Failed wreb

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anteater831

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Damn, this sucks. Can anyone PM me if u failed it and passed the second time? I wasted so much money to take it. I am out of school too. Just gotta suck it up, pay another 10 G's to take it and hopefully pass.

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for the advice. I was wondering if you still have some backup patients for your previous exams? I just moved from East Coast and can't afford for the patient services... way too expensive.. if you know any patient, please let me know. thanks.

I took the wreb at my own school and spent like 5G for it. Not for patient finding services. I have my own patient, I just paid each $50 for showing up and let me take the exam on them. However, instruments, assistant fees all add up. Everything in SF is pretty damn expensive.
the wreb is an aweful exam, and I mean it. I was an assistant before martriculating dental school. The candidate whom I assisted was a practicing dentist >10yrs in the east coast, a professor at a dental school. Pass the NERB , Florida state board, but failed the WREB. He had no pink slip what soever. I recalled he finished everything early, nothing was late. No extension request, no rejection. In general, I was very confident that he would pass but I was freaking out shocked when he told me that he failed. So, you guys know the wreb is not an easy exam, eventhough they make it sounds like it is easy.

It will be 2 weeks since I took my exam tomorrow, and I still feel very exhausted, very sick. It took a couple of years out of my life. And I mean it. It would be sucked to have to go through the whole experience again.

hey gavin the wreb is the easiest exam right? humbling isnt it!! be careful to judge people b/c u never know how u will b judged, i guess u had a nice taste of humble pie:D

Members don't see this ad :)
hey gavin the wreb is the easiest exam right? humbling isnt it!! be careful to judge people b/c u never know how u will b judged, i guess u had a nice taste of humble pie:D

You guys have to stop misqouting and also come off of YOUR high horses. I think Gavin was giving an honest opinion on the subject, not trying to be a showbaot or anything.

Even if he was being 'prideful' this is no excuse to be a self righteous indignant hypocrite. I am not just speaking about thedentist2005, but everyone who seems to take this forum literally and with too much feeling. ******ed internet arguments.:thumbup:

Hi ,
I am selling all the equipment and materials I bought for the RT and wreb exams.
That includes air compressor, high speed handpieces, light cure, typodonts.
I have the magnetic endo typodont for the wreb, all sextants included ,plus apex putty and some gel (with the mixing tips).
If you are interested email me at [email protected]
thanks!

Hi,

I am selling my Yuratech air compressor at a very good price. Please pm me if anyone is interested.

Thanks.

So, it turns out, the passing rate IS 57%. That is true. Got my scores today and FAILED. I not only received a 5 point deduction for pulp exposure, but I got zero out of six points for my internal form on my amalgam prep. Even on my composite prep and fills, which were ideal, some points were deducted. I am beyond sad. All I know is, I know one of the individuals that does the grading on a personal level, and he SHOULD NOT be a board examiner. He is a horrific person, and if it came down to passing or failing a student, the student would eat it for sure. Which has been proven, if you look at the exam stats. I have decided to take the NERB. My WREB experience was really bad. The worst part of it was, I passed every other section, and still failed. Furthermore, the graders are not consistent. At the Cleveland site, people were breaking off files in teeth and still passing. With the exception of the pinpoint pulp exposure, which happens during dentistry when you have a lesion with more decay than you anticipated, nothing went wrong. My fills were outstanding, should have gotten straight fives on all of the criterion, and still points were deducted. I am impressed with those who managed to pass the examination. They must have managed to do stellar work, better than what the examiners themselves were capable of. At any rate, I have to pick myself up and go on. In the end, only you have the capability to change things. Good luck to the rest of the people who took the exam.
I did take WREB in June of 2007 in Minnesota and failed. I was shocked. Everything seemed as it went well. I did not have any pink slips. I lost points here and there. Overall I came 2.5 points short from passing. I lost few points in every operative section, including placing a rubber dam. I was suprised. I was confindent that my work was pretty good. Anyway, I was waiting for someone from WREB to send me a letter telling me that something "strange" went on during that exam at Minnesota. (I am kidding. I did hope for someone as that ) I assumed many candidates failed due to the fact that most of them were from other countries. Minneapolis is the only place in America where a foreign dentist can practice without finishing American accrediated dental school. Those dentists do need to pass an exam such as WREB. Anyway, I wonder if something fishy was happening during grading due to an overhelming amount of foreign candidates. Does anyway think that I should complain?

Sorry to hear that. I know how you feel, I'm in the same boat.
I did take WREB in June of 2007 in Minnesota and failed. I was shocked. Everything seemed as it went well. I did not have any pink slips. I lost points here and there. Overall I came 2.5 points short from passing. I lost few points in every operative section, including placing a rubber dam. I was suprised. I was confindent that my work was pretty good. Anyway, I was waiting for someone from WREB to send me a letter telling me that something "strange" went on during that exam at Minnesota. (I am kidding. I did hope for someone as that ) I assumed many candidates failed due to the fact that most of them were from other countries. Minneapolis is the only place in America where a foreign dentist can practice without finishing American accrediated dental school. Those dentists do need to pass an exam such as WREB. Anyway, I wonder if something fishy was happening during grading due to an overhelming amount of foreign candidates. Does anyway think that I should complain?

I think we should do so....but can you tell me the way that we can complain against the way they grade us, because it looks like, it was not standardized and unfair, please let me know what are the steps to make that complain...

Just took WREBs in San Antonio. My endo went badly--I almost ran out of time so I couldn't fix the molar which had multiple voids throughout, and was about 2mm short. In addition I couldn't find the ML canal of the mandibular molar (maybe it didn't have one--it was a 3rd).
The anterior was about 1mm short but nicely condensed. All of the clinical procedures went a lot better--but I am just worried about losing lots of points in endo, then a few points here and there to get it below 75. I can live with redoing the endo--but not the whole exam!

took USC aug 07, got pink slip for request mod rejection, and pink slip to correct hyperocclusion. on endo, had sealer passed apex. passed with an 82

Congratulations! For some reason sometimes it seems as though the grading is so varied between testing sites, but it is definitely never easy.

took USC aug 07, got pink slip for request mod rejection, and pink slip to correct hyperocclusion. on endo, had sealer passed apex. passed with an 82

Members don't see this ad :)
Just took WREBs in San Antonio. My endo went badly--I almost ran out of time so I couldn't fix the molar which had multiple voids throughout, and was about 2mm short. In addition I couldn't find the ML canal of the mandibular molar (maybe it didn't have one--it was a 3rd).
The anterior was about 1mm short but nicely condensed. All of the clinical procedures went a lot better--but I am just worried about losing lots of points in endo, then a few points here and there to get it below 75. I can live with redoing the endo--but not the whole exam!

You probably passed. Don't freak out about it now, there's nothing you can do. Many people who seem to feel they didn't do well end up passing, and some who feel they did fairly well, end up failing.

I heard mixed answers about LuLau. Best thing to do is to find/screen your own patients. Some good assistant finds very, very good patients. My assistant found me excellent patient. Board assistant here on SDN is also good. I met him in San Antonio, very calm guy. Why don't you ask him?

Big No for Lu Lau, and Big YES for Board assistant, he is very helpful ,I met him in LA.

I just took the WREB this weekend and one of the examiners told us at orientation they had one school in which only ONE PERSON failed. I found that hard to believe. There were a lot of us who had a difficult time with the exam. So, I guess now comes the waiting game. And this will be the only time I can take the exam while at school. I do not want to take the exam again and have to shell out all that money. I wish everyone the best of luck.

UMKC only had one person fail out of 96.

UMKC only had one person fail out of 96.

True, but somehow she challenged the decision and had it reversed to a passing grade over the summer after we all graduated w/o needing to retake it. That's what I last heard.

True, but somehow she challenged the decision and had it reversed to a passing grade over the summer after we all graduated w/o needing to retake it. That's what I last heard.

Crazy stuff. Seems like the scores are all over the place. We hear of a school having 1 (now nobody?) fail out of 96 candidates, while other schools are having 30-40% fail?

Either the WREB is severely NOT calibrated, or the disparity between educations at varying schools is greater than we can imagine. I guess you have to toss foreign dentists in to the mix also.

My guess is it's an amalgam of multiple reasons, but still.

Good luck to all who took the UCLA Wreb's during March Madness this year!!! Here's some tips on how to make your life a tiny bit easier during your WREB experience.

PRE-TEST:
1) Take impressions of your patient - use polyvinyl siloxane so you can pour up multiple casts, composite pour ups for the teeth your doing.
2) REALLY REALLY REALLY try and get ideal lesions, have multiple backups (screen EVERYONE you know). Class III ant are the easiest, I like mand 1st DO premolar slot preps as well.
3) Mount endo teeth ideally (try and get max 1st premolar for your posterior tooth) - many students spent over 6 hours doing this at UCLA (kept on getting voids, put putty over 1/4 up the root etc...). Of course premeasure the length ahead of the actual test (why would people use apex locators on a manequin?)
4) Buy new instruments. Yes, this will push your budget over the $2g that GavinC allotted, but will ensure you have proper files, gutta percha, operative instruments, and sharp perio instruments when it counts.

DURING-TEST:
1) Be ready to wake up early, make sure you're waking up by 6:30AM so you can settle in mentally, get a good breakfast, and be ready to do your best.
2) Remove all indications that caries exists in your preps, if you leave caries, that's an instant failure. If you suspect caries remains and don't want to extend it anymore, put down you intend to do an indirect pulp cap.
3) Make sure you figure out who the "nice" floor instructors are, and get them to proctor your procedures (when asking for extensions etc.). After I finished, I noticed the instructors switched, and there was a MEAN floor instructor just tearing people up!
4) For perio, people used H2O2 diluted to treat some of the bleeding before they had their patient's sent in for grading.

I think the hardest part is to find the ideal patient and teeth, and have them approved smoothly. I haven't gotten my result back yet, but I'm hoping any help you get from this will return as good karma to me in the near future:D. Go Bruins, UCLA 76 vs UNC 69 in San Antonio!!!!

Hey guys
Im gonna take the WREBs soon. I have a pt who has ideal interproximal lesions to DEJ on her max. pre-molars on the x-rays, no occlusal caries noted. However, clinically, these teeth have a generalized chalky white to them on the whole entire occlusal surface (both cusps). They are only on her pre-molars. They are hard and resistant to explorer. Should i just leave them alone and write in note to examiners that "hypocalcification exists in enamel, not penetrable, will leave"?Please let me know. I dont wanna have to remove enamel on the entire tooth-lol

Good luck to all who took the UCLA Wreb's during March Madness this year!!! Here's some tips on how to make your life a tiny bit easier during your WREB experience.

PRE-TEST:
1) Take impressions of your patient - use polyvinyl siloxane so you can pour up multiple casts, composite pour ups for the teeth your doing.
2) REALLY REALLY REALLY try and get ideal lesions, have multiple backups (screen EVERYONE you know). Class III ant are the easiest, I like mand 1st DO premolar slot preps as well.
3) Mount endo teeth ideally (try and get max 1st premolar for your posterior tooth) - many students spent over 6 hours doing this at UCLA (kept on getting voids, put putty over 1/4 up the root etc...). Of course premeasure the length ahead of the actual test (why would people use apex locators on a manequin?)
4) Buy new instruments. Yes, this will push your budget over the $2g that GavinC allotted, but will ensure you have proper files, gutta percha, operative instruments, and sharp perio instruments when it counts.

DURING-TEST:
1) Be ready to wake up early, make sure you're waking up by 6:30AM so you can settle in mentally, get a good breakfast, and be ready to do your best.
2) Remove all indications that caries exists in your preps, if you leave caries, that's an instant failure. If you suspect caries remains and don't want to extend it anymore, put down you intend to do an indirect pulp cap.
3) Make sure you figure out who the "nice" floor instructors are, and get them to proctor your procedures (when asking for extensions etc.). After I finished, I noticed the instructors switched, and there was a MEAN floor instructor just tearing people up!
4) For perio, people used H2O2 diluted to treat some of the bleeding before they had their patient's sent in for grading.

I think the hardest part is to find the ideal patient and teeth, and have them approved smoothly. I haven't gotten my result back yet, but I'm hoping any help you get from this will return as good karma to me in the near future:D. Go Bruins, UCLA 76 vs UNC 69 in San Antonio!!!!

Great tips, congrats on completing the exam. Let us know how your scores turn out!

Hey guys
Im gonna take the WREBs soon. I have a pt who has ideal interproximal lesions to DEJ on her max. pre-molars on the x-rays, no occlusal caries noted. However, clinically, these teeth have a generalized chalky white to them on the whole entire occlusal surface (both cusps). They are only on her pre-molars. They are hard and resistant to explorer. Should i just leave them alone and write in note to examiners that "hypocalcification exists in enamel, not penetrable, will leave"?Please let me know. I dont wanna have to remove enamel on the entire tooth-lol

Yep, write a comment to the examiners about the the appearance of the teeth when you submit the patient for acceptance. Make sure it comes back with a signature.

Hey guys

From my experience, the floor instructors and grading instructors aren't out to get people, and they are generally reasonable people. It would be better if you mention it than didn't mention it, so make sure you do. If they do want you to remove anything, I think the most they would do is give you a pink slip (-2 points), but that's the worst that can happen and I think if you noted it beforehand, you should be fine. Good luck to you, relax, you'll do fine.

PRE-TEST:

DURING-TEST:

Hello,
Do you have any extra maxillary 1st premolars? I seem to be having hard time trying to find them.
Please email me at [email protected]
Thanks

Has anybody done Class III operatives on the Wreb ? any comment on how did they grade them ?

I am scared got my results , 86 still I failed reason I didn't get enough for PATP 5.63/12 So pls help me to find a practice test for PATP question and How can I find these Key Item,What does it mean Inclusive ,exclusive?

PRE-TEST:

DURING-TEST:

I am scared got my results , 86 still I failed reason I didn't get enough for PATP 5.63/12 So pls help me to find a practice test for PATP question and How can I find these Key Item,What does it mean Inclusive ,exclusive?

Try treatment planning in dentistry -
Product Details

* Paperback: 512 pages
* Publisher: Mosby; 2 edition (August 29, 2006)
* Language: English
* ISBN-10: 032303697X
* ISBN-13: 978-0323036979
it comes with a cd also. This is a textbook not just collection of case histories like in the cd.

good luck.

For the cavitron use in the WREB we can only use it for SUPRAGINGIVAL calculus or also for subgingival? Can you please shine a light it does not say on the manual!

Also for rheumatic fever and heart murmur is is necessary premedication?
I cant seem to find a right answer some sites say yes other no:confused:

I appreciate if you can help me!

For the cavitron use in the WREB we can only use it for SUPRAGINGIVAL calculus or also for subgingival? Can you please shine a light it does not say on the manual!

Also for rheumatic fever and heart murmur is is necessary premedication?
I cant seem to find a right answer some sites say yes other no:confused:

I appreciate if you can help me!

i dont see why you cant use it subgingival.

as for premedicating the AHA came up with the new guideline in 2007 and according to that you dont need to premedicate for R fever. you premedicate if:

1. Prosthetic cardiac valve (implantation)
2. A history of previous infection of the heart - infective endocarditis
3. A history of an unrepaired congenital heart defect
4. Cardiac transplantation recipients who develop cardiac valve disease

Try treatment planning in dentistry -
Product Details

* Paperback: 512 pages
* Publisher: Mosby; 2 edition (August 29, 2006)
* Language: English
* ISBN-10: 032303697X
* ISBN-13: 978-0323036979
it comes with a cd also. This is a textbook not just collection of case histories like in the cd.

good luck.

what happens if you fail the CSW or PATP? do you have to just retake the PATP or CWS or repeat the whole WREB?

ok i am answering my own question and for those who care. i just started reading the candidate guide and it says if you fail 1-2 sections you retake those sections alone. if you fail 3 or more, you must retake the whole WREB.

Do you know how many people take the endo exam in that section and how many xray machines are there?

What about dark room how many are there?

Is there usually a line?

Can you take a cup of fixer and leave it in your table with you during the exam?

Also if you fail prosthodontics do you have to take the WHOLE CSW (PERIO AND PROSTHO)?

Hello,

I have been out of dental school for 5 years and am planning to take the WREB exam. I have already purchased old exams. I just need good notes on Complete denture perhaps in powerpoint form or word document. I would like to purchase the notes asap. Please let me know what kind of notes and the cost for it.

THanks

Has anybody done Class III operatives on the Wreb ? any comment on how did they grade them ?

I did a Cl. II and Cl. III on the same patient on the same arch. Submitted both preps and restorations at the same time. Definitely saved time. I didn't find the grading to be unreasonable. I actually think they grade easier than the competency exams in dental school.

When I look at my WREB pass certificate, I am more proud of that than my dental degree, and trust me Penn is not an easy school. What you do in those 2.5 days will be a cumulation of everything you learned from the womb to the day of the WREB. It changes you mentally, physically, emotionally and humbles you.

I don't care if the passrate is high, it is beast to get through. You will see, a week after you take it, you will ask yourself, 'did I really just get through that?' It's amazing to see what your body can put itself through...

DD

I took the exam last Monday-Wednesday and it was an all right exam. I felt the pressure, definitely, but I don't think I had to use any of the skills I learned while I was a fetus!