Failed OSCE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohiostate1ncaa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently failed my OSCE. I am in my P3 year and have gotten a 4.0 the past two semesters with a cumulative GPA of 3.65. Knowing the information is not the problem, apparently they don't approve of how I go about advising what medication changes to make. They already are offering a remediation but I'm still concerned. This is a half credit course, if for some reason I fail the remediation, would they really set me back a year? I could understand if this was a student who had just been scraping by school but I've excelled throughout pharmacy school. The dean said a student has never been held back because of a failed OSCE but that is until they do as far as I'm concerned. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

What's an OSCE? Sounds like some school-specific acronym.

Ohio State Continuing Education???

Like everywhere in medicine/healthcare: WHEN you fail - recognize your deficiencies, fix your mistakes, take the test again and pass

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What did they not approve of? Content? Delivery?

AFAIK, OSCE grading involves a checklist. Hit most of the major points, don't do anything fancy or offend the standardized patient, and you should be fine.

What did they not approve of? Content? Delivery?

AFAIK, OSCE grading involves a checklist. Hit most of the major points, don't do anything fancy or offend the standardized patient, and you should be fine.
unfortunately we do not get our rubric back. However, I know the adjustments I made were correct after speaking with fellow classmates so I can only assume it was the delivery that I did not pass.

not sure what OSCE stand for... but if you failed because “they didn’t like the way you were changing medications”, then it probably means you got too cocky based on your GPA. You thought you knew more than you actually do and tried to get “smart”. Just make normal recommendations and you’ll be fine.

I recently failed my OSCE. I am in my P3 year and have gotten a 4.0 the past two semesters with a cumulative GPA of 3.65. Knowing the information is not the problem, apparently they don't approve of how I go about advising what medication changes to make. They already are offering a remediation but I'm still concerned. This is a half credit course, if for some reason I fail the remediation, would they really set me back a year? I could understand if this was a student who had just been scraping by school but I've excelled throughout pharmacy school. The dean said a student has never been held back because of a failed OSCE but that is until they do as far as I'm concerned. Thoughts?
That GPA and you failed the OSCE?

Sounds like there's a professor that wants you gone

Reactions: 1 users
unfortunately we do not get our rubric back. However, I know the adjustments I made were correct after speaking with fellow classmates so I can only assume it was the delivery that I did not pass.

That's not the way OSCE is supposed to work if you fail if that was your Communication module. I'd honestly ask to get it considering what possibly could they ask you to work on if you don't know? Also, you are not supposed to be failed on "delivery" alone (meaning if the clinical content and the questioning are correct, then it can count against your score but cannot be solely the reason you failed unless you were dilatory about coming to an actionable conclusion and went into irrelevant territory). Are you sure that you did not fail one of the other parts of the practical, because most fail on the sterile.

OSCEs at my school were the same way- No feedback back, just a pass or fail. PM me and I can see what I have to help you.