failing d1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cchoops111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my first semester and not doing well at all. I received 2 b's, but failed dental anatomy, anatomy and biochem by a few only a few points. I was a non-science major and have been struggling with these science classes. Has anyone been in the same situation as I am, and have been able to repeat? I really don't want to be kicked out and hope that there are some options available.

Members don't see this ad.

How the hell did you fail dental anatomy?

Policies will vary by school. I would go talk to the schools administration. Next semester, provided there is one for you, I would probably talk to your faculty before the final grades come out. Typically, dental schools want their students to pass and will help you, provided they are made aware of your situation early enough to be able to intervene.

How did you fail so many courses..? Yeah, policies very drastically by school. At Tufts, if you fail one course, you get to retake an exam in that course (and if that pushes you up to passing, then you pass). If you fail two courses, you might have an opportunity to remediate during the summer (losing your 2-month summer break), but only if the promotions committee has mercy on you. If you fail 3 courses, you must redo the D1 year, paying an extra year of tuition and fees ($87K!); we had 5 kids redo the D1 year and joined our D13 class. Most likely, you will have to redo the D1 year (let's hope your school has that policy), but hey, that's much better than getting kicked out.

If the dental school give you another chance, make sure you make the most of it. Don't fail another course. Keep C's across the board at least. Get a tutor if you have to, and limit whatever social activity is keeping you from getting passing grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in my first semester and not doing well at all. I received 2 b's, but failed dental anatomy, anatomy and biochem by a few only a few points. I was a non-science major and have been struggling with these science classes. Has anyone been in the same situation as I am, and have been able to repeat? I really don't want to be kicked out and hope that there are some options available.

what school is this if u dont mind me asking?

You should talk with your advisor and determine your options. Dental school is challenging and only gets more challenging as you get further along. If repeating the first year is an option, I would take it. gl.

I was sick for a week, bombed the crap out of the tests that week so badly that I wasn't able to get out of the hole I created for myself. I knew i shouldn't have taken the tests that week, but didn't want to miss class. We have no option of retaking a test, so thats a no-go for me. I find out in a few weeks if i'm allowed to continue or not......Hoping for remediation...

I was sick for a week, bombed the crap out of the tests that week so badly that I wasn't able to get out of the hole I created for myself. I knew i shouldn't have taken the tests that week, but didn't want to miss class. We have no option of retaking a test, so thats a no-go for me. I find out in a few weeks if i'm allowed to continue or not......Hoping for remediation...

What were you sick with? If you were able to wake up and go to class. You could obviously still do some semblance of studying. Had you been very sick you easily could have gone to a doctor and gotten a note. Most programs will honor that, in cases of extreme illness. I'm just saying, this is how a committee may look at it. They have a protocol set up for those who become ill during the year.

Hopefully they will let you do remediation! What school?

That's an unfortunate situation. I hope they let you remediate. Best of luck!:luck:

What were you sick with? If you were able to wake up and go to class. You could obviously still do some semblance of studying. Had you been very sick you easily could have gone to a doctor and gotten a note. Most programs will honor that, in cases of extreme illness. I'm just saying, this is how a committee may look at it. They have a protocol set up for those who become ill during the year.

Hopefully they will let you do remediation! What school?

I was acutally a bit concerned about this. Are dental schools compassionate about being ill and are you able to take your exams at a later time? I suffer from migraines and definitely cannot write an exam or study when I'm in that kind of pain. My undergrad institution is pretty understanding about this kind of stuff was just wondering if D-schools are.

I was acutally a bit concerned about this. Are dental schools compassionate about being ill and are you able to take your exams at a later time? I suffer from migraines and definitely cannot write an exam or study when I'm in that kind of pain. My undergrad institution is pretty understanding about this kind of stuff was just wondering if D-schools are.

dmd87, How often and how severe are your migraines? If you think it would give you problems with testing, how would you be able to practice dentistry after graduating on a day when you had a migraine? (Not attacking, just genuinely curious)

dmd87, How often and how severe are your migraines? If you think it would give you problems with testing, how would you be able to practice dentistry after graduating on a day when you had a migraine? (Not attacking, just genuinely curious)

my migraines are not that often, i usually get cluster ones, so they will happen in december usually (maybe cuz of intesne weather change? or maybe stress related). maybe take off those days where I get em alot? lol, lifestyle aspect of dentistry has its pro's for ppl like me... they have stronger meds for ppl who get them all the time too

with regard to testing, its not like it always happens, but they are severe enough that im able to get some accommodation from my undergrad institution. is this possible in dental school?