Failed Step 3--Please help with Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imperfecta

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I studied Crush, did all the USMLEWorld MCQ and CCS, and NBME questions and just received my failing score of 73/181 after studing hard core for a month, depsite being a IM intern. I am absolutely crushed.

The questions on the test were awkward, hard, long, complex with no time to think! Furthermore, I just feel like I was not able to navigate within the CCS software.

Would you kindly offer your suggestions? Should I take a kaplan course, do Kaplan Q book or any other questions banks? Is the 3rd edition of First Aid more helpful? As mentioned repeatedly in the threads, I thought Crush and UW were enough but it just wasn't the case.

Also any suggestions for CCS?

I am totally freaked out.

Members don't see this ad.

How did you do on qbank, usmleworld, and NBME questions?

I wouldn't feel too bad, most likely your exam was 1) high difficulty 2) you were stressed.

All of the USMLE exams are pretty difficult. I would reread crush (I personally have First Aid and don't like it). Get a new source of questions like the kaplan qbank book (850 questions) or NMS Step 3.

I feel sorry about AMGs always they have to pass these tests as IMG I understand we should face tests but not AMGs .s

What? Why shouldn't AMG's take the tests?

If the exams actually test knowledge, and they can't pass - obviously they have some deficiencies.

If the exams do not actually test knowledge, than having IMG's take them is meaningless.

If they can't cut the mustard then adios AMG.

Members don't see this ad :)
do NOT take Kaplan. They will take your money, and teach you absolutely nothing. Their step 3 course is absolutely worthless. They walk you into the wrong direction several times.
Premier Review is much much better and high yield.
USMLE World for mcqs
www.usmlesteps123.com for the ccs portion, alongside first aid for ccs.
You are so close, dont make the critical mistake of trying Kaplan -- you will likely do even worse as there are several mistakes in the course and Qbank.
NBME is a pretty decent predictor (interestingly believe it or not even came across questions on the actual examination that were quite close), above 400 should be ok to pass, obviously the higher the better.
Problem is that its next to impossible to study during residency. Suck it up, and get help with your schedule if you can get it, ass kissing, anything that you can scrounge.

andwhat is somewhat correct. It sounds to me that you didnt master the CCS.

Do USMLEstep123 for CCS... that's the best initial learning way for CCS... then go look for the most common cases in the most recent CCS and make sure you know the general treatment and dx tools for all of them. Make sure you know how to order that on the USMLE cd. You will feel you got it all under control in the CCS after that.

I just feel like I was not able to navigate within the CCS software.

Also any suggestions for CCS?

I am totally freaked out.

I agree with the other poster: You need to practice the CD they give you to become familiar with how the program works, even plugging in absolutely ridiculous responses to see how that is handled. Also the order of placing your orders is important, and the software responds differently depending on when you write a particular order. You will see the subtle differences, but you have to practice till your fingers bleed.

You're very, very close. Just keep pushing.

Good luck!

Nu

i agree with if you have time and some extra cash, TAKE THIS COURSE.

I am an IM resident 3rd year, i failed this test twice, took the course and passed my score was the best of all 3 steps, i'm telling you it's so worth and you will truly learn medicine, the guys that teach the course are very good.

www.premierreview.com

I am an IM resident 3rd year, i failed this test twice, took the course and passed my score was the best of all 3 steps, i'm telling you it's so worth and you will truly learn medicine, the guys that teach the course are very good.

www.premierreview.com

Congrats on the pass! Now you can bury the USMLEs forever!

Do USMLEstep123 for CCS... that's the best initial learning way for CCS... then go look for the most common cases in the most recent CCS and make sure you know the general treatment and dx tools for all of them. Make sure you know how to order that on the USMLE cd. You will feel you got it all under control in the CCS after that.

So USMLEstep123 is better for CCS than USMLE World, then? I went to the USMLE World website and it says "This course does not have software simulation, these are solved text cases. Cases from 1 to 60 are only allowed for printing." So I assume that you will not get comfortable with the software with USMLE World? Could anyone who has used either of these comment on which is better or more true to the actual test format?

www.premierreview.com

Did you take the live review, home study prep, or online course?

Also, do you work for premier review?

"This course does not have software simulation, these are solved text cases. Cases from 1 to 60 are only allowed for printing."

correct. it was kind of a waste of my money only cuz i thought they would be interactive cases i could work with. knowing what i know now, however, there is still a way to make them verey useful. it is theoretically possible to work through the cases on paper. i wasnot able to print them out however, so i'm surprised that's still stated on their website.

i took the live course, and thought extremely helpful, for me i needed a concentrated week long review that would put all the information into my brain at one time in an organized, and i would love to work for them.