Failed twice, need advice urgently

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoniRS

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am an Indian based in texas. I gave my first attempt this year january and got 69. I again attempted in july after rigorous study time table and got 71. I studied from kaplan, dental decks, online question banks. I viewed youtube videos as well to remember and get an understanding of the stuff really well. i am short from 10-15 points in every subject, being lowest in micro/bio. This is a very crucial time for me cz I read in here that third time fail means a wait for one year. Like everyone I am stranded alone wondering where to start.

I am open to every advise and suggestions and I am thankful in advance. Hope someone can really help me in figuring out the solution to my problem.

Members don't see this ad.

You score and score progress tells that you are lacking in knowledge or language. Decide for yourself, but in my opinion it's both
Judging by your resources and results, I think you need to start reading American textbooks and not rely on review materials as a single source for the preparation. Enroll in English courses.
All of that might seem like an overkill, but you would be thankful you did it

Try studying from decks, read it at least twice, read for the stuff related to questions from decks in first aid, make your own shortcuts to remember the tables and charts. Facebook group for nbde preparation is a good source to revise as you get different questions from students. After reading them if you don't know the answer read for the entire topic for that question. This will cover most of your topics. Study smartly, don't try to read everything coz this will cause you to remember nothing. Study for one subject at a time and make timetable for yourself and work accordingly. Don't panic, stay calm and study smart. You can do it. All the best.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You score and score progress tells that you are lacking in knowledge or language. Decide for yourself, but in my opinion it's both
Judging by your resources and results, I think you need to start reading American textbooks and not rely on review materials as a single source for the preparation. Enroll in English courses.
All of that might seem like an overkill, but you would be thankful you did it
hi, I agree with what you said about knowledge but what my "language" has to do with it??? The exam is a MCQ and I am glad that it isn't in spanish. Which "American textbook" would you recommend if you referring so. Just curious but what made you think I need an English course to pass NBDE?? I would have been "thankful" if you would have "helped" not "judged"! Been here more than 2 years and haven't seen anyone say something absurd like this. Highly disappointed.

Try studying from decks, read it at least twice, read for the stuff related to questions from decks in first aid, make your own shortcuts to remember the tables and charts. Facebook group for nbde preparation is a good source to revise as you get different questions from students. After reading them if you don't know the answer read for the entire topic for that question. This will cover most of your topics. Study smartly, don't try to read everything coz this will cause you to remember nothing. Study for one subject at a time and make timetable for yourself and work accordingly. Don't panic, stay calm and study smart. You can do it. All the best.
Hello, I am very happy that you mentioned fb group as one of my friends also suggested this today. Do you know any group in particular or if you could direct me to it if possible!!
My problem is I try to grasp details which leaves me exhausted but I try to develop short notes so I could remember. Thank you for calming me down and helping me out. Thanks for the wishes. (If possible please direct me to fb gps)

hi, I agree with what you said about knowledge but what my "language" has to do with it??? The exam is a MCQ and I am glad that it isn't in spanish. Which "American textbook" would you recommend if you referring so. Just curious but what made you think I need an English course to pass NBDE?? I would have been "thankful" if you would have "helped" not "judged"! Been here more than 2 years and haven't seen anyone say something absurd like this. Highly disappointed.
I am on this forum not for "thankfulness", but to share my knowledge, which is extensive.
You should have stated, that you are looking for a consolation and not a sound advise to pass the boards. I will try to explain one more time why you are incapable to pass the exam after "rigorous study"
Sometimes people have trouble understanding questions and answers, if their English is not at the proper level. That is why I advised to work on the language skills
"American textbooks" means exactly that. Microbiology, Dental Anatomy, Biochemistry - whatever the need. You obviously don't possess enough base knowledge to pass and in need of a more thorough study
Exams are expensive, so it is wise to invest in a study materials in the very beginning rather then fail time after time trying to save
Hope you grasped the meaning this time

Not being a native level speaker can impact performance, it’s fair to acknowledge that

I am on this forum not for "thankfulness", but to share my knowledge, which is extensive.
You should have stated, that you are looking for a consolation and not a sound advise to pass the boards. I will try to explain one more time why you are incapable to pass the exam after "rigorous study"
Sometimes people have trouble understanding questions and answers, if their English is not at the proper level. That is why I advised to work on the language skills
"American textbooks" means exactly that. Microbiology, Dental Anatomy, Biochemistry - whatever the need. You obviously don't possess enough base knowledge to pass and in need of a more thorough study
Exams are expensive, so it is wise to invest in a study materials in the very beginning rather then fail time after time trying to save
Hope you grasped the meaning this time
Sir, my humble request to you, don't give your "extensive" advice freely. I couldn't get 71 if my language was a barrier and at the same time, I will once again "state" that I was looking for a different strategy used by people who succeeded, not an advice which is deflecting me from focusing on my studies. On a humble note, I know you don't have a personal agenda and you are trying to help me with your experiences, but don't go around assuming people are lacking something which you know perfectly well. People don't fail because of ONE reason. I "grasped" it earlier itself. Do not reply if you have to explain more about what you mean as my time is precious. Thank you for your wisdom. Greatly appreciate.

Not being a native level speaker can impact performance, it’s fair to acknowledge that
You cared enough to gang up on me rather answer my question which was the title written in BOLD. You got way more free time bud. On a different note, did you prepare a speech before giving nbde?? Do not waste other person's time just cz u have plenty. Do not reply cz you don't have anything intelligent to offer.

The way you defend yourself shows that your English is not the problem lol...this is a compliment by the way ;)

lol language is so simple on Part I... whether or not English is someone's first language is irrelevant as long as the person knows the terminologies

Also, I sometimes wonder whether ADA has different standards for international folks. I see way more international dentists failing part 1 than US dental students.

You cared enough to gang up on me rather answer my question which was the title written in BOLD. You got way more free time bud. On a different note, did you prepare a speech before giving nbde?? Do not waste other person's time just cz u have plenty. Do not reply cz you don't have anything intelligent to offer.
By all means, carry on

hello same question Do we really need pass toefl exam before NBDE part 1? My first lenguage is Spanish.

Members don't see this ad :)
hello same question Do we really need pass toefl exam before NBDE part 1? My first lenguage is Spanish.
No and it doesn’t matter if your first language is not English. This is international dentist group no ones first language is English. Stop panicking because of some people’s comments here. Some like to make a big deal outta nothing. Don’t bother and start studying. Good luck

Hello,

I am an Indian based in texas. I gave my first attempt this year january and got 69. I again attempted in july after rigorous study time table and got 71. I studied from kaplan, dental decks, online question banks. I viewed youtube videos as well to remember and get an understanding of the stuff really well. i am short from 10-15 points in every subject, being lowest in micro/bio. This is a very crucial time for me cz I read in here that third time fail means a wait for one year. Like everyone I am stranded alone wondering where to start.

I am open to every advise and suggestions and I am thankful in advance. Hope someone can really help me in figuring out the solution to my problem.
Hello, you already took the most important step by reaching out for help. I’m gonna tell you my own experience and I hope it helps. First of all no you didn’t pass just because of English. It’s because of strategy and planning. I took part 1 twice and part 2 twice and I got interviews from 3 schools last cycle and 2 schools this cycle. My friends have attempts and got into schools too. You don’t have to waste your time studying Kaplan ( trust me no one does and I wonder how those who tried to advise you here missed telling you that Kaplan is waste of time) next is revising decks three times atleast and making notes and also do ASDA Question booklets with answers. You can also do DBM app. This is what I did and passed in my second attempts. It’s stressful but you will make it as everyone else did. Just take it easy and don’t be hard on yourself. Who knows how many attempts others took/take to pass the boards!?
Also I know many many students with average English communication skills that are already in the IDP programs, some from India some from Middle East and some from South America. For this reason it’s called INTERNATIONAL DENTIST PROGRAM (IDP), I hope I covered some of your doubts. Feel free to ask more questions if you have any. We are here to help not to discourage each other from achieving our dreams. Good luck

Hello,

Hi Moni
I think you just need to tweak your study style.
I will say stick to dental decks.
For Part 1
For biochemistry- read biochemistry for boards
Solve ASDA papers-J,K, L,M,N
Download Dental Decks Mastery App --Solve the questions everyday
For dental Anatomy - Do the 5 min occlusion video on YouTube and picket fence video
Here are the links-

Read 300 Dental Anatomy Facts
If you need more Anatomy and physiology related video -Watch Najeeb's lectures and Pass the dental boards. But be selective while watching Najeeb's video they are pretty long . Do take notes.
Join FB groups where people are actively posting recent questions and discussions will definitely help in retention.
Exam day tips-
When in the exam center, as soon as you get a sheet to do some rough work, draw occlusion diagrams and picket fence as it will help you breeze through most of the dental anatomy questions.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Memorize first aid word by word and do previous
Released questions and dental borad mastery.. just do that...I passed the exam in one attempt

Reactions: 1 users
TOEFL is just an approximate measure of your level in English. Sometimes poor understanding plays a role and passing TOEFL is not going to help. Improving English does. Keep in mind that you would need good communication skills during interview and later during patient care in school and private practice

Just an advise to everyone reading this thread.
Adcoms are willing to overlook low GPA, poor English and multiple attempts on Boards. By the way they know how many attempts you had.
They NEVER overlook poor attitude

Hi friend,

You are so close to getting a passing score..sometimes it's not just about all of how we prepared and how much effort we have put in preparing.

It's sometimes really is something like "God/Universe has better plans for us".

So first and foremost - don't let your confidence shake. Have faith in yourself. Only you have the power to let yourself down or up. No outsider has it.

For changing the studying style - I would say on top of what you are already doing, solve papers and time box them like a real test. There are series of paper sets and also some softwares such as CrackNBDE which can help big time. Helped me for sure. Also there are resources out there like previously asked questions. I gave exam long time ago but will try to find and share with you. Also decks is a must at least twice or thrice.

You are so close. In retrospect this will seem very small. Much more to life:)

And your English is really great. It's not a barrier at all.

Best wishes. Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have:)

Dear friend,
I wanted to share with you my recent experience. Please and please stay away from negative comments and just believe in yourself and get it! I sum up my post. Hope it will help.
For me pass the dental boards videos was the best after going through decks .That guy is amazing not only for 300 Anatomy facts but also other subjects. Highly recommended. For Dental Decks i used 17 days chart but I was doing every two day, one day of the chart.
Had total 2 and half months of studying but before studying I did lots of research about the materials.
1-Please find the best methodology for yourself to study. I have First Aid could not used it even its a great source and some people love it.
2-Do tons of questions before the exam.
3-Family&friends support. Get some help from them. Please make sure that they understand you are having a challenging exam in your life.
4-Stay positive. Most of the people are passing this exam. Just do your best!
5- Make your own notes. Review them after doing the questions. I have reviewed even the exam day.
6-I used all the breaks during the exam.
7-This is important. During the exam please Read the questions carefully. Even twice. There are so many tricks the way they ask the questions even on subjects that you are confident. Mark down the questions that you are not sure and review them properly.
8-Believe in yourself.

Life is a test. Stay positive! Thats the most important.
Good luck.
1f340.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Some country has been making too many students who are not supposed to be dentists into this career. Already failed twice you should consider changing your goal. Remember, to sugarcoat is posioning you. If you don’t believe, then let’s see whether you would get what you want.

Hi, try to understand and absorb concepts and not only memorize them. It will help you answer questions even if they joggle the words from ASDA. I only used First Aid by Mosby, a little of Decks, a little of ASDA and reviewers from my home school. You can do it! Do not let anyone bring you down :)

And one more thing, use nmemonics (make them as you go on reading). It helps! Plus do the memorization of your notes and nmemonics 1-2weeks before the exam :)