Failed step 2 cs - affect on fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Obama123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm one of those idiots that took step 2 cs lightly and failed my first attempt(passed easily 2nd time and otherwise have strong board scores). I'm an american MD and am going to a doximity "top 10" radiology residency.

I was wondering, will this blemish affect my chances of getting my fellowship placements of choice. Hoping someone who has more experience can enlighten me.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Did schools know that you failed when they ranked you? Or did you retake, pass, and release the score after. I would think it wouldn't be a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
One of our interventional radiology attendings failed step 2 before starting a urology residency. After two years of urology he decided to switch into radiology. He said that radiology programs asked about his failing step 2 when he was applying, but it wasn't a big deal and he ended up matching at one of the Harvard programs. This was during the time in which radiology was really competitive. He subsequently did an IR fellowship at the same program. Rads really values step 1 performance while kinda ignoring step 2.

Bump if anyone has any more info. Thanks!

One of our interventional radiology attendings failed step 2 before starting a urology residency. After two years of urology he decided to switch into radiology. He said that radiology programs asked about his failing step 2 when he was applying, but it wasn't a big deal and he ended up matching at one of the Harvard programs. This was during the time in which radiology was really competitive. He subsequently did an IR fellowship at the same program. Rads really values step 1 performance while kinda ignoring step 2.

I think the current landscape is much different naijabas. My attending told me he spent 2 weeks studying for the radiology boards.