failing math

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maddhandless657

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone. im a freshman taking calc 2 and im failing it. should i withdraw..and if i do..how bad does it look with that W?

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I would just figure out what im doing wrong over spring break, play some catch up, and hope for a nice curve that will still land you an A. Were only half way through, and with some sort of campus tutoring service (if all else fails) you should be able to pull a comeback, assuming your getting at least 60-70's on your previous tests.

For example last semester i considered dropping P-Chem because of my 63 on the first exam, but then learned what i was doing wrong, caught up, and pulled an A. Its possible if you work.

If you do withdraw whats your plan of attack for round 2? Your already in this deep I'd finish up and GRO if it makes you feel better

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school its a "Grade replacement offer". Basicaly you can take the same class again. This will essentialy average your 2 scores.

Example:

First attempt 3 units of C: 2.00
2nd attempt 3 units of A: 4.00

This averages to a 3.00...Med Schools still see both grades, but every little bit helps.

Even with a strong second half, which isn't likely considering you're failing it now, you're unlikely to pull out a B or A. Drop it; you don't need it for 99% of the med schools out there, and nobody cares if you have a W or two on your transcript.

Drop it! Something I wish I'd known early on: Dropping a class- no one bats an eyelash. However, I've had an interviewer go down my transcript and ask about every C. Yes, most undergrad schools will replace the grade if you retake, but the medical school application counts both in your GPA. And since this is calc, it will count in your all important BCPM GPA, where a B for four or five credit hours can really make a dent. Don't risk it, drop and retake later, when you have more time.

jw karmega.. how many C's did u have lol..and did u get accepted there or anywhere..just curious :)

It seems every time a "should i drop this class" question comes up im the only one encouraging poeple to stick it out.

A quick calculation based on a conservative curve can easily tell you what you need to get a B. If its resonable then you might as well go for it!

Not a ton, but a few early on. Enough to make it an embarrassing situation. And, as of yesterday, going to FSU!!!

Definitely you should find out whether or not the professor is known for being generous with his curves. Seek out people who have taken the class, and also go and talk to him personally to find out what you can do. Sometimes professors really like students who show initiative and interest and improving their grades, and that can help you in the long run say if you're borderline. However, if there is no curve, and the professor is a jerk who doesn't care what you make, and you haven't got a clue about whats going on in the class, then it's probably best to just drop it. As you're a freshmen, you have plenty of time to retake it.

if you can't pull it up, drop it. take it later and be more prepared next time.

nope shes not very generous :) her husband wrote the freakin textbook!! lol..but yea shes known for giving the hardest exams and not curving by that much..so im kinda leanin towards the drop :(

drop it, a W is much easier on you when you apply/interview than a C,D or F. Just make sure you don't screw up when you retake it, and you'll be fine.

A single dropped class (or two) early in your college career won't even be noticed if the rest of your transcript is worthy.

Making a habit of dropping classes will not look good. However, most applicants have at least one dropped class. A few have many.

Your performance (assuming you have been working, not goofing off) up till now in the class is the best evidence for predicting what your performance will be like in the rest of the class. If you have been working hard and are getting a D/F, then it is unreasonable for you to believe that getting a good grade is likely. Mathmatically possible, metaphysically possible, but nomologically quite unlikely.

Also, why the hell would anyone take cal2? Calculus is hell, and it isn't even real math. Yuck. You don't even need calculus 2 for med school. You certainly won't use it while in med school. The only math you will use is arithmetic, some stats, logs & exponents. Thats all.

Maybe you are one of those engineering sickos. Hmmmm...

Good luck, kiddo....