failing a class/block

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inchworm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just failed a block in med school (we're on the block system, so it's the same as an independent class). There were extenuating circumstances -- very good ones -- and I opted to try to sit the exam on time because I thought I could make it. And I couldn't.

My dean frightened me quite a bit, and I was wondering if anyone has information, anecdotal or otherwise, on how this affects residency match? She told me I could explain it in my application, and I could work really hard from here on out, etc. But something about her words... she said I could "probably" match in my interest -- which is just OB GYN, so nothing crazy.

Am I totally screwed? Am I going to end up in a bad residency program at the ends of the earth? Can doing well outside of this adn explaining the situation compensate for it, or is this a black mark that will totally bias every residency director ever? Any words of reassurance?

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

So I just failed a block in med school (we're on the block system, so it's the same as an independent class). There were extenuating circumstances -- very good ones -- and I opted to try to sit the exam on time because I thought I could make it. And I couldn't.

My dean frightened me quite a bit, and I was wondering if anyone has information, anecdotal or otherwise, on how this affects residency match? She told me I could explain it in my application, and I could work really hard from here on out, etc. But something about her words... she said I could "probably" match in my interest -- which is just OB GYN, so nothing crazy.

Am I totally screwed? Am I going to end up in a bad residency program at the ends of the earth? Can doing well outside of this adn explaining the situation compensate for it, or is this a black mark that will totally bias every residency director ever? Any words of reassurance?

Thanks...

I can't speak directly to OB/GYN, since I'm in IM, but in general failing one pre-clinical course is not that big of a deal. Pass it the second time (either by retake of the exam or retaking the course, whichever your school requires), and then do well on Step 1 and most programs will not care much. Do poorly on the USMLE, fail more blocks, or get poor clinical evaluations and then you have a problem.

The other thing I would add is that in the future if you have extenuating circumstances in your life, let your school know right away and involve them in your decision on whether to sit the exam on time or not. (If you did do this, I apologize--but it's good advice for other people). It gets the administration on your side in a way that explaining yourself afterwards never will.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks...

You have more medical school in front of you than behind you so do whatever remediation you have to do for this failed block and keep moving forward. You have USMLE Step I to do well on and you have your clinical year to excel in too. You can't go back and start over but you can finish strong so put your emphasis there. There are more than a few folks out there who have failed something, remediated, finished strong and entered good residency programs. Get back on track as soon as possible and keep moving forward.

Sorry for the roadblock friend, but you can certainly recover. Work hard, persever, and keep your chin up!! Good luck!

You know, I think these sorts of situations are interesting from a psychological point of view. The typical med student is type A, high achieving, and very competent. I'd be willing to bet that for a huge number of medical students, that first failure in med school is the first time they've ever failed at ANYTHING that they cared about. I know the first test I flunked in MS was the first one I'd ever failed. Quite the blow to the ego, and a lot of growing up probably happens in that period. Thoughts?

What are you worried about?!? Who cares about one failed class? There are people who have been expelled from medical school for failing numerous classes multiple times, have been reaccepted to other medical schools, failed classes there but managed to scrape by, took Kaplan, did well on Step 1, and matched into internal medicine subspecialties. ANYTHING is possible! As long as it is just grades, and not failures or expulsion for bad behavior or cheating, you will be fine. Just do REALLY well on Step 1, do well in clinicals, and you will redeem yourself :)

Oh yeah and one more thing...WORST case scenario...if you keep on failing numerous times...there are plenty of foreign schools you can go to that do 3rd/4th year in the US...my friend (no names mentioned but she is on SND) just graduated from a Caribbean medical school - and matched into an IVY LEAGUE - so if SHE can do it from a foreign school - why can't you do it from a US one?

Just keep working hard - have faith in yourself - get tutoring - you can and will do it :)

I had a friend who did the same thing. He matched into Washington University in St. Louis. He is now running his own solo practice.

Failing a basic science class (assuming you properly remediate) shouldn't be much of a roadblock towards an OB/GYN residency, as long as you do well the rest of the way.

thanks everyone. i really appreciate the input and the advice.

this is a good question - i had to remediate a year after an unsuccessful attempt at remediating a course over the summer.

i am now onto MS2 but no one will really ever answer my question as to whether i will have problems with matching - i plan on going into pediatrics (subspecializing later)

there are actually 5 ppl in my class in the identical situation d/t a curriculum change .... we are all sweating it out about boards coming up

I think your Step I scores will demonstrate pretty unequivocally whether or not you have mastered the pre-clinical material. As long as you do reasonably well on the boards and can insightfully discuss the reasons for the difficulties you experienced, you'll be ok. Good luck.:luck:

I know the first test I flunked in MS was the first one I'd ever failed. Quite the blow to the ego, and a lot of growing up probably happens in that period. Thoughts?

Not if you were an engineer in college. Or a quantum physics major. Or astrophysics major.

I'm actually surprised at how decent my performance has been so far in med school.