Failed SMP, now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jane_d.o.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have decided to face my reality and seek honest, constructive feedback.

Undergrad cGPA= 3.38
Undergrad sGPA= 3.22
MCAT Test 1= 22
MCAT Test 2= 22
MCAT Test 3= 19

The second and third attempts were terrible, I know. Due to outside pressure, I rushed to re-take before I was ready (big mistake).

I am a military veteran and have tons of shadowing exposure in different specialties, as well as extensive volunteering hours (clinical and non-clinical).

My first application cycle was Summer 2014. I applied to most DO schools and got one interview, but no acceptance.

Then, my pre-med advisor recommended an SMP with direct linkage. I applied to an SMP and was accepted. Unfortunately, I did not do so great and ended up with a 2.7 cGPA and no master’s degree. I have felt like a complete failure ever since. After giving myself some time, I have taken a closer look to figure out where I went wrong. I have found a study method that works well for me and made personal changes. I feel like I've improved as a person and student, and my increasing practice test scores reflect it.

I’ve now been working as a Scribe in a fairly busy ER for a year. I have been studying hard for my upcoming MCAT in June and my practice test average is a 502 (aiming for at least 510). Also, I have two professors that know me well from my SMP that have written recommendation letters for me.

With a failed SMP, I almost feel like there is no hope for DO admission, but part of me wants to believe there is. After some research, I’m also considering applying to Podiatry schools this year if my MCAT turns out well.

Is there any hope? Or have I put the last nail in my DO coffin?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think the best thing to do is get your 510 so you have something to show off, then talk to the admissions office at your SMP. They usually have a better idea than anyone about whether or not you have a chance.

Let us know what your actual MCAT is in July and we can give you more accurate advice as to which schools you could apply to.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I greatly appreciate your service to our country, but it is clear that you would not survive a med school curriculum.

So now it's time for Plan B.
Hello all,

Undergrad cGPA= 3.38
Undergrad sGPA= 3.22
MCAT Test 1= 22
MCAT Test 2= 22
MCAT Test 3= 19

The second and third attempts were terrible, I know. Due to outside pressure, I rushed to re-take before I was ready (big mistake).

I am a military veteran and have tons of shadowing exposure in different specialties, as well as extensive volunteering hours (clinical and non-clinical).

My first application cycle was Summer 2014. I applied to most DO schools and got one interview, but no acceptance.

Then, my pre-med advisor recommended an SMP with direct linkage. I applied to an SMP and was accepted. Unfortunately, I did not do so great and ended up with a 2.7 cGPA and no master’s degree. I have felt like a complete failure ever since. After giving myself some time, I have taken a closer look to figure out where I went wrong. I have found a study method that works well for me and made personal changes. I feel like I've improved as a person and student, and my increasing practice test scores reflect it.

I’ve now been working as a Scribe in a fairly busy ER for a year. I have been studying hard for my upcoming MCAT in June and my practice test average is a 502 (aiming for at least 510). Also, I have two professors that know me well from my SMP that have written recommendation letters for me.

With a failed SMP, I almost feel like there is no hope for DO admission, but part of me wants to believe there is. After some research, I’m also considering applying to Podiatry schools this year if my MCAT turns out well.

Thanks

I think you should recognize that these are indicators you would have great difficulty in medical school. GPA and MCAT are factors generally viewed first by adcoms because they reflect the presence or absence of aptitude and behaviors prerequisite for not only getting through school, but standardized board exams. I know firsthand of the drive to pursue medicine, but you haven't demonstrated readiness to yourself yet.

I agree with Goro. You have too many strikes against you. 3 bad Mcat scores and a sub 3.0 in an SMP (nail in the coffin). However, with that said, I would still encourage you to not give up if medicine is your dream. I would try to distance yourself from the medical school path for a couple of years.

Bruh that's just too many strikes against you. Even with a 515 no med school would touch you unless you wanted to go Caribbean.

I have seen many students who had near-perfect grades and MCAT scores in college still struggle academically in medical school. Even if you could get in, you would be setting yourself up for a very long slog ahead with no guarantee you'll be successful at the end of it. The good news is that there is no shortage of wonderful careers in healthcare other than being a physician. I'm glad that you're thinking of podiatry. I would urge you to open your mind to other possibilities like RN/NP, PT etc. as well.

OP, the only way you are ever gonna be a physician is through a podiatry program. Your MCAT is in striking distance (although the downward trend is not good) and your undergrad GPA is fine for pod programs. If you can take ownership of the SMP, you might get into one of the larger schools.

OP, I agree with the others that you should pursue other options besides medical school. Unfortunately, you have demonstrated repeatedly that you are not academically prepared to study medicine, both with your low grades and your multiple low MCAT scores. For you to continue to pursue medical school would likely be an expensive, time-consuming, and ultimately failed endeavor.

As others have pointed out, that does not mean that you cannot have a fulfilling and meaningful alternative career in health care. You are not "a complete failure," but you are definitely trying to force the square peg into a round hole where it doesn't fit. Podiatry is one alternative, but there are many others. It would help us give you more useful and specific suggestions if you could tell us what some of your interests in the medical field are. I wonder if you might be better served by becoming a paramedic/ER tech or an ER nurse if you enjoy working in the ER, for example.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

Undergrad cGPA= 3.38
Undergrad sGPA= 3.22
MCAT Test 1= 22
MCAT Test 2= 22
MCAT Test 3= 19

Thanks

I think your advisor made a mistake by having you do an SMP when your best MCAT was a 22. An SMP isn't for improving your test-taking skills (although you may improve somewhat). It's for proving that you're already good at it.