Failed Step 2...what to tell interviewers (HELP)

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by butterflies06, Nov 17, 2005.

1. butterflies06

butterflies06 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hello all,

I really need some advice. I'm applying for peds and I just found out that I failed Step 2. I have gone to 3 interviews so far and have 12 more scheduled. I barely passed Step 1, so does anyone have any advice as to what to tell my interviewers when they ask me why I failed?? AND...does failing Step 2 mean that I have no chance of matching?? Will I still match if programs like me? Does this totally ruin my life??. Has anyone failed Step 2 and STILL MATCHED??? Also: when is the best time to re-take the exam? I Really need some encouragement. Thanks.

2. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi,

I think you should talk to your dean or your advisor about this as soon as you can...they will probably be able to inform you best about when to retake and exactly what to tell your upcoming interviewers. Also, if you have hidden your scores from them through ERAS, they will not be able to see your scores until you release them after you pass the retake.

Best of luck!

:luck:

3. Os4prez

Os4prez Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey, relax. Dont worry too much. This aint plastic surgery. So you did bad but you are still an american grad right? you'll get in somewhere for sure. Even if you are not an american grad - if you can speak english - you'll still get in somewhere. For pediatrics - you are lucky because you just need to get into a residency - do well - and then you again have a chance to get into harvard or CHOP for something - u know what i mean? And, correct me if im wrong people but grades arent the biggest thing anyways. of course theyd like you to pass but... just do well on the interviews, and hopefully you have decent letters.
    Let me give my case as a glimmer of hope. I have pretty bad grades. Still got an interview from CHOP and a couple other pretty competitive places. So obviously they dont have a very high cutoff if any at all.
    Anyways good luck to you and everyone else reading this!

4. rsyche

Resident [Any Field]
    You mentioned that you barely passed step 1. Did your programs see your step 1 score before they offered you interviews? If they did...then how much do they really care about the fact that you will have to retake step 2? they probably won't care if they were willing to overlook your step 1 performance in the first place.

Not sure if that logic makes sense, but i hope it makes you feel better.

5. butterflies06

butterflies06 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey thanks you guys for your replies. Rsyche, yes all of the programs were well aware of my Step 1 grade and so far it has not been mentioned on any of my interviews. In fact, today I had an interview and was so ready to give a talk as to why I failed Step 2 and it wasn't even mentioned!! Prez, yes my grades are actually pretty good and I was able to get some pretty strong letters of rec....I excel clinically I just absolutely suck at standardized testing...always have been!! I just hope programs will see through my letters of rec that I am not a dummy. Thanks again for all of your help....anyone else with similar experiences or have done this in the past please share!!

6. ThumbelinaDoc

ThumbelinaDoc New Member

Medical Student
    butterflies06 -

Glad I found this thread! I keep getting questions about my academic performance at my interviews (I've had 3.) And I haven't taken my Step 2 yet. They all want to know when I'm going to take it. (It's soon. I'm studying right now.)

Have you released your scores? Are you comfortable saying, "I will be taking Step 2 on *****," and then dealing with questions regarding "why are you waiting?" or others like it?

7. DOnut

DOnut Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    how do you delete an accidental post????

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. drmg456

drmg456 Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    don't worry , i am an IMG, who has been accepted into Harvard for Fellowship, once you get into Peds residency, with strong backing from program and LOR, you could get anywhere

You are an Ameriacan grad right? US citizen right?

While in the interview, put your best foot forward, keep the positive attitude, I mean inspite of your step 2 score, give the impression that scores are not an indicator of efficiency or intelligence. I too barely passed, 76 and 76,

Get some CME from Medscape too

hope this helps