failed Step 3 by 1 point (189)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baffled86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I changed my profile name to remain confidential but am an active member of SDN and appreciate the responses.

Received my Step 3 score an baffled that failed with score of 189/74, 1 point away from passing. Albeit, I studied less than 2 weeks for the test and found the test difficult, especially the first day, I thought my performance on the second day was not half bad. I studied UWorld at averaged 45-55% right.

I am at the end of my PGY1 year. Both my Step 1 and Step 2 scores were in the 230's and I will be continuing my education in a non-IM field (anesthesiology, pmr, radiology, neurology).

My questions:
1. Is there any point in me contesting my score and having a rescore performed?
2. Will my failure hurt my chances of persuing fellowship or attaining a job in the future? I am at a mid-high tier institution for my residency.

Members don't see this ad.

I changed my profile name to remain confidential but am an active member of SDN and appreciate the responses.

Received my Step 3 score an baffled that failed with score of 189/74, 1 point away from passing. Albeit, I studied less than 2 weeks for the test and found the test difficult, especially the first day, I thought my performance on the second day was not half bad. I studied UWorld at averaged 45-55% right.

I am at the end of my PGY1 year. Both my Step 1 and Step 2 scores were in the 230's and I will be continuing my education in a non-IM field (anesthesiology, pmr, radiology, neurology).

My questions:
2. Will my failure hurt my chances of persuing fellowship or attaining a job in the future? I am at a mid-high tier institution for my residency.

First of all sorry about your misfortune. I have no idea about the answer to your first question. I suspect rescoring rarely makes a difference but that is only a gut feeling.

As long as you retake it and pass, I doubt it will make any difference to future career aspirations.

I would have it restored. You failed by one point as opposed to passing by one point. The worse thing that happens is your score goes down. However, if there was a mistake on a question or two you may actually pass.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought this test was a joke to pass? Is two weeks of studying plus an entire intern year of experience not enough?

My plan to take it with 3 days prep worked fine (Still scheduled to work those 3 days for the record)

Don't let the above posters scare you, this test is a breeze to pass if you have completed an intern year in something that requires medicine. (And are OK with standardized tests)

I suspect the above posters have more to their story they are not sharing. This test has close to a 95-99% first pass rate for US grads.
I

1) Yes get the re-score, its worth the chance. That test would suck to re-take

2) If your in a non-medicine specialty you may require more time. You need to actually brush up on other specialties your not involved in.

Thank you for the responses and I am sorry for my delay in responding. My account did not notify when these posts occurred.

As for "Dude", I think you are right in that a listed "failure" is concerning, possibly a red flag. That being said, I already plan to prepare adequately to where a repeat failure is not a concern.

To "Disinence2", the point of this thread was not to scare or dishearten anyone on this board. For what is worth, I am a US Grad and, no, there is nothing that I am hiding. The fact of the matter is that most people find the test difficult and most people still pass; I on the other hand pulled an unlucky card. That being said, I plan to retake the test. From my google investigation and having spoken to a representative for the USMLE, most people who contest their score fall in the 185-189 range and no one has had a score change (she indicated that she has never witnessed a score change). '

Thank you everyone for the responses.

Has anyone heard of a successful rescore? Has anyone heard of a success rescore on the Step 3?

I've never heard of it. Honestly, as great as it would be, don't set your heart on the idea that your score is magically going to turn into a pass. Just realize you did not adequately prepare for the exam and that you need to approach it differently and pass it the next time.

Thank you for the responses and I am sorry for my delay in responding. My account did not notify when these posts occurred.

As for "Dude", I think you are right in that a listed "failure" is concerning, possibly a red flag. That being said, I already plan to prepare adequately to where a repeat failure is not a concern.

To "Disinence2", the point of this thread was not to scare or dishearten anyone on this board. For what is worth, I am a US Grad and, no, there is nothing that I am hiding. The fact of the matter is that most people find the test difficult and most people still pass; I on the other hand pulled an unlucky card. That being said, I plan to retake the test. From my google investigation and having spoken to a representative for the USMLE, most people who contest their score fall in the 185-189 range and no one has had a score change (she indicated that she has never witnessed a score change). '

Thank you everyone for the responses.

Has anyone heard of a successful rescore? Has anyone heard of a success rescore on the Step 3?

Getting in the bottom 5% of test takers is not an "unlucky card". Its an indication that your medical knowledge is not currently sufficient to safely hold a medical license.

Getting in the bottom 5% of test takers is not an "unlucky card". Its an indication that your medical knowledge is not currently sufficient to safely hold a medical license.

I see your point and while I would generally agree, it seems more likely that his weaknesses were exploited given 230s on both steps 1 and 2. It's unlikely he dropped several standard deviations in knowledge in the span of less than a year.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

How many attendings, in specialties outside of, say, family or internal medicine, would be able to pass step 3, or any of the steps for that matter, without extensive studying? If you would fail a test if you didn't study for more than a week for it (and you're an attending with a license and board certification), it either means your "medical knowledge is not currently sufficient" (unlikely) or the test is a waste of time and money.

The fact is, the steps do not test the adequacy of anyone's medical knowledge, and they aren't intended to. They test your ability to take standardized tests, and they are predictors of how well you will do on your in-service exam as a resident--not how smart of a clinician you are. The absolute worst resident in my program scored in the 240s on all the steps, but he is one of the most incompetent people I've ever met, while one of the brightest residents in our program had to retake step 3.

I myself had to retake step 3 earlier this month, mainly because I didn't leave myself enough time to adequately review pediatrics and OBGYN, diseases I will never have to treat. So who cares if I don't remember the workup?

Agree

How many attendings, in specialties outside of, say, family or internal medicine, would be able to pass step 3, or any of the steps for that matter, without extensive studying? If you would fail a test if you didn't study for more than a week for it (and you're an attending with a license and board certification), it either means your "medical knowledge is not currently sufficient" (unlikely) or the test is a waste of time and money.

Dare I say likely, and not a waste of time. Consider moonlighting in an Urgent Care. See below.

The fact is, the steps do not test the adequacy of anyone's medical knowledge, and they aren't intended to. They test your ability to take standardized tests, and they are predictors of how well you will do on your in-service exam as a resident--not how smart of a clinician you are. The absolute worst resident in my program scored in the 240s on all the steps, but he is one of the most incompetent people I've ever met, while one of the brightest residents in our program had to retake step 3.

They are actually pretty good at both medical knowledge and clinical reasoning. Sure, they are standardized exams and some people are better at them than others, but you have to possess both the medical knowledge and the clinical reasoning skills to get through a vignette and answer the question appropriately. You can get a few by being good a test taking, but only a few.

I myself had to retake step 3 earlier this month, mainly because I didn't leave myself enough time to adequately review pediatrics and OBGYN, diseases I will never have to treat. So who cares if I don't remember the workup?

A medical licence lets you practice whatever medicine you want. I can go into an Urgent care right now and sew someone back up, deliver a baby, or prescribe an ophthalmologic drop to a child. So, if you are going to hold a medical licence, you should know more than whatever limited field you are going in to. You should also know what to look for and prepare consultations appropriately. There is the old joke of the woman with belly pain. Surrounded by Surgery, Medicine, and the ER, the room immediately empties and the woman left on her own....positive UPT, call OB.

You don't have to take it personally, just because you failed. At the time, You did not possess the medical knowledge the governing body that dictates who can practice medicine said you needed to have. The only point the above poster is making is that failing, being multiple standard deviations below the mean, means only that there was insufficient medical knowledge.

Last edited:

No one (except the FSMB) cares you failed. Just study for real next time and get it done. NO ONE cares about your step scores when applying for a job, fully trained with skills, and 4 years later.

You'll probably lose a fellowship interview or two because the PD doesn't like fails. You are non-IM, so you wont have to worry about fighting for that GI or Cards fellowship. This won't ruin your life, just don't fail again.

Agree
You don't have to take it personally, just because you failed. At the time, You did not possess the medical knowledge the governing body that dictates who can practice medicine said you needed to have. The only point the above poster is making is that failing, being multiple standard deviations below the mean, means only that there was insufficient medical knowledge.

I am not taking it personally. I actually just passed Step 3, and am not any smarter or more well equipped with medical knowledge than when I failed previously. Just $750 poorer. Imagine that!

Reactions: 1 user