Failed step 2 cs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ellen88

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I am a 4th year USIMG medical student. I received step 1 score of 215 on first attempt. Step 2 ck score 236 on first attempt and just got my score and failed step 2 cs which I will going to retake. I'd like to know what are my chances for a residency??

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone.
I am a 4th year USIMG medical student. I received step 1 score of 215 on first attempt. Step 2 ck score 236 on first attempt and just got my score and failed step 2 cs which I will going to retake. I'd like to know what are my chances for a residency??

Thank you
Dont know, but it is very easy to fail this test again if you don't better prepare. I would recommend doing Ximedius program. They will make sure you pass it the second time around. PREPARE FOR THE USMLE STEP 2 CS Examination |USMLE Step 2 Prep | Ximedus, Inc

In my opinion, with a low step 1 score and failed step 2 cs, your chances seem pretty bleak... I might give it one go though since you came this far. Presumably you're done with med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you passed step 1 and 2ck but failed cs, the issue is likely communication skills. Your post has some grammatical errors that make me think language is an issue. I think you should address that before retrying. If the grammar error is just a typo and you don't think it's the language that's holding you back, I would suggest you practice doing cases/exams with friends who have passed the test.

If you passed step 1 and 2ck but failed cs, the issue is likely communication skills. Your post has some grammatical errors that make me think language is an issue. I think you should address that before retrying. If the grammar error is just a typo and you don't think it's the language that's holding you back, I would suggest you practice doing cases/exams with friends who have passed the test.
How do you address that a in couple of months?

Listen I know everything about the test including the score. Post your results and I will intepret them. Its not about your communication skills. The test is graded on many things

Listen I know everything about the test including the score. Post your results and I will intepret them. Its not about your communication skills. The test is graded on many things

The test is graded on 3 things. ICE, CIS, and SEP. All you'd be able to tell from a score report is which section overall didn't go well, you would have no idea what components within each section were actually lacking. English proficiency is one thing, communication skill is another.

In my opinion, with a low step 1 score and failed step 2 cs, your chances seem pretty bleak... I might give it one go though since you came this far. Presumably you're done with med school?

I am still in medical school. 4th yr

Hi thanks for the post. Yes I was born in states but was raised in Turkey. So I am a us citizen.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks . I failed the

Thanks. I failed the integrated clinical enounter. It was borderline e

That or just preparation. The biggest mistake you can make in that exam is treating it like you would a normal patient encounter/SOAP note rather than just a test with specific checkboxes that you're scored on.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone.

Thank you

A failed step hurts you. However, I think the chances are better than some posters are suggesting. I don't have data, but I know several IMG/FMGs who failed a step exam and were able to match after applying 1-3 times.

ICE portion is graded on physical exam, differential, and how you support it. Physical exam is actually graded twice. Once how you perform and then how its documented in the note. So anything vital physical exam wise is counted against you twice in ICE. Not doing a good physical exam can basically fail you for that case even if you write a good note. Also with your differential you get a few points by a listing diagnosis but you also get points for supporting it. If you just a list a diagnosis without support, you gets points taken off. Say you list the correct diagnosis and support it, you get the full 30% (hypothetical number). However if you list three differentials, and only the first is right, the other two are wrong or badly supported, you only get 10%. The other diagnosis's count as 10% each and so the 30% gets spread out thin. So only list differentials that are most likely and supported and you can get full 30% since it might be accepted as a alternative diagnosis. Basically listing two or three diagnosises, is kinda like hedging your bet if your primary diagnosis isnt the most likely on the exam. Also, how you support the diagnosis is formulaic. There is a way you are suppose to fill in those date entries lines under the diagnoses. Step 2 cs book has is all wrong. They don't tell you this. The test is very very poorly understood. Probably one of the most if not the most poorly understood exam out there. Its really crazy.

Reactions: 1 users
A failed step hurts you. However, I think the chances are better than some posters are suggesting. I don't have data, but I know several IMG/FMGs who failed a step exam and were able to match after applying 1-3 times.

You don't need to look at IMG/FMGs who have failed a step exam. Plenty of medical students at LCME medical schools in the continental US fail as well. they take it a second time and advance to the next year.

Yes, OP, you are a US citizen and once you pass the Step 2 CS, you can seek residency programs who might be interested in you. They may not located in a region or city of the USA where you were hoping to train, but everything is fleeting. Apply in Montana, North Dakota, New Mexico, Idaho, where ever it takes, and see what happens.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Why did you not match this year? What are you doing this upcoming year?

I am looking into research for this year or volunteer work. I am now doing my electives in NY. I didn't apply this year. I just took CK in December and CS in march. I am applying for 2018 March. I will graduate from Med school in August.

ICE portion is graded on physical exam, differential, and how you support it. Physical exam is actually graded twice. Once how you perform and then how its documented in the note. So anything vital physical exam wise is counted against you twice in ICE. Not doing a good physical exam can basically fail you for that case even if you write a good note. Also with your differential you get a few points by a listing diagnosis but you also get points for supporting it. If you just a list a diagnosis without support, you gets points taken off. Say you list the correct diagnosis and support it, you get the full 30% (hypothetical number). However if you list three differentials, and only the first is right, the other two are wrong or badly supported, you only get 10%. The other diagnosis's count as 10% each and so the 30% gets spread out thin. So only list differentials that are most likely and supported and you can get full 30% since it might be accepted as a alternative diagnosis. Basically listing two or three diagnosises, is kinda like hedging your bet if your primary diagnosis isnt the most likely on the exam. Also, how you support the diagnosis is formulaic. There is a way you are suppose to fill in those date entries lines under the diagnoses. Step 2 cs book has is all wrong. They don't tell you this. The test is very very poorly understood. Probably one of the most if not the most poorly understood exam out there. Its really crazy.

thanks' for the respond. I am not fast in typing, so wasn't able to include all the details and ran out of time for most. plus I was nervous and i think I didn't do the appropriate PEs.

You don't need to look at IMG/FMGs who have failed a step exam. Plenty of medical students at LCME medical schools in the continental US fail as well. they take it a second time and advance to the next year.

Yes, OP, you are a US citizen and once you pass the Step 2 CS, you can seek residency programs who might be interested in you. They may not located in a region or city of the USA where you were hoping to train, but everything is fleeting. Apply in Montana, North Dakota, New Mexico, Idaho, where ever it takes, and see what happens.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.
He's asking about matching chances not political correctness. IMG students are disadvantaged in the match. An IMG failing a step puts them at a huge disadvantage at successfully matching. Why would we look or care about AMG when trying to offer advice to OP?

thanks' for the respond. I am not fast in typing, so wasn't able to include all the details and ran out of time for most. plus I was nervous and i think I didn't do the appropriate PEs.
Practice the first aid encounters on another person even if family member and have them grade you w the first aid grading sheet. Also on the step website is the same format for writing the note, so after your fake encounter write the note and of course time everything.

IMG students are disadvantaged in the match.

it is my understanding that US born IMGs are favored for matching over non-US Citizens who are IMG/FMGs.

For example, someone born in the USA (US Citizen) who attends a school in the Caribbean will be in a better position to match with low Step scores than a person born in X country, lives in the US as a Resident (not Citizenship), and attends a Caribbean school with low Step scores. Hence the reply. However, since I'm not in that situation, I am only repeating what I have heard through the rumor mill.

Either way, OP, give it your best try. Opinions are like buttholes: everyone has one. Don't throw in the towel

Last edited:
it is my understanding that US born IMGs are favored for matching over non-US Citizens who are IMG/FMGs.

For example, someone born in the USA (US Citizen) who attends a school in the Caribbean will be in a better position to match with low Step scores than a person born in X country, lives in the US as a Resident (not Citizenship), and attends a Caribbean school with low Step scores. Hence the reply. However, since I'm not in that situation, I am only repeating what I have heard through the rumor mill.

Either way, OP, give it your best try. Opinions are like buttholes: everyone has one. Don't throw in the towel

All we really know for sure is that an AMG > IMG in competitiveness. There are no official stats out there separating US IMG from other IMG, and honestly I have not heard of anyone along the path talking about the difference between the two... it's negligible

He's asking about matching chances not political correctness. IMG students are disadvantaged in the match. An IMG failing a step puts them at a huge disadvantage at successfully matching. Why would we look or care about AMG when trying to offer advice to OP?

No doubt. IMGs start at a disadvantage and the failed step really hurts. However, I don't think it's as futile as some people make it seem.

Hey there! I read your post and wish to know my chances of passing. I haven't received my result yet, but I've done a lot of mistakes on the test. Should I list them here? And could you please let me know if I have a chance to pass? I have my CK soon and I'm unable to focus on it because of CS thoughts that I have

CS is all about English. All the best.
CS is NOT "just about English" I think it's rhetoric like this that causes people to fail because they underestimate the test because "it's just about speaking English." You have to be good at asking pertinent history questions, remembering what the patient tells you, perform the right PE maneuvers, counsel the patient, and do it under pressure.

Hey there! I read your post and wish to know my chances of passing. I haven't received my result yet, but I've done a lot of mistakes on the test. Should I list them here? And could you please let me know if I have a chance to pass? I have my CK soon and I'm unable to focus on it because of CS thoughts that I have
I'm sure you passed. I made a lot of mistakes and still easily passed.

CS is NOT "just about English" I think it's rhetoric like this that causes people to fail because they underestimate the test because "it's just about speaking English." You have to be good at asking pertinent history questions, remembering what the patient tells you, perform the right PE maneuvers, counsel the patient, and do it under pressure.

I agree that it's about more than English proficiency, strongly disagree that it's about anything remotely clinical. You are ticking boxes with minimal thought if you do this exam right

I agree that it's about more than English proficiency, strongly disagree that it's about anything remotely clinical. You are ticking boxes with minimal thought if you do this exam right
the whole thing is just a $$$ grab for these folks

LOL this guy right here....