for the info about the POPS program. I will definitely inquire about it. i qualified for acceptance in optometry school no problem - above average OATs and 3.5 GPA as well. Just that I'm not used to a rigorous science schedule.

I believe I am qualified and not 'stupid'...in fact, there are different types of intelligence - being able to memorize and recall facts easily will help you get through the basic science years - anlytical skills and applying what you know gets you through the next two in my opinion. it's the basic science ones I sturggle with and which is the case with most people I think.

Attend IAUPR. It is easier to pass, and less stress. Also, more beautiful women are at the beaches. The only downside is that after you pass and obtain your OD degree, you may have trouble passing NBEO. But that is another story.

If you can "breeze" through optometry school, you are not "stupid". If you fail optometry school, you probably weren't "qualified" in the first place.

That statement swiftii made is in the same vein other bs like "A students have bad people skills", "C students make the best doctors", and all that crap about "passion" and "working hard".

This is the only one I am going to bother to correct for. When I said breeze through, what I meant was they don't make themselves noticed. The do what they can to just get by and are the reason there is a saying that C=OD.

And by stupid, I meant lack of common sense. Would you want to put your health in everyone of your classmates hands? I certainly wouldn't, and I know others here who wouldn't.

My voice isn't always the most popular, but people like to complain so if those out there want to take this avenue, so be it. I am quite comfortable with the statements I've made. I cannot help what people choose to read into something.

One of the members of my family attended the Illinois College of Optometry. They told me that one girl attended all the way to 4th year, and failed out. She couldn't handle seeing patients. However, after failing, she wanted to try again and decided to apply to Puerto Rico Optometry School. They accepted her with open arms, and now she is there. Ask around the school, and you'll find more information. Puerto Rico Optometry is where you want to go if you want to pass easily.

What do you mean by not handling patients ?

Was she unable to apply what she had learned or what?

I think people assume that schools with lower standards are somewhat easier. For instance, the accepted students of PUCO have the lowest gpa and oat score relative to the other optometry schools.

A stupid person can finish optometry school or any other graduate school, I belive.

So, a person who finished there Liberal Arts degree with a 4.0 GPA, who then failed optotmetry school is not qualified ?

But yea, I am in slight agreement with those bs statments you have quoted.

Dammit...I now wish I had read other peoples posts before replying.

What do you mean by not handling patients ?

Was she unable to apply what she had learned or what?

That girl was unable to handle seeing patients because she was unable to put her book smarts into action. She didn't know how to handle a patient with complaints. From what I heard, she was a very very smart girl with a decent GPA, but poor clinically.

I think people assume that schools with lower standards are somewhat easier. For instance, the accepted students of PUCO have the lowest gpa and oat score relative to the other optometry schools.

FYI RE: abbreviations

PUCO = Pacific University College of Optometry
IAUPR = Inter American University (Puerto Rico)

FWIW.

Have you ever gone through any grad school to make such a statement?

Nope...I don't think its hard to make such a statement without having gone through grad school.

As I see it, grad school is pretty much like college/uni, but a bit more difficult. It really only takes further persistence and dedication which even the mediocre minds can accomplish. Its doable.

That girl was unable to handle seeing patients because she was unable to put her book smarts into action. She didn't know how to handle a patient with complaints. From what I heard, she was a very very smart girl with a decent GPA, but poor clinically.

Wow....so eyestrain was wrong indeed.

See, I wouldn't go that far. You can be "qualified" for admission and still fail out. Sometimes things in life just don't work out.

I don't see why so many people have such a hard time admitting that, or accepting it. Everyone seems to have this notion that if you just "try really hard" and "think positively" and have "passion" that you can do anything you want.

The reality of just about everything is life is quite the opposite. All of those attributes are certainly positive and everyone should pursue them but sometimes, all the hard work, positive thinking, and passion is simply not enough. And there is ABSOLUTELY NO SHAME IN THAT and there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH ADMITTING THAT TO YOURSELF AND MOVING ON!

I certainly don't know the OP and can't comment too much on their situation other than to say that they have posted that they failed out, and that they tried very hard. Nothing wrong with that. They pointed out that they weren't good at memorizing material. Well, that's ok. Some people aren't. Unfortunately, that's a skill you kinda sorta need to be an OD, and if you don't have it, you move on. No shame.

I wanted to be a pro hockey player growing up. I was a good hockey player in all aspects of the game except for one.....I wasn't a very good skater. Well, that's kinda important. So I gave it the ol' college try, didn't make it and gladly pursued something else.

Never discount that option.

As I see it, grad school is pretty much like college/uni, but a bit more difficult. It really only takes further persistence and dedication which even the mediocre minds can accomplish. Its doable.

That's incorrect. Many undergrads who have minimal experience with research and the scientific process apply for a Master's and are shocked when they discover how hard it is.

Grad school (at least in the sciences) is much, much more demanding than undergrad. In grad school you have to complete an original research project, with the expectation that you will also write at least 1 paper published in a scientific journal. If you've ever read a journal paper you know that's not an easy task. So it's not "doable" with persistance alone - you need to be able to design an original project, analyze your data and come to the correct conclusions about it. Not everyone has an apititude for this.

That's incorrect. Many undergrads who have minimal experience with research and the scientific process apply for a Master's and are shocked when they discover how hard it is.

Grad school (at least in the sciences) is much, much more demanding than undergrad. In grad school you have to complete an original research project, with the expectation that you will also write at least 1 paper published in a scientific journal. If you've ever read a journal paper you know that's not an easy task. So it's not "doable" with persistance alone - you need to be able to design an original project, analyze your data and come to the correct conclusions about it. Not everyone has an apititude for this.

To tell you the truth, this does seem fun.

So, hardtimes, have you taken any actions yet ? Please update us.

Fact: Admissions committees admit students who will be able to pass their curriculum.

http://optonet.inter.edu/pdf/perfil_2005_I.pdf

AVG OAT: 275
AVG GPA: 3.00

Fact: Students who have been kicked out of other optometry schools are able to re-attend optometry school from where they left off (via going to IAUPR). Call the admissions committee if you are in doubt.

Hrm, the average IAUPR student scored less than the 50th percentile on the OAT... not good:(

I feel like there is a lot of negativity here. Your probably feeling a lot of disappointment...don't know where to go from here, yada yada. Well, I always look to the brighter side of what you have learned from this experience and what options you have now. Weigh all your options and decide what is best for you. If your heart is set on optometry then just persevere. It sounds like you may just need to learn how to study. I know that I went through a tough patch in my undergrad studies when I was taking many science courses at once... I really tried so many different ways to study and was only making subpar grades while others just seemed to study the same way and make great grades. Everyone does it differently. Maybe you never had the chance to go through these ordeals to test the waters. Are you sure you just didn't have stressful times in your personal life? Not trying to be nosy but this can cause you to lose complete focus and not retain ANYTHING. Build a support group of close loved ones around you... the ones that will support you that is.

I believe that if you really want to do it, there is a way...it may be hard but there is a way. I agree, your best bet is to ask the advisers and teachers from your school what it would take to make it back into that school or others and express your determination and circumstances why you think you didn't make it. They are going to think that you just didn't give it your all and therefore aren't serious about this field. Now you have to prove yourself. If you want it, you have to just work a little harder at it. From my experiences the harder work always payed off and in the end made me feel proud of what I had to overcome.

Hrm, the average IAUPR student scored less than the 50th percentile on the OAT... not good:(

One of my good buddies read how low the OAT scores were and said "some mother-fu**ers are always trying to ice-skate uphill!" I found that hilarious. He was saying that some people who are unable to handle the curriculum at a tougher school will keep trying to ice-skate uphill even though they may never pass their state boards. :laugh:

I believe that undergrad requirements aren't strict enough to handle professioanl school. I think they should require more science. Even though you get a good GPA in liberal arts doesn't prepare you in anyway to handle all the science required once you get into professional school. I was a bioloy major, with an average to slightly above average GPA, but am doing great in optometry school. I also did get a masters degree in biology. Then, I was very prepared. A master's degree wasn't a piece of cake, but now I am thankful the route I took. I agree, talk to your school, they really do want you to succeed. Ask them what it will take to prove to them you can handle optometry school for the second time around. It's not a matter of getting in that's important, but staying in, too. I really wish you the best.

I understand that optometry school is MUCH more difficult than undergrad, but don't discount the hard work that it takes to get through a biology major in undergrad. I received great training in research, was told that I completed a cutting-edge original research project by my mentor, and had my abstract published in a scientific journal. I can't understand how any bio majors can get through undergrad without being very familiar with journal articles. Maybe my school is different?

Please don't misunderstand me. Biology is difficult in undergrad, I know, I was one. There is no comparison to undergrad and a master degree in biology. At least, it was for me. I didn't realize how hard biology was until I received my master's degree. That is what prepared me for optometry school. Don't get me wrong, undergrad had a big role, also. If you can get through a science master's program, it gives you a better preparation for professional school. I am amazed at the students that do well without all the science background. Hats off to them!!! I am thankful I choose a biology degree. That's what worked for me. Everyone is different.

Yea - I'd avoid going to PR for optometry school at all costs - no offense, but if it had to come to that, I think i'd just settle for becoming an excellent teacher

What was it about Pacific University in Oregon...also easy to get into?

I called Admissions at NOVA to ask about the extended program - had to leave a msg - tomorrow's another day though..

thanks for all ur help - pray for me! :)

Yea - I'd avoid going to PR for optometry school at all costs - no offense, but if it had to come to that, I think i'd just settle for becoming an excellent teacher

I remember reading a comment from a kid from Puerto Rico optometry school, where he said that the students from Puerto Rico were not only equivalent to the other optometry schools in the US, but that they were in fact better. :laugh: That really made me laugh! Although, do not get me wrong, Puerto Rico optometry has the benefits of very fine women. If you've ever been with a Puerto Rican woman, you'll know what I mean! :thumbup:

While I don't really know much about PR other than what I've seen here, I will say that the students I've run across at meetings and such do seem pretty sharp. They don't strike me as second-rate--at least based just on first impression.

While I don't really know much about PR other than what I've seen here, I will say that the students I've run across at meetings and such do seem pretty sharp. They don't strike me as second-rate--at least based just on first impression.

The students you've seen at meetings are usually the over-achievers. Only the over-achievers and confident students would speak up or make an impression in a group setting. In any class, you'll always find the top 1-3 percent that will be better or significantly better than the rest.