Failed Step 1 and aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1158258

For those who failed and did not report, how did you do away rotations?

Members don't see this ad.

I assume you took comlex 1 and passed it…

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't apply to programs that require a passing step 1

Reactions: 1 user
yes. I ask this because there are apps that ask whether you took step/dates

If you are asking if it’s okay to lie about taking step one then you aren’t going to get any support in that.

If you apply you tell the truth and accept it’s a high likelihood they won’t take you and move on.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't apply to programs that require a passing step 1
I am aware of this, however, there are programs where it is optional to place step scores for aways. My question is for someone who is only applying with COMLEX/has a failed step 1, is this ok to do?

I am aware of this, however, there are programs where it is optional to place step scores for aways. My question is for someone who is only applying with COMLEX/has a failed step 1, is this ok to do?
Answer the question as posed truthfully. If it is phrased "USMLE Step 1: Pass/Fail/Not applicable," then you should put "Fail" because that is what you got. If it is phrased "Optional: USMLE Step 1: Pass/Fail," then you should not respond.

Obviously, there are people who respond to the first phrasing with "not applicable" because they are planning to not report USMLE step 1 on ERAS. I do not find that to be a truthful response, but there is also likely no way that you would get caught. Ultimately you have to decide what is right for your conscience.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
If you won't disclose it during your residency application, don't disclose it during your away. This is not the priest where you go to confession

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Why bother applying to aways that ask about usmle in a non optional way. These are the same programs that will probably filter by the test

Reactions: 1 users
I would email the program coordinator to see if they accept comlex (if you click to the program name on vslo, it will lead you to the program info which has the program coordinator emails there). Most of academic programs put usmle there, but they do accept comlex too. I used to upload my comlex report to where they asked for usmle and still got those aways. So just an email to them to make sure they’re ok with comlex. Usually if the programs only want usmle, they would put “require usmle” on their notes below.

And if you plan on not revealing your failed step to residency programs, do NOT mention it anywhere on your away apps

And if you plan on not revealing your failed step to residency programs, do NOT mention it anywhere on your away apps
I actually had a weird situation in which I applied to an away with my Step 1 score transcript uploaded (step 1 was required), got accepted to the away rotation and later found out a couple weeks later that I failed Step 2. Did the away rotation but ended up sending only COMLEX scores for my residency application (which they accepted, I guess technically i could've just let them know about the failure). Made nice with all the residents and did pretty well on my audition rotation. Got a good LOR from faculty there. Received an interview and ranked them highly. I will let you know how it goes. Match is next week.

I actually had a weird situation in which I applied to an away with my Step 1 score transcript uploaded (step 1 was required), got accepted to the away rotation and later found out a couple weeks later that I failed Step 2. Did the away rotation but ended up sending only COMLEX scores for my residency application (which they accepted, I guess technically i could've just let them know about the failure). Made nice with all the residents and did pretty well on my audition rotation. Got a good LOR from faculty there. Received an interview and ranked them highly. I will let you know how it goes. Match is next week.
What specialty are you applying? Did they not ask about the absence of your step scores during the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize for making another post about a failed step 1. But I am really in need of assistance for this problem. Failed step 1, passed level 1. No other red flags on my app. My question is that could a pass on step 1 help me in this situation? I am applying for psych. I fear not reporting STEP due to the consequences. Also, licensure in many states requires reporting ALL ATTEMPTS on both exams. If I went the route of not reporting, I would not know how to handle that.

I think reporting Step 1 on ERAS is still optional but if ERAS now asks “have you taken Step 1?” then don’t lie. Not sure though, maybe a new matched person can offer help. Yeah definitely never lie about that stuff on a license application bc then you’re ****ed, bc other state license applications ask “have you ever been denied a license in another state or had one revoked?”

I apologize for making another post about a failed step 1. But I am really in need of assistance for this problem. Failed step 1, passed level 1. No other red flags on my app. My question is that could a pass on step 1 help me in this situation? I am applying for psych. I fear not reporting STEP due to the consequences. Also, licensure in many states requires reporting ALL ATTEMPTS on both exams. If I went the route of not reporting, I would not know how to handle that.
I have merged this with your first thread since it covers the same topic.

Licensure for all states only requires completion of one set of exams.

For your question, reporting Step is still optional for DOs last time I checked.

- Also, sorry, will get back to you concerning other questions privately.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm only a second year but I had no idea that some aways require a pass on step 1! I probably shouldn't be, but I'm surprised that no one has ever mentioned this to me in the never-ending discussion of whether to take level 1 and step 1 now that they're p/f...

I'm only a second year but I had no idea that some aways require a pass on step 1! I probably shouldn't be, but I'm surprised that no one has ever mentioned this to me in the never-ending discussion of whether to take level 1 and step 1 now that they're p/f...
this 2023-2024 match year will be way easier for DOs who put in the effort. By that I mean taking step 1.

My own class.... less than 1/2 took step 1. Less than that passed. There was all this talk of "Step 2 is scored so I'll take that" and "You dont need to take step 1 to take step 2". Well PDs are looking to cull the herd in any way that they can. These people aren't going to have a step 1, and probably a doo-doo step 2 score because they underprepared. Tulane got 9k apps for 3 anesthesia spots. You think they are going through every app for a "holistic review"??....

I would study my rear off and re-take it asap. You should be prepared right now. What are you getting on NBMEs?

this 2023-2024 match year will be way easier for DOs who put in the effort. By that I mean taking step 1.

My own class.... less than 1/2 took step 1. Less than that passed. There was all this talk of "Step 2 is scored so I'll take that" and "You dont need to take step 1 to take step 2". Well PDs are looking to cull the herd in any way that they can. These people aren't going to have a step 1, and probably a doo-doo step 2 score because they underprepared. Tulane got 9k apps for 3 anesthesia spots. You think they are going through every app for a "holistic review"??....

I would study my rear off and re-take it asap. You should be prepared right now. What are you getting on NBMEs?
you think it's worth retaking a failed step?

you think it's worth retaking a failed step?
If that were me, yes I would retake a failed step so I can have that on my record to pull out if asked. Or, you can play it safe and just apply to former AOA programs and not even report step and stay in FM/IM! Both are totally feasible and you will match.

If that were me, yes I would retake a failed step so I can have that on my record to pull out if asked. Or, you can play it safe and just apply to former AOA programs and not even report step and stay in FM/IM! Both are totally feasible and you will match.
Definitely do not want IM or FM. I know many people can get into other fields with COMLEX only.