Failing a class!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erimiri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's my senior year and I thought i'd take an "easy" class like Music Theory 100 - it is an online class. However, I don't think that I will pass the class because the material is ridiculously difficult. Plus, the final is next week and I honestly don't think i'll have a shot at passing. My options are:

1. Take the final and fail the class
2. Drop the class with a "P" (which is pass) and drop below 12 hours (i'll be at 11 hours, which means i'll have to pay back scholarship money)

I'm applying to dental school this summer and I don't want this class to be a hinderance on my application. Plus, my GPA is already on the lower side (3.3 cumulative). Advice???

Members don't see this ad.

Coupled with the fact that my mom has been in an out of the hospital the past few weeks and i'm doing over 20 hrs/week of research, the time I could dedicate to the class was slim. No excuses though, I should have put in the work early. But dropping the class is where i'm leaning, but ill be talking to the professor tomorrow to get his advice. Thanks for responding!

Thanks! Do you think me dropping below full-time status would look bad on my application? Or could I possibly explain why I dropped below full time hours in my application?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you feel that you are def going to fail it then drop it and get a P, it is not calculated into your AADSAS GPA as long as it appears as a P on the transcript, it won't count against you.

I don't think it will come up at all. I think a lot of applicants have at least one semester where they are under the "recommended" credit hours. As long as the majority of your coursework is full time + a few you will be good as gold. And if it does come up.. it appears you have a decent explanation so no worries.

Ok, great. Thanks.

Dropping a class = Pass?!?! When I hear things like this, I understand why some schools openly say that they "take the difficulty of the undergrad institution into consideration when reviewing applications."

Everyone has problems and work. The hard part is going to be landing interviews with a 3.3. Dropping a class is not unheard of, just explain yourself and you should be fine.